University at Buffalo (SUNY) -- 2008 --- Part one!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jhu1

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just wanted to have a thread and organize this group for next year.

Has anyone recieved interviews yet?

Members don't see this ad.

I was complete 7-12 and nothing so far. Then again, they don't accept a lot of OOS students.

Cool thread! I will be interviewing at Buffalo on 8/22, less than a week! :eek:

For any NYers...how do you rate Buffalo compared to the other SUNYs??
(Right now my preference is based solely on location...but I'm sure it'll change once I get to know the schools a little better.)

Members don't see this ad :)
I will be interviewing there soon. Should be fun times.

well actually they do, the class of 10 has about 7 from CA only!
yeah, I found some stats from 2005 (class of '09) that UB interviewed 88 OOS students and accepted 23 of them. Not too bad :cool:
I dont know how reliable the source is (prob not too much), but hey, it's a small confidence booster given that my interview is next week :rolleyes:

Haven't heard a word from them yet

Does anyone know how soon they plan on getting back to applicants after interviews? It would be sweet to potentially have an acceptance before school starts.

i'm also interviewing on 8/22, i actually go to undergrad there.

Does anyone know how soon they plan on getting back to applicants after interviews? It would be sweet to potentially have an acceptance before school starts.
I read somewhere that later in the admissions process it only takes a week for UB to give notices...that would be SO nice. :) But my understanding was that no school sends out first notices until Oct 15th-ish...is that completely wrong?

knowing a week afterwards would be great because I'd be able to withdraw many of my applications.

when you are done with your interview, your decison is made in the evening of the interview day and It only takes 24-48 hours to get your results updated online so that you can check that out. :scared:

I think UB is the fastest ever in that regard in the world!! :love:

Members don't see this ad :)
But what about this supposed AAMC rule of not giving out acceptances until after October 15th?

This is my first interview and i am so glad it is at Buffalo. Never been to NY so I am a bit excited. To the OP, what do you like about the school so far. If they ask me why I apply to UB, the only thing I can say is that because its so darn close to Niagara falls :D

I am really interested in schools that are very heavily involved in the community and where I could observe lot of minority based medicine. I am also very interested in pediatric neurology but I haven't been able to find much about it at UB.
As for interview on Aug 29th....:scared:

To the OP, what do you like about the school so far. If they ask me why I apply to UB, the only thing I can say is that because its so darn close to Niagara falls :D

I am really interested in schools that are very

Thats called cheating ... lol ... you should know why you are applyig to this school my friend ! :D

Hi,

I am an out of state student from a private liberal arts college (3.4 science gpa, 3.5 overall gpa, 30P MCAT (10,10,10). I really want to go to UB (even though I didn't apply early decision). My secondary was verified no July 25. Do you think it would be a good idea to give the admissions committee a call (maybe even Rosso) or would they see that I am being impatient and annoying. Thanks.

Hi,

I am an out of state student from a private liberal arts college (3.4 science gpa, 3.5 overall gpa, 30P MCAT (10,10,10). I really want to go to UB (even though I didn't apply early decision). My secondary was verified no July 25. Do you think it would be a good idea to give the admissions committee a call (maybe even Rosso) or would they see that I am being impatient and annoying. Thanks.

they welcome calls as long as u dont call everyday! I would say wait cause its not only a month and it takes sometime. You MCAT is good, ur GPA is low so I guess u have a chance for interview if you have had other good ECs!

yeah, I found some stats from 2005 (class of '09) that UB interviewed 88 OOS students and accepted 23 of them. Not too bad :cool:
I dont know how reliable the source is (prob not too much), but hey, it's a small confidence booster given that my interview is next week :rolleyes:

that's on the second lastest msar. 23 matriculated out of 88 oos interviews, so there were more that were accepted right?

I actually emailed Rosso earlier this summer about out of state applicants, UB accepted 87 out of state students and matriculated 26.
entering class is 135. (for 2010 class).

88 interviews with 87 acceptances. So an interview is basically an acceptance.

haha, yes, Mr. Rosso. i was copying and pasting my email.

But i think i already sent the wrong message in my email to him. I mentioned i purchased the MSAR book to see where I wanted to apply and that Buffalo did not have its out of state data listed. i hope he didnt think i just randomly chose to apply to buffalo. ive lived in the buffalo rochester area for 8+ years (have moved away obviously) and i really want to move back! im dissapointed that the secondary didnt have any type of questions that we could answer.

I have an interview sept. 5th. I'm really excited because I'm from Buffalo and it will be nice to go home. Does anyone know how long the interview day will last? I'm hoping I didn't book my return flight too early...

I have an interview sept. 5th. I'm really excited because I'm from Buffalo and it will be nice to go home. Does anyone know how long the interview day will last? I'm hoping I didn't book my return flight too early...

They tell you to make flight arrangements after 5pm. Don't worry though, UB is very accommodating; if you have to leave early, they will make sure you are first to interview and you should be done around 3-3:30.

88 interviews with 87 acceptances. So an interview is basically an acceptance.
haha...now there's some positive thinking! :cool: I think tonight I'm gonna have a pretty happy dream ;)

any new updates? Oct 15 is coiming soon!!!

I have my interview next Tuesday. It's the coldest school I applied to. I don't know how I feel about that

Oh, I'm so glad to have found this thread! I interviewed at Buffalo last week and it's definitely my #1 choice. I hope I get it!!! I'm dying for 10/15. Do you think we'll get a response on the 15th? I'm nervous.

Ok, back to work. :luck::luck: everyone!

Oh, I'm so glad to have found this thread! I interviewed at Buffalo last week and it's definitely my #1 choice. I hope I get it!!! I'm dying for 10/15. Do you think we'll get a response on the 15th? I'm nervous.

Ok, back to work. :luck::luck: everyone!

I think you have a chance of hearing something by 10/15 ... they are pretty quick in that regard!

Hey guys, legally they can't say anything about your decision until october 15th. I also interviewed there and its my current first choice. I'm not from around there, or even from NY, but I like the school and I want to get away from where I am at the moment. I want to live somewhere new for a while.

I loved the faculty that I met. The students that I met, not so much, but thats only a very small fraction of the student body.

I actually emailed Rosso earlier this summer about out of state applicants, UB accepted 87 out of state students and matriculated 26.
entering class is 135. (for 2010 class).

This is pretty insane. Can anyone else confirm this? I'm out of state and buffalo is my first choice.

This is pretty insane. Can anyone else confirm this? I'm out of state and buffalo is my first choice.

according to us news & w.r.: 157 oos applicants interviewed, 87 accepted, 26 matriculated.

hmmm.

Conflicting information.

Its a little late but. Is anyone interviewing there tomorrow and want to share a room tonight? I don't feel like paying $90 for a hotel with two beds if I'm only going to use one. Or if your in the area and want to host me that would be great.

This was my first interview in late august and I LOVED the school. It's too bad that they don't like OOS applicants much. I'm from California, but I really want to move away. I applied to 3 cali schools because I felt that if I get rejected by all the oos schools, maybe I would atleast have some sort of chance here (probably not). But, I really hope UB accepts me...I can't concentrate in school, lab, etc because I'm dying to hear from them. OCT 15th is going to be emotional (I hope in a good way). So I'm scared. Reassure me people.

This was my first interview in late august and I LOVED the school. It's too bad that they don't like OOS applicants much. I'm from California, but I really want to move away. I applied to 3 cali schools because I felt that if I get rejected by all the oos schools, maybe I would atleast have some sort of chance here (probably not). But, I really hope UB accepts me...I can't concentrate in school, lab, etc because I'm dying to hear from them. OCT 15th is going to be emotional (I hope in a good way). So I'm scared. Reassure me people.
I know completely how you feel! But hey, dont stress too much. According to the US News & WR, UB has a 55% acceptance rate for OOS interviewees. Throw in the fact that you were in the first bunch of students interviewered and youve got a lot going for you, regardless of stats.

Waitlisted. Good or bad?:confused:
1) how did you find out?
2) I wouldnt worry about it. It's not an acceptance but, from what I can tell, many UB applicants are put on the waitlist only to end up being pulled right off it in March and later.

1) how did you find out?
2) I wouldnt worry about it. It's not an acceptance but, from what I can tell, many UB applicants are put on the waitlist only to end up being pulled right off it in March and later.

Got the email this morning.

1) how did you find out?

are you still waiting to hear, too?

also, i agree with the above post. that's what i've heard as well. :luck:!

are you still waiting to hear, too?

also, i agree with the above post. that's what i've heard as well. :luck:!

Did anyone actually get accepted at Buffalo today?

Waitlisted. Good or bad?:confused:

it depends where you are on the list! you can call and ask them which third you are in. If you are upper 1/3, thats is same as late acceptance if you remain upper 1/3 till april. if you are in lower 1/3 from now, then you still have a chance but you should think about your Plan B.

How do you find out where you are ranked on the waitlist?

How do you find out where you are ranked on the waitlist?

I'm on the waitlist as well. I spoke with Mr. Rosso about it on Tuesday and he told me to call back in January. They will have a better idea of where everyone on the waitlist is ranked. :luck::luck:!! here's to the top 1/3! (please!)