University of Arizona c/o 2011

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

melissainsd

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I thought there was already a thread but I guess not. Congrats to those of us that got the email this morning, and good luck to those that may not have been reviewed yet. I can't wait for campus placement! I chose Phoenix...what about everyone else?

Members don't see this ad.

Congratulations to everyone who got in, and those who will :)
I'm going to be at the Tucson campus next year (i was on a deferral year, so i already knew where i was going to be, I don't have a pipeline on classified information.... or a reliable phone psychic) so I look forward to meeting all of you who'll be there as well.

CONGRATS to all of you who got in to UA! This has long been my dream, and I can't believe its actually come true! I look forward to meeting you all in August.

Members don't see this ad :)
I wanted to see if any of you guys know where the good place to live are in tucson? Where do most med students live? I've been to the campus once since my interviews and I'm not too sure I want to live right near campus (undergrads + UA sports = craziness). Let me know if you guys have any info on this

I wanted to see if any of you guys know where the good place to live are in tucson? Where do most med students live? I've been to the campus once since my interviews and I'm not too sure I want to live right near campus (undergrads + UA sports = craziness). Let me know if you guys have any info on this

You can PM me specific locations. My husband is a Tucson police officer so he knows the area really well.

Campus placements came out today...where are you going?

I was assigned to the Tucson campus. How about you?

omgwtfbbq?Congratulations to everyone who got in, and those who will :)
I'm going to be at the Tucson campus next year (i was on a deferral year, so i already knew where i was going to be, I don't have a pipeline on classified information.... or a reliable phone psychic) so I look forward to meeting all of you who'll be there as well.

I have been accepted to UA as well. Congrats guys!

I'm considering deferral, but I was under the impression that UA did not grant deferrals. What's your story? Was it easy to get approval from the school?

I'm not sure if the deferral rules have changed. They gave a few out last year, but if you've heard they've stopped the best thing to do is check. As far as difficulty goes, it depends. I personally did not have a difficult time, but I had also taken a lot of time to write a proposal discussing why I need the year off and what I plan to do with it. I already had plans for the year arranged, and so I went into the deferral-request process really prepared. Which, I think, helped a great deal. Then it was easy. They really liked my proposal, agreed that it was worth the year "off" {it wasn't really "off" I've been working like crazy during it.....no pina coladas by the beach.. darn..
:thumbdown: ] and then we just made it official with some paperwork which took a little time.

Now the quick post-deferral run-down : do I think it was worth it. no and yes. Yes, because going into medical school with a "oh, if only i could have done this one thing before i started....." itching in your brain is bad. so i don't have that. and i'm more ready to start then i've ever been and I have some perspective. Also, I'm probably a little calmer going into the whole thing :)
I did what I needed/wanted to do, and now its med school time.
As for the no .... I think i could have just started and been just as happy. Much of the time I think I should have just started. Ah, but then there would have been that itch........ so.......

think really carefully if a deferral is what you want to do. make sure you have a really good reason before asking. and make sure you are realistic about what you want to accomplish in your year, that's important, but less discussed.

Good luck with asking for your deferral (if they still take the requests)
what do you want to do with your year? [feel free to PM me]

Hi All!
Did anyone go to the second look day last friday? Im headed to the one on the 20th. Any feedback on what is was like? New info? How many people? etc...

Hi All!
Did anyone go to the second look day last friday? Im headed to the one on the 20th. Any feedback on what is was like? New info? How many people? etc...

I went to the 2nd look program yesterday. I was impressed. I'm really glad I went. The tour was much more extensive than on the interview day. Was anyone else impressed?