University of Arizona interview!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DoctorWannaBe

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just got invited to an interview at U of A medical school, and I was wondering if there's anyone here who has interviewed there, and what you thought of it. I'm very nervous because it is my first interview and I feel so unprepared about my interviewing skills, especially the issues in medicine. Any opinions or advice about the interview?

Members don't see this ad.

First of all, relax! I interviewed there back in September and the day is very laid back. If you interview in the morning you'll meet with the director of admissions for roughly 45 minutes and she'll go over all the general information. You'll then be sent off to find your interviewer (she'll give you detailed directions). My interview lasted about 40 minutes. It is closed file so he knew nothing about me and didn't want to know my GPA/MCAT scores. The community physician who I interviewed with also asked that I not tell him my numbers, so I think they are truly interested in getting to know the person behind the application. The faculty interview was very conversational and basically we just talked about my experiences and why I want to go into medicine. You may want to brush up on the issues of illegal immigrants from Mexico using the University for health care and the lack of trauma services in Tucson, we did talk about those issues but I brought them up. I would just suggest that you relax, be yourself and enjoy the interview. They really aren't out to get you. PM me if you have any more questions.

Don't worry about it. Honestly, the interviews were not stressful. I actually didn't have any questions about health issues...it was pretty much just a get to know you interview. I pretty much got to direct the course of the interview.

My advice...first relax. Second, figure out what you want the interviewer to know about you and make sure you get to say it (most will ask you if there is anything else you would like them to know), have your 'life story" down...it will be asked, and come prepared to talk a lot about yourself (this will keep them from asking those pesky "issue" questions).

But most importantly...just be yourself. Don't make yourself pretentious....UofA really isn't that type of place. One thing I have really been surprised at is how pretty much everyone in my class is a really nice person...I don't think UofA is BSing with they say that they are looking for nice people who will be good doctors.

Good Luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for your advice... I will try to relax! I'm hoping this interview will go ok, as it is my first, and U of A is one of my top choices.

Originally posted by MichiMO
. One thing I have really been surprised at is how pretty much everyone in my class is a really nice person...I don't think UofA is BSing with they say that they are looking for nice people who will be good doctors.

Good Luck!

Thanks MichiMO!

You're not so bad yourself.;)

Also to the OP. like others said. just relax. i remember when i interviewed here last year it was my first interview...and to top it off UA was a top choice, so i felt the stress too. i could barely eat any of the lunch because i was interviewing after lunch and all i could think about were all those lame questions (ethical, moral, etc.) that you hear you need to have answers to.

i was scared to death. needless to say, i was all worked up over nothing for both interviews. both interviewers just asked questions about myself and wanted to get to know me. both of their first statements were "so tell me about yourself." i've found this to be true for most of my classmates as well. so relax and show them who you are...the real you. have your story ready to tell.