University of Arizona - Tucson & Phoenix Class of 2014

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
To all you Tucson acceptees (I know we're the minority here on SDN), Tucson sent out an email saying that second look is going to be Friday April 23rd from 2-5pm. I wish they had a second look weekend like Phoenix, so it could be like a two day party, but that's ok I guess. I mean, what are you gunna do for two days anyways? After a few hours of drinkin' and snortin' coke, I'm ready to pass out. How do you guys do it for two days in Phoenix??? JK, JK, the only coke I do is Coke Zero (real Coke taste, zero Calories!).

ok this might be a dumb question.......but for a revisit, what kind of attire is appropriate? since we'll be in class and _______ (insert whatever else goes on in a revisit day here lol).

Members don't see this ad :)
ok this might be a dumb question.......but for a revisit, what kind of attire is appropriate? since we'll be in class and _______ (insert whatever else goes on in a revisit day here lol).

For a revisit to Tucson, I would suggest you wear as much ASU stuff as possible...JK, I don't even remember if you were from ASU or UA (or maybe you're one of those crazy NAUers).

Dang, with all this talk of revisits, I am starting to feel like I should do one too! Are they as exciting as you all are making them out to be?

You will be with med students, many of whom will be wearing jeans and T-shirts. I went with business casual.

For a revisit to Tucson, I would suggest you wear as much ASU stuff as possible...JK, I don't even remember if you were from ASU or UA (or maybe you're one of those crazy NAUers).

Dang, with all this talk of revisits, I am starting to feel like I should do one too! Are they as exciting as you all are making them out to be?

...i'm a wildcat....lol. but thats fine. i really dont care THAT much about the "rivalry"...but i will root for U of A over ASU in sports. but if its ASU versus someone else, yah i'll root for 'em...i just love the state i guess lol

i had a friend just do the phoenix one, and he told me they made him "feel like a king".....direct quote.

You will be with med students, many of whom will be wearing jeans and T-shirts. I went with business casual.

so jeans and longsleeve buttondown should be legit then. thanks for the info. :thumbup:

...i'm a wildcat....lol. but thats fine. i really dont care THAT much about the "rivalry"...but i will root for U of A over ASU in sports. but if its ASU versus someone else, yah i'll root for 'em...i just love the state i guess lol

i had a friend just do the phoenix one, and he told me they made him "feel like a king".....direct quote.

so jeans and longsleeve buttondown should be legit then. thanks for the info. :thumbup:

Jturkel..they did make me feel like a king :laugh:

After a few hours of drinkin' and snortin' coke, I'm ready to pass out. How do you guys do it for two days in Phoenix??? JK, JK, the only coke I do is Coke Zero (real Coke taste, zero Calories!).

:laugh:

Cocaine has zero calories too! Does that mean I can stop feeling so guilty about doing it every night?

Lets just say JTurkel...summer school physics was pretty fun ;) lol

haha....i figured it was you after you posted about your experience at Phx the same day i spoke with you on fb....haha go figure.....RONWEASLEY....pff what was that comment about your having red hair? haha....lies. lies lies.

Members don't see this ad :)
:laugh:

Cocaine has zero calories too! Does that mean I can stop feeling so guilty about doing it every night?

As long as you're doing it off of the backside of a stripper it is ok. Actually, I think there is a loophole in the law that allows for coke done off of stripper's booty to be considered a "religious experience," and therefore totally legal! I do it a couple times a week!

Man, it feels good to be accepted to medical school already, and not have to be paranoid about them finding out who I am on SDN and not accepting me because of it. Now that they've accepted me, its too late for them...right? Wait, they could rescind their offer of acceptance...Er, I mean, the only coke I do is coke zero, and the only interaction I have with strippers is trying to convince them quit their job and "lead the 'good' life." Please don't take away my acceptance UA-COM admissions people...

haha....i figured it was you after you posted about your experience at Phx the same day i spoke with you on fb....haha go figure.....RONWEASLEY....pff what was that comment about your having red hair? haha....lies. lies lies.

What! Ron Weasley doesn't have red hair?!??!? What kind of Ron Weasley are you?

Wow this thread has definitely been hijacked. I feel bad for the people trying to use this thread as means of good information. Oh well. I pretty much hijack every thread I comment on anyway.

I should put a disclaimer on the first page... SKIP PAGE 5: Nothing but sex, drugs, and total nonsense.

Wow this thread has definitely been hijacked. I feel bad for the people trying to use this thread as means of good information. Oh well. I pretty much hijack every thread I comment on anyway.

I should put a disclaimer on the first page... SKIP PAGE 5: Nothing but sex, drugs, and total nonsense.

What about Rock & Roll!? I started off this page by talking about Rock Band!

I added your disclaimer to the first post of this thread. Feel free to provide me with any feedback you deem necessary regarding said disclaimer.

What about Rock & Roll!? I started off this page by talking about Rock Band!

Apparently MadE doesn't know how to rock n roll all night, and therefore probably doesn't know how to party everyday either...VERY disappointing.

Please don't take away my acceptance UA-COM admissions people...
I'm glad I'm not the only person worried about this, considering that most of my emails to UACOMPHX are pestering them about revisits and asking for information for my friends still waiting...

This is basically the med school experience in a nutshell, right Mad?

What! Ron Weasley doesn't have red hair?!??!? What kind of Ron Weasley are you?

This ron weasley does not have red hair..haha, BUT when i was revisiting phoenix, I did see the first year red head!

how much are parking passes for phoenix?

Same as (or similar to?) Tucson - $450, I believe, for the year. I wasn't going to get one, and many students don't (and just park on side streets or at the nearby apartment complex where many students live), but my grandma insisted on buying me one. :)

This is basically the med school experience in a nutshell, right Mad?

If only shep... :cry:

This is a 12 hour (well 11 and a half... got to work a little time in for SDN [and sex and drugs and rocknroll, of course]) study/class day for me. :thumbdown:

lrk, if you partied with us, you would not be disappointed. And salt, of course rocknroll. You should hear me sing karaoke... or hear bro sing ave maria. I think I'm slightly more talented myself, actually... :D

And, I park on the side streets. I am at slightly greater risk of getting my car ransacked or scuffed up I suppose (I never leave it out there past 5 PM - which is a good idea because after 5 PM you can park on campus), but I'm willing to take that small risk to save 450 bones. Most of the students just fork over the $$, though.

And, I park on the side streets. I am at slightly greater risk of getting my car ransacked or scuffed up I suppose (I never leave it out there past 5 PM - which is a good idea because after 5 PM you can park on campus), but I'm willing to take that small risk to save 450 bones. Most of the students just fork over the $$, though.

$450? That's it? After riding my bike to ASU for all of undergrad, I'm ready to just be able to freakin' drive to school and have a short walk to class! I did 2 semesters at MCC where parking is free, and it was great to be able to drive to school. I have a great bike, but I'm just sick of ruining my shower riding my bike to school.

$450? That's it? After riding my bike to ASU for all of undergrad, I'm ready to just be able to freakin' drive to school and have a short walk to class! I did 2 semesters at MCC where parking is free, and it was great to be able to drive to school. I have a great bike, but I'm just sick of ruining my shower riding my bike to school.

Ha, nice. Yeah, those of us from Flag are pretty bummed - I've never paid that much before, not even close!

And thanks, Mad, though you probably are more talented. :p

Ha, nice. Yeah, those of us from Flag are pretty bummed - I've never paid that much before, not even close!

And thanks, Mad, though you probably are more talented. :p

Yeah, but in Flagstaff you have to shovel the snow out of your parking spot, so they have to subtract that out of the cost...

I checked on the UA website, and for those going to Tucons who care, the exact price for parking near the med schools looks to be $468. I can't wait to use my parking pass to go hang out in the cadaver lab at 1 a.m. That's not weird right?

Yeah, but in Flagstaff you have to shovel the snow out of your parking spot, so they have to subtract that out of the cost...

I checked on the UA website, and for those going to Tucons who care, the exact price for parking near the med schools looks to be $468. I can't wait to use my parking pass to go hang out in the cadaver lab at 1 a.m. That's not weird right?

haha...after 5pm, you dont need a pass to park in zone1 lots, which i think is all the lots around UA COM in Tucson. Now they have a garage, but I don't think/know if that is for medical students for daily parking. I know that patients park there....but idk.

the CatTran is very convenient if you live near one of its stops. and biking isn't to bad either. tons of biking to/from school, depending on where you live. i love tucson....sounds weird, but after four yrs of undergrad, tucson grew on me...a lot

haha...after 5pm, you dont need a pass to park in zone1 lots, which i think is all the lots around UA COM in Tucson. Now they have a garage, but I don't think/know if that is for medical students for daily parking. I know that patients park there....but idk.

the CatTran is very convenient if you live near one of its stops. and biking isn't to bad either. tons of biking to/from school, depending on where you live. i love tucson....sounds weird, but after four yrs of undergrad, tucson grew on me...a lot

Wait, so are there parking structures near the COM for students? I don't want to park in a lot like a half mile or mile away from school, and honestly my wife and I don't plan on living anywhere near enough to campus for me to bike or catch the CatTran thing. Also, is the COM pretty secluded from the undergrad part of campus?

Wait, so are there parking structures near the COM for students? I don't want to park in a lot like a half mile or mile away from school, and honestly my wife and I don't plan on living anywhere near enough to campus for me to bike or catch the CatTran thing. Also, is the COM pretty secluded from the undergrad part of campus?

on the east side of UMC and southwest to it, there are zone 1 parking lots. it wont be a far walk from the lots. there is a parking garage like i said, but i think thats only available to patients. i' m 100% sure that students Zone 1....at least we did for undergrad if we had a zone1 permit, which lets us park in any lot that is designated as zone1

COM is on the north side of Speedway Blvd. Undergrad is mostly on the other side of the street between Campbell and Park. However, Eller (the business school) is on the the north side of Speedway and undergrads studying in the business field take classes there. however, that is west of the COM by a couple of blocks.....

so you likely wont see a bunch of undergrads at the COM or hospital area, but if for some reason you wanted to, just walk across the street lol. you might see them walking around or biking nearby as there is a lot of housing near UMC/COM.

on the east side of UMC and southwest to it, there are zone 1 parking lots. it wont be a far walk from the lots. there is a parking garage like i said, but i think thats only available to patients. i' m 100% sure that students Zone 1....at least we did for undergrad if we had a zone1 permit, which lets us park in any lot that is designated as zone1

COM is on the north side of Speedway Blvd. Undergrad is mostly on the other side of the street between Campbell and Park. However, Eller (the business school) is on the the north side of Speedway and undergrads studying in the business field take classes there. however, that is west of the COM by a couple of blocks.....

so you likely wont see a bunch of undergrads at the COM or hospital area, but if for some reason you wanted to, just walk across the street lol. you might see them walking around or biking nearby as there is a lot of housing near UMC/COM.

:laugh: haha, no thanks! I love going on campus in the summer when very few undergrads are around. Its just so nice and calm. Its not that I hate undergrads, I just don't really like crowded, chaotic places.

Thanks for all the info! I'm sure they'll tell us all this stuff at second look, but SDN is easier than waiting until April.

it really is a great location. if you ever wanna go to a football/basketball game, its like a 10-15 minute walk from the COM. bars are on the other side of the speedway. tons of restaurants nearby. it's perfect. :love:

If we are accepted at Tucson are we suppose to expect anything in the mail? How long do we have to let them know of our decision and how do we send it in? The email was a bit vague, or maybe I was too excited to fully comprehend what the rest of it said!

You aren't going to get anything in the mail (initially, at least) from Tucson. Unlike Phoenix, they don't mail out acceptance letters. You'll have two weeks I believe to mail them both a letter accepting the position and the signed and notarized affidavit of competency.

So do I just write up a letter? Also, I am still waiting for my top school, and if I get in I can still revoke my acceptance right?

Yeah, just write up something to the effect of I, MNF, accept the position at the UACOM Tucson. Then you have to prick your finger with a needle and place exactly three drops of blood over your signature. You have now signed a blood oath, and if you go to any school other than UACOM Tucson your eternal soul is forfeit to Beezlebub. Oh no wait, that's law school. Yeah, if you get in at your top choice you have until May 15th to choose one.

Well guys, Mayo finally kicked me to the curb, so I am 100% absolutely going to be at UA next year! It feels great to have that closure and know where I will be for the next four years of my life! Post-interview, UA and Mayo were my top two med school choices in the country, and by the end I really felt like I liked both about equally so I psyched to be where I'm wanted. Is it time for MS-I to start yet, or what???? Damn I'm sick of waiting!

Well guys, Mayo finally kicked me to the curb, so I am 100% absolutely going to be at UA next year! It feels great to have that closure and know where I will be for the next four years of my life! Post-interview, UA and Mayo were my top two med school choices in the country, and by the end I really felt like I liked both about equally so I psyched to be where I'm wanted. Is it time for MS-I to start yet, or what???? Damn I'm sick of waiting!

sorry to hear that. IMO, Arizona > Minnesota. you headed to Tucson or Phx? Tucson IIRC...

sorry to hear that. IMO, Arizona > Minnesota. you headed to Tucson or Phx? Tucson IIRC...

Yup, Tucson will be my home for the next four years.

I must say in general I do agree that overall Arizona is better than Minnesota, but I really liked Rochester (where Mayo is). Its a great small city, that seemed perfect for raising a family in. Oh well, I will apply there again for residency, but for now I am super excited to be 100% committed to UA-COM. It just makes me that much more excited for med school to start.

Yup, Tucson will be my home for the next four years.

I must say in general I do agree that overall Arizona is better than Minnesota, but I really liked Rochester (where Mayo is). Its a great small city, that seemed perfect for raising a family in. Oh well, I will apply there again for residency, but for now I am super excited to be 100% committed to UA-COM. It just makes me that much more excited for med school to start.

It must definitely be nice to know where you will be heading next yr. I still have to wait. ugh....but you will love Tucson despite what you may have heard about it in Tempe and Phx.......even though you are an ASU grad....after living there for four years, i can honestly say i miss it

It must definitely be nice to know where you will be heading next yr. I still have to wait. ugh....but you will love Tucson despite what you may have heard about it in Tempe and Phx.......even though you are an ASU grad....after living there for four years, i can honestly say i miss it

Waiting sucks, but it can be worth it.

I'm actually really excited about Tucson. I can only imagine there are plenty of places to get some good mexican food (just like up here in Phoenix), which is really important for me. I could eat freakin' chicken burritos every day. The only concern I have is some of the UA undergrads who have been known to key cars with ASU decals or slash their tires. I don't actually know how much validity there is to these things, but I'm certainly going to protect my car by keeping it free of ASU stuff while I'm down there.

One last question, who is considered notary public for the Technical Standard Afadavit, and how do you know when their commission expires?

Most banks have a notary, and they show you their license so that you can be sure it's not expired.

One last question, who is considered notary public for the Technical Standard Afadavit, and how do you know when their commission expires?

My friend works at UPS and they (call before to verify that a notary is on staff) can notarize as well.

Most banks have a notary, and they show you their license so that you can be sure it's not expired.

The bank is where I went. It should be free if you do your banking with them (it may also be free even if you don't, but I don't know for sure). It is really quick and easy.

Declined Tucson today, looking forward to starting at Phoenix!

Nice! Contrats j. Now you have 2nd look weekend coming up to look forward to. :thumbup:

Well screw you too then! +pissed+

Obviously I am kidding. Congrats on making the decision. You're one step closer now.

I've had a bunch of time on my hands to think about different things (not studying/caring about your classes will do that), and I was wondering about Step 1 stuff. At a school I was recently rejected from, they do optional weekly step 1 reviews spring of second year to help refresh people's minds. Does UA do anything similar to that. Also, does UA provide any practice tests, or do we need to purchase those on our own? I know that I'm thinking about stuff that is OVER two years away, but its better to daydream about medical school than study for real school.

I've had a bunch of time on my hands to think about different things (not studying/caring about your classes will do that), and I was wondering about Step 1 stuff. At a school I was recently rejected from, they do optional weekly step 1 reviews spring of second year to help refresh people's minds. Does UA do anything similar to that. Also, does UA provide any practice tests, or do we need to purchase those on our own? I know that I'm thinking about stuff that is OVER two years away, but its better to daydream about medical school than study for real school.

good questions. +1 to what you asked.

good questions. +1 to what you asked.

Glad I'm not the only crazy one around. :cool:

I also thought of another related question: how long does UA give students to exclusively study for the boards (i.e. after MS-II classes are done before MS-III)?