University of Buffalo

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dam272

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Any input regarding Anesthesiology residency program at Univ of Buffalo? As per older posts, it seems to be a malignant program with poor board passing rates. How much of that is still true?

Members don't see this ad.

Any input regarding Anesthesiology residency program at Univ of Buffalo? As per older posts, it seems to be a malignant program with poor board passing rates. How much of that is still true?

Well it's in Buffalo... do you like cold weather?

Members don't see this ad :)
Bump

My interview there was pretty interesting in that there was no tour of the hospitals and there were only 3 residents to speak to on the interview day.

Could a current resident or Buffalo Med student speak on the department? It seemed a little weird in that there was not a central location for the department. How much do the residents work? Is there good teaching or is it mostly self study and learning?

I only ask because (like I said) there were only 3 residents at interview day and I received conflicting info from them. The most recent post about the program is around 5-6 years ago and doesn't really touch on the quality of the education.

Thanks

The new program director has made a major difference in the program and replaced some who was less than engaged in the day to day activity. I have known her since she was a first year resident and have followed her career closely so I am well aware of her abilities. The medical school recently moved adjacent to the largest hospital system which is a positive. SUNY Buffalo is relatively unique in the fact that there is no central university hospital and the medical school relies on a consortium of hospitals that include private and government run hospitals. The advantage is that residents are exposed to a variety of practices and the clinical material that residents are exposed to is very diverse. Residents who are successful in the program have no difficulty transitioning into practice.

I work in the largest private practice in the community and frequently work with medical students and residents. Feel free to reach out to me.

@Drwine I was wondering if you mind I ask couple questions in regards to the program. I am happy that I am slowing inching away from the West coast (Currently somewhere in the middle!) and I am very excited that I will be doing a Anesthesiology Sub-I at UB later this year. Specifically I am wondering if you can share some insights in regards to living in Buffalo as a resident/attending and Fellowship prospect of the program (according to Doximity UB does quite well in this area!)
Thank you for your time and have a great day!

Send me a private message with your cell number and we can speak over the phone.

Hello @Drwine ! Thank you for offering your time! I have actually tried to send you a message prior to this but sdn is not letting me do so. Would you mind sending me a message and maybe I can respond to that?

Thank you!
Send me a private message with your cell number and we can speak over the phone.