University of California Post Bacc Programs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SilentSoldier

Woke up, flawless. Post up, flawless
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I don't know if this is the right place to post but I guess I should. Alright so I decided to postpone my graduation by a year to go study abroad and took up a second major in order to stay (since my school kicks out bio majors with the quickness) so I could study abroad. Currently a biology / psychology double major and really enjoying both sides of it. My question is regarding a post bacc, I have a couple of C's and C+ in some upper division bio classes and was wondering if I should retake them in a post bac (once I get in one) or take other classes in general? If I decide to take the UC post bac programs (since I don't really feel like moving out of state for a one year worth of classes), will they let me retake those classes I got a C-C+ in or will I have to take completely different classes?

Is there anyone here who's taken a UC post bacc that knows how it works?

Members don't see this ad.

I don't know if this is the right place to post but I guess I should. Alright so I decided to postpone my graduation by a year to go study abroad and took up a second major in order to stay (since my school kicks out bio majors with the quickness) so I could study abroad. Currently a biology / psychology double major and really enjoying both sides of it. My question is regarding a post bacc, I have a couple of C's and C+ in some upper division bio classes and was wondering if I should retake them in a post bac (once I get in one) or take other classes in general? If I decide to take the UC post bac programs (since I don't really feel like moving out of state for a one year worth of classes), will they let me retake those classes I got a C-C+ in or will I have to take completely different classes?

Is there anyone here who's taken a UC post bacc that knows how it works?

Whether a postbac "lets you" retake these classes or not is likely less interesting than what happens when you apply to med school.

MD schools count all coursework, so repeats count twice. So, retaking a class doesn't help your GPA any more than taking a new class. But, if you got anything less than a C (including C-) in a prereq, you're likely required to fix that with a retake.

DO schools, on the other hand, only count the new grade in a retake.

Possibly of interest:
links to all the UC postbacs (I just found 'em)
Why California residency might not be that worth fighting for

Best of luck to you.

You have to remember that all UC post baccs have this important requirement:
Come from an educationally and/or economically disadvantaged background

Members don't see this ad :)
not all of them no,

most yes.

The consortium website, on the front page, says:
"The University of California Schools of Medicine, with major funding from The California Endowment, offer comprehensive postbaccalaureate programs designed to assist students from educationally and economically disadvantaged backgrounds in gaining admission to medical school. The programs seek students who are committed to practicing in underserved communities of California."

So help us out, what are you talking about?

Regardless, the OP is black, based on his previous posts.

You have to remember that all UC post baccs have this important requirement:
Come from an educationally and/or economically disadvantaged background

I know, and I meet the requirements, I'm just confused about the grade changing thing. Since I know AMCAS only averages grades (which I think is kind of weird) I would just like to know is it worth to repeat, if possible, C and C+. An 'A' and a C+ would probably average out to a B, B+ wouldn't it?

I know, and I meet the requirements, I'm just confused about the grade changing thing. Since I know AMCAS only averages grades (which I think is kind of weird)
Well, you know, it's GPA. AACOMAS offers GPAw/F (grade point average with forgiveness), AMCAS does not.
I would just like to know is it worth to repeat, if possible, C and C+. An 'A' and a C+ would probably average out to a B, B+ wouldn't it?
Yes, but repeating a class to get that A vs. taking a new class to get that A has the same effect on your GPA. If you got a C in biochem, for example, sure, take biochem again because that's super relevant. But if you got a C in ecology or riparian herpetology or whatever, then I'd let that alone and take immuno or genetics or something that helps you in med school. Or, raise the ecology C with an A in medieval history, or something you really wish you'd had time to take. An A is an A.

Well, you know, it's GPA. AACOMAS offers GPAw/F (grade point average with forgiveness), AMCAS does not.

Yes, but repeating a class to get that A vs. taking a new class to get that A has the same effect on your GPA. If you got a C in biochem, for example, sure, take biochem again because that's super relevant. But if you got a C in ecology or riparian herpetology or whatever, then I'd let that alone and take immuno or genetics or something that helps you in med school. Or, raise the ecology C with an A in medieval history, or something you really wish you'd had time to take. An A is an A.

You're right, I actually decided to add a second major because there are a ton of classes that I really were interested in. Suffice to say, the classes in that major are chock full of A's :p. Should've minored in bio probably wouldn't be going through this.

Anyways, thanks for all your help. Looks like I just needed to find the right place to where there are a group of nice people out there to help.

The consortium website, on the front page, says:
"The University of California Schools of Medicine, with major funding from The California Endowment, offer comprehensive postbaccalaureate programs designed to assist students from educationally and economically disadvantaged backgrounds in gaining admission to medical school. The programs seek students who are committed to practicing in underserved communities of California."

So help us out, what are you talking about?

Regardless, the OP is black, based on his previous posts.

It is my understanding that the definition basis disadvantaged status of societal or economical disadvantages which prohibited an individual from full pursuit of a degree.

And thats the AAMC definition.

Hope I helped you out Doc.