University of Charleston School of Pharmacy C/O 2017

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SKK316

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Didn't see a thread here so I thought I would start one. Is anyone else applying here this year? Has anyone gotten an interview invite?

Members don't see this ad.

Didn't see a thread here so I thought I would start one. Is anyone else applying here this year? Has anyone gotten an interview invite?

I got an interview on Nov 9th :)

Congrats and good luck! I chose Dec. 8 for my interview. :)

Members don't see this ad :)
I got an interview on November 9th as well. I'm super excited! Charleston is my first choice!

I also received an invitation for an interview, I believe I will be taking the December 8th slot.

Hi guys. Did any of you experience technical problems when submitting your prerequisite verification form? For some reason when I try to click e-mail button, it sends me message that the operation is prohibited. :scared:

Got a mail from them asking me to apply. Maybe I should bite and apply as a backup.

Hey guys, I'm wondering if getting a mail inviting us to apply to University of Charleston means that we have a greater chance of getting accepted b/c they've seen our PCAT scores or something, I don't know. Or are these schools just looking for application fees and our chances is basically the same as in the schools we didn't get a letter from? Because I just got a mail from UC and a couple of other schools. But I don't want to waste money for application fee if my chances are the same with the schools I didn't get a letter from.

I don't think there will be any chance difference for receiving a mail from Charleston.

On a side note, I just turned down an interview invite since I got accepted into a school closer to home so there will be one extra spot open for interview.

good luck everyone! :love:

Any thoughts on your recent interviews?

One of my interviewers was Dr. Kaushal and he phrased the questions in an odd manner. I thought that the interview was too informal. One of the questions was so vague that I couldn't really comprehend what he was asking for. I can't list it here, but I will tell you that it had nothing to do with pharmacy.

Last edited:
Any thoughts on your recent interviews?

One of my interviewers was Dr. Kaushal and he phrased the questions in an odd manner. I thought that the interview was too informal. One of the questions was so vague that I couldn't really comprehend what he was asking for. I can't list it here, but I will tell you that it had nothing to do with pharmacy.

Did you feel like there was no way that you could have prepared for the interview? How is the day set up? Just curious because my interview is Dec. 8th.

For those with interview invites, how long after they received your app did they offer you an interview?

For those with interview invites, how long after they received your app did they offer you an interview?

I submitted my application on the 11/7 and received an email for an interview today.

Members don't see this ad :)
I applied early decision and got my acceptance email about three weeks after my interview.

The interviews are a piece of cake, don't stress too much about them. They are really informal and many of the questions don't have right or wrong answers. Just be yourself, they are trying to get to know you as a person, not as a student.

Accepted!! Got call from Stacie early today.

Class of 2017

SDN Mobile

I got an interview on November 9th, and got the invitation for admissions on November 16th. I do believe this is where I'll be going!

I got accepted as well! Had my interview the 9th and got my acceptance email the 16th!

To those who have already interviewed, how did you guys prepare for your interview? I was looking at the SDN interview feedback, but it wasn't really a big help since most said they can't disclose. I have an interview on Dec 7th but don't really know how to prepare for this interview or what to expect. Any feedback is well appreciated!

To those who have already interviewed, how did you guys prepare for your interview? I was looking at the SDN interview feedback, but it wasn't really a big help since most said they can't disclose. I have an interview on Dec 7th but don't really know how to prepare for this interview or what to expect. Any feedback is well appreciated!

I got accepted but declined my seat. Ok school but don't think it was for me.

They did ask us not to disclose the ethical questions but you should always prepare yourself for questions other basic questions like "why pharmacy, how do u study, how do u handle stress, what do u like to do for fun, why charleston?" All Of those were asked at my interview and more. The ethical questions were basic ethical questions but some of them weren't what I expected. It threw me off guard and I can see why they wanted to ask it. There's no right or wrong answer and there are pros and cons to whichever way you decide to answer your ethical questions. They want to get to know you. I don't see how those questions can really help to get to know u better because I would guess that people would lie to be as ethical as they can be just to get into school but whatever floats their boat. Also, I had a man and a woman. The woman was really nice but I think the man was purposely being rude by yawning, taking deep breaths, fidgeting around, acting like what I said was boring to distract me. He didn't fool me. I kept going on and sold myself to them. So just make eye contact and don't let them intimidate you. At the end he was really nice and we had a few laughs. After the interview I knew forsure that it was just an act to see how I can handle rude people and pressure. Don't let his guy fool u if u happen to get him. Good luck.

Class of 2017

SDN Mobile

I got accepted but declined my seat. Ok school but don't think it was for me.

They did ask us not to disclose the ethical questions but you should always prepare yourself for questions other basic questions like "why pharmacy, how do u study, how do u handle stress, what do u like to do for fun, why charleston?" All Of those were asked at my interview and more. The ethical questions were basic ethical questions but some of them weren't what I expected. It threw me off guard and I can see why they wanted to ask it. There's no right or wrong answer and there are pros and cons to whichever way you decide to answer your ethical questions. They want to get to know you. I don't see how those questions can really help to get to know u better because I would guess that people would lie to be as ethical as they can be just to get into school but whatever floats their boat. Also, I had a man and a woman. The woman was really nice but I think the man was purposely being rude by yawning, taking deep breaths, fidgeting around, acting like what I said was boring to distract me. He didn't fool me. I kept going on and sold myself to them. So just make eye contact and don't let them intimidate you. At the end he was really nice and we had a few laughs. After the interview I knew forsure that it was just an act to see how I can handle rude people and pressure. Don't let his guy fool u if u happen to get him. Good luck.

Class of 2017

SDN Mobile

Wow, that was some great information. Thank you so much!

Hey everyone!
I have an interview in January, which I am very excited for! I am curious where everyone is coming from that is interviewing and/or attending. I will be coming from Utah. :) Good luck to everyone!

Interviewed 12/7.... Accepted Today...

If you don't mind sharing, what didn't you like about the school?
I wouldn't say that I don't like the school. It's just not what I'm looking for or up to my standards regarding some issues. I would also like to add that the reason why I applied to this school was to be near my fiance, but I got accepted elsewhere that I think best fits me more. So I weighed the pros and cons of this school and the other school i got accepted to and this school had very few pros vs. the other school. Some the cons for UC are: relatively new school (other school has been established for over 20 years), location of Charleston isn't what i'm used to, 6-7% fail rate, and I would have to do rotations in WV because they won't let me go back home to do rotations. Which means...they won't let me network so I would have lesser of a chance to find a job back home after graduation. I spoke to one current student and this person advised me to go to a better program if i got accepted elsewhere. Although i don't trust what he/she said, it did get me curious and suspicious. Another thing was that the school advertised themselves as a very technology advanced school because they have those robots but another student told me that they hardly ever use it, because they are still new and not sure how to use it yet. Another thing is that there's a strict dress code. I'm more of a shorts, sweats, tee and sandles type of person (i'm a true californian)..this wasn't a deal breaker though. Most importantly, less than 10% of their students go on to residency. The other school i got accepted to has a higher percentage of students going on to residency. I think residency is important because it's hard for pharmacists to look for a job now days and residency will make u stand out. So every con that i've mentioned for Charleston is the complete opposite for the other school i will be attending. The only pro for this school is that I will be closer to my fiance =*(. Long distance is hard bu it's just a small sacrifice and we will make it work.

I hope this doesn't turn u away. These are just some of my personal reasons. The staff is very friendly.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Interviewed 12/08 and received an email today stating I was accepted :)

Just received my acceptance email this morning. :D

I received my acceptance email on Dec. 14. I really like the school and what the program has to offer however I wasn't too drawn to the city. It may be because it was dark and rainy during my interview, which made the place look so gloomy. For those who have been there, what do you like most about the city?

There wasn't too much about the city that I liked either. I'm very much a city girl and Charleston seemed a little too rural for my taste. I like the program too but I don't if I would actually enjoy living there for 3-4 years and it's very far away from family. After my interview, my flight was canceled twice because of fog and rain. I really would hate to be stuck up there and not be able to go home for the holidays.

I received my acceptance email on Dec. 14. I really like the school and what the program has to offer however I wasn't too drawn to the city. It may be because it was dark and rainy during my interview, which made the place look so gloomy. For those who have been there, what do you like most about the city?

I don't like the city either. Though, the mall is nice and if u drive down further there are lots if shopping places and restaurants. Not nice enough for me to give up Chicago for Charleston though.

So I've been accepted to this school but I'm not 100% sure that I want put down the deposit because it is extremely expensive. I still have interviews for other schools close to home but I won't know if I'll get a spot in the school until late Feb. I'm afraid that if I don't put the deposit down that I may not have anything in the end. Am I the only one having some doubts about the school?

So I've been accepted to this school but I'm not 100% sure that I want put down the deposit because it is extremely expensive. I still have interviews for other schools close to home but I won't know if I'll get a spot in the school until late Feb. I'm afraid that if I don't put the deposit down that I may not have anything in the end. Am I the only one having some doubts about the school?

You can choose to pay 500 first and the other 500 later. That's cheaper than my school which was 1000 up front. A lot of people are going through what you're going through. Including me at one point but better to lose out on some money than to not have a spot at all. The risks are just too high so I say pay the deposit.

Anyone interviewing next week? I'm getting nervous!

I put down my deposit for the school even though I am waiting to hear back from a couple of other schools and have more interviews scheduled. I wanted to make sure that I have a seat somewhere and $500 isn't as bad as other schools that ask for $1000.

To those of you who got accepted and are from the area. Where are some good places to look for housing? Should I go through the University of try and find some on my own?

From what I heard and saw, the surrounding neighborhoods are ghetto and someone told me that it's not that safe either...They recommended me to look for some apartments in Dunbar. Which is a city that is about a 15 minute drive from the school. I heard a few professors and a lot of students live there as well. I would have considered living there if I decided to go to the school..but didn't. GL

Anyone heard anything from interviews held last week? I know they said two weeks, but it looks like others have heard back earlier from previous interview dates. :scared:

From what I heard and saw, the surrounding neighborhoods are ghetto and someone told me that it's not that safe either...They recommended me to look for some apartments in Dunbar. Which is a city that is about a 15 minute drive from the school. I heard a few professors and a lot of students live there as well. I would have considered living there if I decided to go to the school..but didn't. GL

I'm not quite sure who said the surrounding neighborhoods are ghetto and not safe, but they were incredibly misinformed. I've lived in Charleston for 2 years and haven't had a single issue with crime. Anyone coming from a large city to here will laugh at the "ghetto" and "crimes" that people think are serious. I'm sorry but I can't help but laugh, once again, at how incorrect this information is that you're spreading.

People move out to Dunbar because the apartments are cheaper. I was lucky enough to get a 2 bedroom house about 5 miles from the school for under $600 a month. The apartments do have amenities though, like racquetball courts and a pool that interests some people.

I'm not quite sure who said the surrounding neighborhoods are ghetto and not safe, but they were incredibly misinformed. I've lived in Charleston for 2 years and haven't had a single issue with crime. Anyone coming from a large city to here will laugh at the "ghetto" and "crimes" that people think are serious. I'm sorry but I can't help but laugh, once again, at how incorrect this information is that you're spreading.

People move out to Dunbar because the apartments are cheaper. I was lucky enough to get a 2 bedroom house about 5 miles from the school for under $600 a month. The apartments do have amenities though, like racquetball courts and a pool that interests some people.

Sorry if u were offended. But that info was spread to me by the students that currently go to UC SOP when I visited the school during my interview. To each their own opinion. But I personally don't like the area either in comparison to SoCal. Then again it would be a nice place to study because of less distraction.

Hello Everyone!

Is anyone from California that got accepted and planning on going to this school? I'm thinking of going to this school and see if anyone from California is doing the same.

Accepted! Woot woot!

Interviewed 1/11
Accepted 1/21

congrats! i interview on 2/8 how is the campus?

Well for starters, I am from Utah so it is definitely a change for me. I liked how the campus was on the smaller side. I also was a huge fan of their lecture halls, not to mention the university seems very organized, and staff/students are extremely friendly. It seems as though they genuinely care about current and prospective students. I didn't get a chance to explore the city though if you are wondering about that. All I can say about the interview is just be yourself, and you will do just fine. :)

I have an interview on the same day as well. where are you coming from?

Thank you everyone for sharing beneficial information. I have interview on 2/9. I will see you all! I heard good things about the school. I decided to go early and have a look at the city, because that is the only reason i might decline.

Share you thoughts and experiences if you know anythings. Thansk

Wow, you must be flying! Good luck on your interview.

Anyone knows if it is late now to apply?

Thanks

Anyone knows if it is late now to apply?

Thanks

Considering they just extended their deadline to March 1st, it means they're looking for more applicants. Keep in mind that most of the seats are probably filled up, but if you have a good application, it's never too late to apply.