University Of Cincinatti

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
O

OhioMD2B

Hello. I am an Ohio resident who is currently finishing my undergrad at Ohio State, BS in Biology. I am 25 y/o and I was wondering if anyone has had success in gaining admission to Univ. of Cin. What were your stats? Did you get accepted to other Ohio schools? Is it as hard to gain admission as Ohio State?? Any info would be greatly appreciated!! Thanks, Brett...

Members don't see this ad.

Hey, I guess I'm SDN's only UC student, so I'll be happy to field your questions. I put a couple links at the bottom to other discussions we've had about UC, hopefully they'll answer some of your questions.

As to the question of which school is tougher to get into OSU or UC, they're neck-in-neck. I think all of my friends were also accepted to OSU, and I'd say that many in the class picked between the two schools (and made the rights choice, I think
smile.gif
). And I'm sure most OSU students got in here as well. Of course there are exceptions to that at both schools.

The point is, in Ohio you've got Case at the top, but it costs 3 times as much as the others, then UC/OSU, both excellent schools and major research centers with huge hospitals. Then MCO, Wright, and NEOUCOM fall into the third group, I would say due to much less research, clinical faculty, hospitals and so on.

You have to judge for yourself, and try not to get too worried about this stuff.

Later, Mango

http://www.studentdoctor.net/bbs/Forum2/HTML/000232.html

http://www.studentdoctor.org/ubb/Forum1/HTML/001753.html

Thanks a lot Mango!!! Now, if I can just learn to spell Cincinnati, I might have a chance!!lol I should know better!! Anyway, how old are you..are you a non-trad??What were your stats?? By the way, congrats on going to such an excellent school!!!

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey thanks. On the non-trad thing, technically at 24 years old, I am not a non-trad. I decided during my junior year of college, to travel abroad during the spring semester when I should have taken the MCATS. I decided that it was in my best interests to do so. And I was right! It was amazing. So that put me back a year.

Skip ahead to senior year, and having WAY too much fun to worry about some silly test! So that put me back another year. But I really wanted some time off between college and med school. It gave me some experience with "The Real World," and also the chance to gain some needed medical experience. Incidentally, in case anyone is wondering, the real world SUCKS! But being in it was an experience I'm glad that I had (matured me, you know?).

We do have plenty of non-trads in our class, the oldest was 52, but she has deferred a year. We've got several late twenties, 30's and a couple 40's. Hope this helps, and keep the questions coming!

Mango

[This message has been edited by Mango (edited April 23, 2001).]

I forgot to answer your other question on stats. I had a low GPA from a respected private school (3.3), but I balanced it with excellent health care experience (16 months as a full-time nurses aid), as well as three 10's on the MCAT. Having time off from school to study for it really helped. As an Ohio resident, you should shoot for about a 30 MCAT, that's what most people have. But the out-of-staters average around 33+. And the MD/PhD's also. My advice, concentrate on the MCAT, GPA's are not nearly as important, unless they're really low. I'd say 3.3 is about as low as you can go, and still get into a state school. Later, Mango

Mango, when you talked about GPA, are you talking science or overall? (sorry if you wrote this and I zoned out) If I include my master's degree (in athletic training - which I've done for 5 years) sci is about 3.2. Overall is 3.6 ish. MCAT was 11, 12, 13, P. I'm 27 and applying in June. Thanks for your info!!

3.3 was my overall GPA. I don't remember my science GPA, but it was lower than 3.3! I had a LOT of fun in college. But luckily everything worked out in the end.
smile.gif
Incidentally, I think the idea that MCAT's rather than GPA predict med school performance is very true. At least from what I have seen of myself and my classmates. With a 36, you shouldn't worry too much! Good luck, Mango

[This message has been edited by Mango (edited April 25, 2001).]

OhioMD2B,
I visited OSU a few months ago & met with a premed advisor--he didn't seen pro non-traditional students at all. In my case, I already have a BS degree in Business and will be starting from scratch with premed requirements. Can you fill me in on the relative demographics at OSU? During my very brief visit, I didn't meet/come in contact with any older students. I left feeling depressed about my visit, and basically wiped OSU off me list. Can you fill me in? :(

There's really no way to tell how much the waitlist will move. I will tell you that the bulk of the movement is in late May. But there are two people that I know of who were accepted in August! So don't give up hope. And remember what I said about that letter I got in early May!! Good Luck, Mango

I'll be giving up my spot at UC in the next week or so. I'm just waiting to get my financial aid sorted at another school first.

Well, I just got a letter from UC today telling me they want me on their alternate list. I'm excited, because I'm under the impression that most people put on this list are ultimately accepted. Does anyone know if they'll tell me my rank on the list if I call and ask?

Amitha, a coulpe things. First, I don't know what they will tell you if you call and ask but it's worth a try! They do send letters to those that are in the top tier of the list, and THOSE students have an excellent chance of acceptance. The list, however, will always have many more names on it that do not get offered a spot. I'm sorry if I said anything previousley that would have lead you to believe otherwise! Good Luck, and keep us all posted as to what happens. :)

Originally posted by Mango:
•The list, however, will always have many more names on it that do not get offered a spot. I'm sorry if I said anything previousley that would have lead you to believe otherwise! •

Mango, you didn't give me a false sense of hope. According to US News, 70% of the in- state applicants that they interviewed last year were accepted. I'm hoping that trend continues this year. Making it to the alternate list is a step in the right direction. :)

Whew, just wanted to make sure! Hey I spoke to a couple of my friends, and they said that if you call, they will tell you what group on the waitlist you are in. I think they break it into thirds. I have my fingers crossed for you!! :D

Oh, and just out of curiosity, where else have you interviewed/been accepted?

Hey Mango: were you a minority applicant??

Nope, I'm about as white as they come! I'm wondering why you would ask me such a question. Is it because you believe that my numbers were too low to be a qualified WHITE applicant. Do you think the only people who get into medical school with GPA's below 3.5 are URM's? Yikes...

People tend to get WAY too involved with numbers. I think once you've cleared a certain threshold as far as numbers go, it's up to what kind of person you are. THAT'S what gets you accepted to multiple schools. I may not have had the greatest GPA, but I went to a strong school, and I HAD A LIFE! I studied abroad, I worked in health care for 18 months AFTER college, I had real-life experiences. That is why my pathetic GPA, and 30 MCAT got me into several schools, whereas some schmoe with nothing but those exact numbers and a couple hours as a candy-striper gets rejected!

Sorry, that was a bit of a rant, but it bothers me that people take nothing into account but a person's numbers in determining what kind of med student/physician they will turn out to be. That's bunk. Not to blow my own horn (but I'm gonna), but little-old-me, with my piss-poor GPA, and average MCAT, I am getting honors in most of my classes here. What does that tell you about numbers?

Rant Over, back to cerebral vasculature...

Mango, you rock. That rant can't be repeated too often. And nice to see you on the boards again, by the way. :D

Nanon

Thanks Nanon, it's good to see you here as well. How's your year been?

This it to Mango,

I'm currently at the Univ. of Cincinnati as an undergrad and I'd like to attend the medical school. Would you be willing to meet and talk to me?

Monique, I don't mind at all. I'll email you with my phone number, and we can chat sometime. :)