2025-2026 University of Tennessee

Started by wysdoc
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

wysdoc

Plain-spoken Texan
Administrator
Volunteer Staff
Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
2025-2026 University of Tennessee Secondary Essay Prompts: (same as last year but no reapplicant question)

1. List all courses you are taking or planning to take within the current academic year (e.g. Fall 2025 and/or Spring 2026). List course(s), title, and credit hours. (If applicable)

2. (Optional) Any additional information not previously provided in the personal comments of your AMCAS primary application. (500 characters)

3. Imagine you are a medical student in a clinic and encounter a patient whose cultural background and beliefs differ significantly from your own. The patient is hesitant about a treatment plan that is standard practice but conflicts with their personal beliefs. How would you approach this situation to ensure the patient feels heard and respected while also providing the best possible care. (3000 characters)


Good luck to all applying!

Interview Feedback:
 
Last edited:
Has anyone received a UTHSC secondary yet? It looks like they sent them out mid-July last year but not until late August the year before, so I assume it's just a matter of time....
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Has anyone received any communication from UTHSC? Should I have received an email confirming that they've received my application? I have not received anything yet so feeling unsure. As long as my AMCAS says processing complete and UTHSC was on my school list, they should have received my application, right?
 
Has anyone received any communication from UTHSC? Should I have received an email confirming that they've received my application? I have not received anything yet so feeling unsure. As long as my AMCAS says processing complete and UTHSC was on my school list, they should have received my application, right?
OOS but I haven't received anything either, it seems like a lot (if not everyone) haven't received any communication. I wouldn't panic just yet!
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
+1 OOS Secondary Regular MD (strong ties) @wysdoc

Prompts
1. List all courses you are taking or planning to take within the current academic year (e.g. Fall 2025 and/or Spring 2026). List course(s), title, and credit hours. *Optional*

2. Any additional information not previously provided in the personal comments of your AMCAS primary application. (500 characters) *Optional*

3. Imagine you are a medical student in a clinic and encounter a patient whose cultural background and beliefs differ significantly from your own. The patient is hesitant about a treatment plan that is standard practice but conflicts with their personal beliefs. How would you approach this situation to ensure the patient feels heard and respected while also providing the best possible care. (3000 characters)
 
+1 OOS secondary received. I’m curious about the realistic chances of getting an interview as an out-of-state applicant. I do have family ties: my grandparents are UTK alumni, my dad was born and raised in Knoxville, and I still have family in East Tennessee (Townsend and Maryville). I also spent a lot of time there growing up and continue to visit multiple times each year. I’m not sure if that level of connection would be considered significant “ties” to the state, but I thought it was worth noting.
 
+1 OOS secondary received. I’m curious about the realistic chances of getting an interview as an out-of-state applicant. I do have family ties: my grandparents are UTK alumni, my dad was born and raised in Knoxville, and I still have family in East Tennessee (Townsend and Maryville). I also spent a lot of time there growing up and continue to visit multiple times each year. I’m not sure if that level of connection would be considered significant “ties” to the state, but I thought it was worth noting.
Also curious about this. I only left state d/t college scholarship and grad school opportunities, but would happily return and stay in the region post-med school. I think im going to emphasize my connections in second prompt. ETSU didnt even give me the chance before shooting me with the "get lost and never apply again"
 
Also curious about this. I only left state d/t college scholarship and grad school opportunities, but would happily return and stay in the region post-med school. I think im going to emphasize my connections in second prompt. ETSU didnt even give me the chance before shooting me with the "get lost and never apply again"
Same and same. I'd love to stay and practice in the area. ETSU also told me to kick rocks.
 
Were we supposed to upload a headshot? I didn’t see a spot for it on the secondary. I got an email confirming receipt of my secondary application and a picture.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
primary submitted 6/23
verified 8/5
received "application recieved" from UTHSC 8/8
haha its making me worried possibly going into september without one
From their website:

In addition to the AMCAS application, the process includes a secondary application specific to the UTHSC College of Medicine. Once we have received a verified application from AMCAS, a select group of applicants will be sent a link to complete the secondary application.

It could be that they send it in batches... though I'm not sure. Perhaps someone more knowledgeable than I can chime in.
 
Also curious about this. I only left state d/t college scholarship and grad school opportunities, but would happily return and stay in the region post-med school. I think im going to emphasize my connections in second prompt. ETSU didnt even give me the chance before shooting me with the "get lost and never apply again"
same 😭
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
IS, good gpa and mcat, received "application received" email on 8/8

Anyone received secondaries recently? Besides those that got it on 8/19, I don't see a lot of folks that have received them.