University of Cincinnati Acceptees?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

irishnickname

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
There seems to be a complete lack of threads dedicated to Cincinnati COM and those like me who are going to make up the class of 2010!!! So I have decided to be a pioneer and hopefully get some respones from future classmates.

I am just finishing up my next to last semester at Notre Dame and am really looking forward to coming back to my home town for med school. Recieved my acceptance on 10/20 after an interview on 10/3 and have really been suffering from senioritis since then. If you have any questions about the city or in general, I would be more than happy to answer them!

Good luck to everyone still waiting to hear back!

Members don't see this ad.

Hey man! Have I got a crazy story for you! I interviewed 2/01 for UCinn last cycle, and was put on the "top" of the alternate list rated for "immediate acceptance" as soon as spaces opened up. The letter made it sound like I all but got in. Then August rolled around with no spaces opened up.

However, I reapplied immediately, UCinn decided they wanted to talk to me yet again, and thus I had my interview 11/21. This time they couldn't wait to accept me; I was accepted via status page on 11/30 (barely a week after my interview!), received the official letter via snail mail on 12/10. I'm very happy I finally got in, but geez I spent $3,000 reapplying when I theoretically could have started school there this year! And plus, took me two interviews to get in. Oh well, class of 2010 it is.

At this point I am 80% certain I shall be joining you in Cincinnati come August. To be honest, I would probably go to OSU, Case, or UCSD instead if I got into any of those, but I am currently deferred, post-interview for all three so I am not holding my breath. Nevertheless, still very happy to attend UCinn (yay public tuition after first year!), and even happier that I will get to be a doctor!

Btw, anyone known why it is so INSANELY expensive to fly into the CVG airport?

Members don't see this ad :)
BrettBatchelor said:
Congrats on the acceptances.

You will have the privilege to indulge in SKYLINE CHILI.

Is that something Cincinnati's famous for? I have no idea, I've lived in Californian my entire life. :p

Its a sweeter chili. Its cincy style.
p_cheese_coney.jpg

p_3way.jpg

SOOOOO good.

Obviously they didn't invite the Mexicans to the Chili Cookoff....because the Mexican would have rode a goat up there carrying an onion and showed them Cincy boys how it was done. Of course he would need a ride home..... :smuggrin: (Sorry one of my friends was watching Ron White earlier today....)

Cincinnati was my first acceptance. And so far my only acceptance. So there's a chance I may be there as well. That place should be sweet by the 2nd year when all the construction gets done.

I've been accepted at UC too, but I may go to OSU since I did my undergrad here. I've lived here all my life and love it, but it may be fun to get away for a few years. I sure will miss skyline though....

I'll most likely be at Cinci next year.

Messerschmitts said:
(yay public tuition after first year!), and even happier that I will get to be a doctor!

In-state tuition after first year..is that the norm at U of Cinn? Are there other schools like that?

On my interview date, I asked U of Vermont officials if I would be able to get in-state tuition after my wife works full-time for one year. The answer was "NO". No matter what, once you are classified as out-of-state..you are out of state no matter how much tax you pay to the state.

I would love to find about more schools that would consider me in-state after first year, especially if my wife works full-time.

I applied to UCinn many moons ago. I still haven't heard anything. I think at this point I am pretty much ready to get a rejection from them. I don't think I will get an interview.

shahab said:
In-state tuition after first year..is that the norm at U of Cinn? Are there other schools like that?

On my interview date, I asked U of Vermont officials if I would be able to get in-state tuition after my wife works full-time for one year. The answer was "NO". No matter what, once you are classified as out-of-state..you are out of state no matter how much tax you pay to the state.

I would love to find about more schools that would consider me in-state after first year, especially if my wife works full-time.

I applied to UCinn many moons ago. I still haven't heard anything. I think at this point I am pretty much ready to get a rejection from them. I don't think I will get an interview.

It's not a UCinn thing, it's an Ohio thing. Most states will not reclassify you as an in-state student unless you work full-time for a year (not really possible as a med student). However, for some reason Ohio will. Thus if you attend OSU you'll get the same deal.

Btw, in the unlikely event I get into OSU, anyone want to convince me why I'd want to attend UCinn instead? I know why I want to go to OSU, but UCinn was under heavy construction last year, it was under heavier construction this year, and will still be under contruction for our first year! Thus I don't think I got a good feel for what the school is really like.

irishnickname said:
I am just finishing up my next to last semester at Notre Dame and am really looking forward to coming back to my home town for med school.

You're lucky that attending UCinn will be a homecoming! For me it will be a 3,000 mile trek across the country, further from home than I've ever been. :( I'm very excited about starting med school, but seriously I'm going to be so homesick, possibly culture/weather-shock too from the Midwest experience. (It's a beautiful 70 degrees today in sunny southern California!) It was so cold, gloomy, and cloudy when I interviewed in Cincinnati that day. Someone please say some stuff about why UCinn/Cincinnati (city) rocks to lift my spirits and get me excited about going there. :p

If you arent from the city of Cincinnati it is hard to see what is so special about the place. Having lived there, gone away for college, and now going back, I have a real appreciation for what I was missing these past four years.

For one thing there is Skyline Chili that has already been mentioned and needs no further explaination (you must try it to understand). There is one not too far from the med school to boot!

There is also the fact that Cincinnati is a fairly good sized city, with a large downtown area, but no one acts like it is a big city. People are friendly, there are things to do all the time (although that won't really matter as we will be up to our ears in work!), and there is something for everyone.

Cincinnati also happens to be home of the greatest ice cream on earth, period. You will quicky discover and learn to love Greaters ice cream and other goodies.

There is also an amazing fireworks display on the river for Labor Day. Some of the most famous firework technicians in the counrty, the Rozzi family, live in the area and continue to go bigger, louder, and longer with each year.

There is tons of good music, plays, bars, museums, an aquarium, baseball (GO REDS!), football (WHO DEY!!!), and so many great parks. Newport on the Levee is a great new area right across the river on the Kentucky side. There is a big movie theater and a bunch of bars and other nightlife.

The one thing I missed the most, and you may laugh at this, is the hills. They are everywhere. South Bend, and Indiana in general, is the flatest, dullest are I have ever been too. I always get excited when I start hitting hills on my ride back from school because I know I am almost home.

That is just a start. If you have more specific questions you want answered you can pm me!

Hey everyone!
I graduated from Notre Dame last year and am a first year at UC now. I love it here... and everything that's been said about Graeters and Skyline is true. :) PM me regarding OSU vs. UC (that was my final decision) or with any other questions.