University of Cincinnati, Class of 2013

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Pedsbro - Good deal! I'm from nor-cal, but I did my undergraduate degree in SB. Hopefully the change in scenery will keep me inside and studying rather than outside and distracted. Actually, I had a question about the SMP... do you move into the med school as a second year or a first year?

Ashley85 - Never been to NC, but I heard good things. How does cincy compare?

Looking forward to meeting you guys!

Members don't see this ad.

Got an email yesterday telling me to check my status page. Could not find anything new there. Anyone know what it's all about?

I got it too. For me, it was the completion of my financial aid (at least I think) Try checking the financial aid tab in the medstop page.

Pedsbro - Good deal! I'm from nor-cal, but I did my undergraduate degree in SB. Hopefully the change in scenery will keep me inside and studying rather than outside and distracted. Actually, I had a question about the SMP... do you move into the med school as a second year or a first year?

Oh...NorCal....I see... :cool:

The change in scenery will definitely help keep you inside studying haha (although being from NorCal, gloomy-looking days like today will be right at home for you:D). As for the SMP, no, we all have to take the same classes again and will be first year students...which I'm very much OK with actually. There was some room for improvement and it'll be nice to see that stuff again for Step 1.

Members don't see this ad :)

Cincy has been very different than NC especially when it comes to the weather. But I definitely have nothing to say but good things about the med school and the SMP program. I'll still be a first year next year...in the SMP I took the majority of the med school classes, but I didn't take gross anatomy or have the clinical/doctoring course.

I'm looking forward to next year and meeting you all!

so how nicely do we need to dress for second look?

Got an email yesterday telling me to check my status page. Could not find anything new there. Anyone know what it's all about?

For people who were accepted a few months ago, rather than recently, this status update was for them, to inform them new links are now available on MedOneStop.

Hey, question for everyone, esp if any current UC med students are reading:

*How did you conduct a roommate search
*How did you choose your fin aid lender from the ones suggested by UC Fin Aid

hey everyone..
so i'm posting this cause we need 2 more roommates. here's the situation:
big house about 2.5 miles from campus right off the bus stop. 5 bedrooms, 3 floors, 2 kitchens, we have the place mostly furnished (living room stuff) but you need to furnish your own bedroom.
Roommates so far for next year:
me (will be 1st year, and i'm a guy)
2nd year also guy
3rd year girl
the total rent + bills on average for the year is around $500/mo (includes electric/gas/cable)
if you are interested email me at [email protected] and i can send you pics or whatever if you want. I will be attending the 2nd look thing on may 1st so if any of you are going to that and want to see the house you can come check it out that weekend! see you all soon!
brian

I'm going to Cincinnati next year too. I am very excited and I'll be attending the second look visitation tomorrow.

Do any of you know if a lot of people ride bikes to the medical school? I am very interested in living in the Gaslight district and it is approximately a 1-1.5 miles from the medical school, which is theoretically walkable, but it is a long walk in the cold. I think a bike might be more practical, but I don't know how feasible this would actually be.

I looked at the area right next to the medical school, but other than Stetson (which was just overpriced) and possibly Bellevue Gardens and Piedmont Mews (which I tour tomorrow), all of the places in Correyville seemed really really sketchy and way overpriced (for the awful unsafe places that they appeared to be).

It seems, however, that most places don't know what is available for July and August until June at the earliest. Where are all of you planning on living or when are you going to start looking?

See some of you tomorrow! :soexcited:

I'm going to Cincinnati next year too. I am very excited and I'll be attending the second look visitation tomorrow.

Do any of you know if a lot of people ride bikes to the medical school? I am very interested in living in the Gaslight district and it is approximately a 1-1.5 miles from the medical school, which is theoretically walkable, but it is a long walk in the cold. I think a bike might be more practical, but I don't know how feasible this would actually be.

I looked at the area right next to the medical school, but other than Stetson (which was just overpriced) and possibly Bellevue Gardens and Piedmont Mews (which I tour tomorrow), all of the places in Correyville seemed really really sketchy and way overpriced (for the awful unsafe places that they appeared to be).

It seems, however, that most places don't know what is available for July and August until June at the earliest. Where are all of you planning on living or when are you going to start looking?

See some of you tomorrow! :soexcited:

Biking from Gaslight is definitely doable...just watch for crazy Cincy drivers. I would highly recommend you avoid Corryville and Over the Rhine...don't even bother looking at places there! Most places really dont' know what their vacancies will be until June because that's when classes end and therefore when a lot of peoples' leases end. Downtown and Mt. Adams are nice areas to live in for the most part, but pricey as well. Hyde Park/Oakley/Mt. Lookout are all right by each other and usually affordable and popular for students, but a bit farther from school.

Hey, All,

I've put in my deposit for a place at Stetson (2br, 2ba, Taft, 1st floor, with patio), and I've got a potential roommate in mind (friend on W/L), but for some peace of mind, I'm also planning my back-up roommate search.

Any suggestions/takers? (PM me)

Members don't see this ad :)
On the second look pdf on medonestop, there is a mention of "Med House", but I can't seem to find mention of it anywhere else. Does anyone have any information about it?

On the second look pdf on medonestop, there is a mention of "Med House", but I can't seem to find mention of it anywhere else. Does anyone have any information about it?

They told us about it at the second look. Basically, the admissions people claim that many medical students have a lot of trouble finding good housing with good landlords, especially the first year. So, they have decided to offer a housing option for medical students.

They have potentially reserved a Stradford Heights house for medical students next year. Google "Stratford Heights Cincinnati" and learn more about this housing option. Basically 26 people would live in this house in single and double rooms. Rooms include bed, desk and dresser (or two if they are doubles). Four people would share each full bathroom (with 2 sinks) and there is a kitchenette on every floor with a nice, big kitchen for all to share. There will be a study room/floor and a rec room with a TV. Rent would be less than $700/month including ALL utilities (cable, internet, electricity, heat, etc). Parking would be in a garage next door and is extra.

They will only make this an option if 26 or so people contact Jennifer Rosichan saying that they definitely want to live in this space by June 1 because they have to make sure that it is worth it for housing.

I personally don't see myself doing this. It is too much like a dorm to me and I don't really want to live around that many people that I'll see all day anyway. But, it would be an easy solution if you are struggling to figure out where to live and it is reasonably priced.

I hope you all had a good time at 2nd look. That was a super dense lecture that you heard from Dr. Giffin.

As far as housing goes, Stetson is very nice and the location is awesome. Most people I know either live in Hyde Park (10-15 min drive in the morning) or Clifton/Gas Lights (medium walk, super short drive).

I currently live in Hyde Park and it is super convenient for groceries and shopping. Both Rookwood and Kroger are very close. For those who haven't looked around yet, Hyde Park is kind of suburbia. Clifton has a more historical feel to it and is very close to some amazing Indian restaurants :)love: Ambar).

Another option is to actually buy a condo or house. A decent number of my friends are doing it, including myself. Considering the market you actually end up saving a decent amount of money doing this.

If you guys have any questions about first year I would be happy to answer them. Only 1 more month, and 9 tests to go!

Details:
1BR 1BA in a 2BR 2BA Taft floor plan w/ patio, 1st floor, Stetson Square Apartments/Luxury Condos
(301 Eden Ave, across the street from the hospital; stetsonsquare.com for facilities/amenities, floor plans, etc.)

Costs: $644.50/month rent; $75 one-time admin fee, $125 deposit.

About me: I love yoga, music, museums, film, cooking, NPR, and farmer's markets.

Looking for: A no-drama, responsible, mature roommate with a good sense of humor. I'm not a neat freak, but I definitely don't want my home to look like a frat house. Male, female, pets, etc. I'm open to everything--since I can get along with most anyone, what's important to me is finding someone who knows how to be a respectful and friendly roommate.

The apartment: In-unit washer, dryer; off-street parking; amazing amenities (see website), proximity to both campuses, good security.

Cheers!

I was just curious, does Cincy record their lectures or have a note-taking service?

They record all of their lectures, which can be accessed online and podcast. Also, the Powerpoints are put up online as well. There is not a note-taking service.

Where any of you placed on the alternate list at one point and are have now been offered acceptances?

I was just curious if anyone knew when student loan checks get disbursed. Trying to map out how much money I'll need to pull over from my long-term savings account to last us from August 1st until we get our checks.

I was just curious if anyone knew when student loan checks get disbursed. Trying to map out how much money I'll need to pull over from my long-term savings account to last us from August 1st until we get our checks.

I think in the finaid packet we got, it said we get the checks during orientation week after going through the finaid entrance interview...which is on Tuesday of that week (the 11th) I believe.

I know six is a lot, but if anyone needs any extra tickets to the white coat ceremony, I'm not going to be using all of mine and would be happy to donate my extra to you.

Does anyone know if we've received our Student id number ("M" number) yet? Also have we gotten instructions on how to set up our UC email address? And another thing...I'm trying to set up direct deposit for our refund checks but its not allowing me to log on with my username and password that I use for medonestop is there another one I should be using? Thanks in advance! :oops:

Does anyone know if we've received our Student id number ("M" number) yet? Also have we gotten instructions on how to set up our UC email address? And another thing...I'm trying to set up direct deposit for our refund checks but its not allowing me to log on with my username and password that I use for medonestop is there another one I should be using? Thanks in advance! :oops:

If you go under the "my information" tab, it should list your M#.

Check here for email info.
http://libraries.uc.edu/hsl/it/email.cfm

I'm not sure about direct deposit. It looked like they wanted us to use 5th 3rd, and I hate that bank, so I didn't sign up.

i set up direct deposit no problem and i do not use 5th third...the log in is the same as your email account. mine was the first 6 letters of my last name then first initial middle initial for the login. when you do your email, you set up a new password.

i set up direct deposit no problem and i do not use 5th third...the log in is the same as your email account. mine was the first 6 letters of my last name then first initial middle initial for the login. when you do your email, you set up a new password.

Yeah, this is pretty much it. You use the login for Onestop to setup direct deposit. You can use any bank. I use the CINCO credit union, which UC contracts with. There's a bank branch in Clifton, and even one right on the main campus. There's also a CINCO ATM in University Hospital. I've had no complaints...been with them since I was a graduate student here at UC. Very convenient for them to be on campus too.

Yeah, this is pretty much it. You use the login for Onestop to setup direct deposit. You can use any bank. I use the CINCO credit union, which UC contracts with. There's a bank branch in Clifton, and even one right on the main campus. There's also a CINCO ATM in University Hospital. I've had no complaints...been with them since I was a graduate student here at UC. Very convenient for them to be on campus too.

Hmmmm. The only link for direct deposit I saw was on the Fin Aid webpage and it always took me to some 5th 3rd site (and now it doesn't even work). Is there a link to sign up somewhere else on MyServices?

I just joined your ranks and i will see all of you on monday. Alright UC!!!!

Anyone know of some place to live or at least sleep until I can get a room somewhere