University of Cincinnati vs Stonybrook/Renaissance School of Medicine (Please read the 2nd paragraph)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

eggsntoast

f262j34a01g
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi friends! I have been blessed this cycle to be accepted to 2 amazing medical schools: UCCOM and Stonybrook/Renaissance School of Medicine. My state of residence is NY, however, I spent the last year living in Cincinnati.

My situation is a little strange as I completed Special Master Program (SMP) at the UCCOM. During the program, I took 3 M1 classes and received B, B+, and B. Since UCCOM does internal ranking between their students, if i was to choose UCCOM and retake these M1 classes, my SMP grades would be averaged with my new grades for these classes. I'm a little concerned about this because while I am not gunning for a competitive specialty, I don't necessarily want my SMP grades holding me back in any way and effecting how I am ranked. On the other hand, because I took these classes, if I was to choose UCCOM, i would already be familiar with these classes, so it would definitely make it easier to do well in the first 3 M1 classes.

If I was to choose Stony, I would not have any grades holding me back in any way, but I also would not have the luxury of being familiar with half of the M1 curriculum.

Here is my Pros and Cons List:
Cincinnati College of Medicine
Pros

• cheap cost of living
  • I know the curriculum for the first 3 M1 classes
  • I have the anki flash cards so will save time during M1 year
  • I already have friends/connections there
  • ranked higher
  • might be better to match midwest
Cons
  • I will have to go up against my SMP grades--even if I get A's I probably will not be able to get higher than B+ or A- when my new grades are averaged with my old grades
  • no family nearby
  • OOS tuition for the 1st year
Stonybrook
Pros
  • will be starting fresh//won't have to go against my old grades
  • I am interested research track, however you need to apply to this track, and there is no guarantee I would be accepted
  • in state tuition for all 4 year
  • closer to family and friends--> could probably come home on weekends/holidays
  • might be able to match in NYS
  • True Pass/Fail for pre-clinical classes (only ranked 3rd year for clinicals in quartiles)
Cons
  • higher cost of living--> unlikely i will be able to afford my own place
  • not familiar with the curriculum
  • ranked lower
To be honest, the cost between the 2 schools works out about the same for me, so money is not really a deciding factor.

I would appreciate any insight/advice as to what to do!!

Thank you!!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
How did you like your year at Cincy ? That's a great opportunity to be able to spend so much time at a school and then have the opportunity to choose it for medical school. Especially this year when most of us can't even visit the schools we are considering. Can you see yourself happy at Cincy for four more years ?

I'm assuming the Cinci program averages your grades to prevent SMP students having a distinct advantage over everyone else, but it still seems like you'd be at an advantage. What I mean is I'd still consider it a plus and not a minus. I say that because basically the grades you already have for those classes are what you were capable of getting, and now you'll get to retake the same classes, almost assuredly will do better since it's round 2, and so now your actual performance (original grades) will be bolstered by your round 2 performance, even if just slightly since it's averaged. So whereas your original self would have entered med school and got B, B+, B, you're in a position where you will probably be at B+, A-, B+ or something after averaging with A's.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Considering cost and ranking is about the same, go where you'll be happiest! Just FYI though, Stony Brook has switched to P/F for all the preclinicals :)

Reactions: 1 users
Thank you for your feedback everyone. After learning that stonybrook has switched to true pass/fail for preclinicals, I am strongly leaning towards stony. If anyone else would like to contribute/offer more advice/disagree, I would truly appreciate it.

Thank you for your feedback everyone. After learning that stonybrook has switched to true pass/fail for preclinicals, I am strongly leaning towards stony. If anyone else would like to contribute/offer more advice/disagree, I would truly appreciate it.

Were you able to confirm that change with the school ?

Cincy is a somewhat more prestigious program but you have a lot of pluses for Stony Brook that make sense. Cost of housing on LI is probably the biggest con. You'll have to decide how much weight you put on Stony Brook's "proximity to family" and whether you'd rather live on LI or in the city of Cincinnati.

No one cares about pre-clinical grades come residency time - I wouldn't let your SMP situation be a consideration when picking schools. Both are very good schools - go where you feel you will be happiest.

Reactions: 1 user
The SMP situation is an interesting one, but it will likely not affect anything for you in the long run.

Both are great programs. If you were interested in pursuing pediatrics, it would be an easier decision, but these goals can change anyways. If having family close by is important (and the more relaxed environment of P/F), I would vote for stony brook.

Are financials a factor here? I know you will be able to obtain IS tuition at Cincy after 1 year. How does COA compare for both schools? If they're roughly similar in price, you seem to like Cincy better based on your pros and cons list

Are financials a factor here? I know you will be able to obtain IS tuition at Cincy after 1 year. How does COA compare for both schools? If they're roughly similar in price, you seem to like Cincy better based on your pros and cons list
No one cares about pre-clinical grades come residency time - I wouldn't let your SMP situation be a consideration when picking schools. Both are very good schools - go where you feel you will be happiest.

Thanks for all the advice/input everyone!!

Both schools are amazing, but I ended up choosing to Stony. While I do love Cincy, Stonybrook being unranked P/F for pre-clinicals is a big deal for me. It sucks because Cincy right now is true unranked pass/fail for pre-clinicals because of COVID, but it seems as though they will resume ranking pre-clinical grades with the incoming class. I know some people were saying that no one cares about preclinical grades come residency time, however, I think programs do care about rank. Regarding cost, both schools financially work out to about the same. Both schools have relatively strong match lists. So [**fingers crossed**] hopefully I made the right decision.

Once again, thank you all for your advice. I really appreciated all the comments!