University of Colorado, Colorado Springs Clinical Ph.D. program

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DTIMRI

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I am interested in the relatively new clinical PhD program at UCCS with a geropsychology emphasis and was wondering if any of you could share some information or feelings about the program. Also, I noticed they are listed on the APA Div. 40 site as a neuropsych training program does anyone know how extensive the neuropsych training really is in an already track specific (geropsych) program. Finally, how is the funding situation?

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

It's a good program, but very much in the gero niche (I thought that was cool, though). There is one NP on the core faculty (Yochim), and he's active in forensic evals (board-certified) and also the national orgs. There is also a person who identifies as an experimental neuropsychologist on the non-clinical side. I think they are looking to hire at least one more clinical NPist.

As far as clinical training, you do a lot of therapy but there is also a year-long neuropsych rotation that you can do (beyond the introductory semester rotation, I believe) at a local clinic. It is supervised by Dr. Yochim and another supervisor. You'll get neuropsych training, but there are a couple things to keep in mind. Within the geropsych specialty, it is a generalist program (so no straight-up neuro track here, which is a plus for some and a negative for others). Also, judging from your ID, if imaging is what you want, there currently aren't any resources for that kind of work here.

Thank you for your insight VeggieDelight, I too think the geropsych emphasis is pretty cool.