university of colorado

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by lola, Aug 7, 2002.

1. lola

lola Bovine Member

anyone know anything about this medical school? i was thinking of adding it to my list. even though it's really expensive for out of state i heard you can get in-state tuition the last three years. is this true? also, is it nearly impossible to get in if you're out of state and not in one of the wiche states (or whatever they call them)? thanks!

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Angeliqua

Angeliqua Senior Member

Medical Student
    Hi Lola,
    CU's medical school is very good, they consistently rank high in research and primary care. Not to mention you can't beat the skiing...little plug for my home-state:). I have known a few out-of-staters that were succesful in applying there, however, they all attended CU as undergrads. I am definitely not saying they are the ONLY out of state students who get in, they are just the ones I know. Unless your #s are well above their averages I would not apply. I don't know the exact percentages, but they interview very few out-of -state applicants; super stellar stats may help you get an interview at least. However, one year at nearly 60k is steep, that is assuming you get in-state tuition the following 3 years! In addition, the cost of living in Denver and the surrounding communities is not cheap. Not as bad as San Francisco, but not as good as most state schools in the mid-west, for example. If you are really interested in attending the school, I say you should apply. However, if you just want to add it for the heck of it I wouldn't waste your money!

Good Luck!
    A

4. TroutBum

TroutBum Senior Member

Hey Lola, CU has a great medical school. I would go ahead and apply if you are willing to part with the cash and have a definite interest in Denver. I've known several out-of-staters who are there right now, but it IS pretty tough for out-of-staters, just like at most other state schools. So, if you think you might really enjoy Denver and can make a case for wanting to go there, then give it a shot, but as the previous poster said it probably would be a waste just to add it on just for the heck of it. And if you want my opinion, Denver is one of the best places in the country to live, by far. Another plug from a native Coloradan. BTW, I love your avatar.

5. lola

lola Bovine Member

Thanks for your input! I would love to stay in the West, and have heard Denver is a great place to live. I'm not really more interested in the particular school than in any other school, but I've spend a lot of time on the east coast and know that I would probably enjoy Colorado more. I'm an August MCATer, so it's hard to know how competitive I really am. Everything else looks good, though. Without MCAT scores it's really difficult to know what schools I'm competitive at! Anyway, I may add it to my list if I'm feeling like dishing out the extra money!