University of Florida C/O 2020

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
So after emailing Mary Beth about biochemistry requirement without any responds, I checked UF website and found this
Any BCH 3000 or 4000 level biochemistry course for 3 or 4 credits is acceptable. Unless the BCH course is one semester of a two semester sequence for biochemistry. In that situation we require the two courses for the 6 semester credits (if you are unsure that the courses your institution offers is acceptable, please email Deborah Robinson at [email protected] for assistance)
Just thought I would share.

I'd also like to add that I have taken biochem and molec cell bio from UCF and emailed Mary Beth and she informed me that both would suffice for the requirement.

Members don't see this ad.

I was just accepted into the Orlando campus! Any current Orlando campus students on here that can tell me what the experience there is like? Pros/cons? If not can someone lead me to a forum where I'd find that? Or does anyone know any current students that can give me more information?
Overall I have enjoyed my time in Orlando. I am a local so staying in town was always my goal. Its a beautiful school with ample opportunities for involvement. It's in Medical City so you have hospitals, Va, research centers and more coming on the way. Will be a great place for future employment and possibilities.
Curriculum is very challenging and time demanding but the one thing you can count on is, you will be well prepared for clinical rotations. You will be on the new curriculum which is broken down into blocks. I've heard it is less stressful then the older curriculum where you are just taking 5-6 classes all semester long. Most students seem satisfied with the changes. Lastly, the College was just ranked one of the top 10 COPs in the nation so you know the quality of education and the professors is top notch.

Only complain is that we don't have a study room. There used to be one dedicated for the students but the MTM staff took it over and don't seem to be going anywhere anytime soon. You can go in any open room in the campus and study, but there is no designated quiet room.

Any further questions, feel free to pm me.

I was just accepted into the Orlando campus! Any current Orlando campus students on here that can tell me what the experience there is like? Pros/cons? If not can someone lead me to a forum where I'd find that? Or does anyone know any current students that can give me more information?
Yea, orlando is a terrible campus. It's over run by the MTM center. They say you can study whenever ever you want.....but there are never any rooms avaiable for study since either MTM, or PhD students are havin meetings or conferences. They took over our testing room this past year so we lost that too.

If I were to do it again I wouldn't go to pharmacy school. But if for some reason I did gainseville would be my only option.

Cheers.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yea, orlando is a terrible campus. It's over run by the MTM center. They say you can study whenever ever you want.....but there are never any rooms avaiable for study since either MTM, or PhD students are havin meetings or conferences. They took over our testing room this past year so we lost that too.

If I were to do it again I wouldn't go to pharmacy school
. But if for some reason I did gainseville would be my only option.

Cheers.

Why? And when did you realize it?

I'm so nervous!!! waiting for acceptance.

Last edited:
I'm so nervous!!! waiting for acceptance.
Don't be. Everyone gets accepted. They are desperate for students. Application submissions have been dropping and they haven't been able to fill their seats like that have in the previous years.

Reactions: 2 users
Don't be. Everyone gets accepted. They are desperate for students. Application submissions have been dropping and they haven't been able to fill their seats like that have in the previous years.

If you were to do it again, what would you do instead of pharmacy? I'm talking about right before you start pharmacy school not right out of high school lol

If you were to do it again, what would you do instead of pharmacy? I'm talking about right before you start pharmacy school not right out of high school lol
Honestly, I have no effing idea lmao.

It's an evolving process. These days I do most of my studying at home, for the reasons you outlined. I think in a year or two they'll have it sorted out somehow. Possibly they can move MTM to the building that's opening across the street? Something's gonna have to give, because the new curriculum is gonna have more students on campus at more times every year.

It was a lot worse when they were in Apopka from what I hear. It's an evolving process. The campus is just a couple of years old. Even still, I think the city of Orlando is the best place to be if you're doing pharmacy in Florida.

It's an evolving process. These days I do most of my studying at home, for the reasons you outlined. I think in a year or two they'll have it sorted out somehow. Possibly they can move MTM to the building that's opening across the street? Something's gonna have to give, because the new curriculum is gonna have more students on campus at more times every year.

It was a lot worse when they were in Apopka from what I hear. It's an evolving process. The campus is just a couple of years old. Even still, I think the city of Orlando is the best place to be if you're doing pharmacy in Florida.
I hear rumors that they are trying to move the MTM center out of that building because it has grown so much.

But yea the new curiculum has students on campus every single day when everyone is converted there is no way that camous has enough space/ parking the way it is now.

UF please hurry up :) I keep checking my email box every 5 mins like a girl. haha

Members don't see this ad :)

I was told that the MTM has to be out of the silent study room by the time classes start again in the fall. Then again, I heard similar stories about them having to be out before this semester and we all know how that went. I honestly stopped caring a while back. They lost my trust a long time ago.

Orlando is a great city for many things. All the opportunities, however, make it one of the most saturated cities for pharmacist in Florida. I personally like the Lake Nona area. Its quiet, calm and slowly turning into a beautiful city but it will also be of the most competitive areas to find a job. Get your PharmD here and look go somewhere else after you graduate. If you would like to stay in the city, then looking for some internships or holding a job throughout the school is smart. Guarantees you a good chance of having a full-time employment upon graduation. All imo of course.

Academia is just so out of touch with reality. Realized in after 1st year probably.
Bingo!

Reactions: 1 user
I hear rumors that they are trying to move the MTM center out of that building because it has grown so much.

But yea the new curiculum has students on campus every single day when everyone is converted there is no way that camous has enough space/ parking the way it is now.

So glad I'm less than a year away from being done with this school.

Reactions: 1 users
What kind of jobs are u guys get future after graduating. I don't want work in a pharmacy on the computer all day. So is clinical the way to go? I heard clinical pharmacy is fake doctor

I was told that the MTM has to be out of the silent study room by the time classes start again in the fall. Then again, I heard similar stories about them having to be out before this semester and we all know how that went. I honestly stopped caring a while back. They lost my trust a long time ago.

Orlando is a great city for many things. All the opportunities, however, make it one of the most saturated cities for pharmacist in Florida. I personally like the Lake Nona area. Its quiet, calm and slowly turning into a beautiful city but it will also be of the most competitive areas to find a job. Get your PharmD here and look go somewhere else after you graduate. If you would like to stay in the city, then looking for some internships or holding a job throughout the school is smart. Guarantees you a good chance of having a full-time employment upon graduation. All imo of course.

This. This is why there needs to be an inherent mechanism in place to stop schools like Larkin from cropping up. Or at least make the NAPLEX/MJPE appreciably harder.

Larkin sucks. Dean got offended when I asked him what his program's weaknesses are, what would happen in event if they dont get precandidate status, he was on the subj accrediation! why his curriculum was so medical school base. His school is in the middle of a neighborhood with an old warehouse painted yellow. The school's banner was a plastic that said Health Institute, yeah right. We even missed it a few times. They cancelled a person like me. High grades, yeah i can tell u cant handle me larkin. yr afraid of leaders or guts. I felt so downgraded after I went here interview as soon as i walked in the classrooms with full of minorities. the applicants hardly did well on the team based exercise. Applicants go with yr gut instinct. if u feel a program not for u dont choose it. youll be like aw man.

What kind of jobs are u guys get future after graduating. I don't want work in a pharmacy on the computer all day. So is clinical the way to go? I heard clinical pharmacy is fake doctor
Chances are you'll work in retail. Even if you do a residency you'll just end up staffing in the hospital which will be you workin behind a computer doing order entry or visual verification.

Just got accepted to the Orlando campus! I'm a firm believer in the future of pharmacy and in my ability to sell myself and network . I think if you have the right mindset and you set yourself up for success the rest will follow. Pharmacy can be a fulfilling occupation if you do the necessary work to succeed and being in a top 10 program like UF I think helps alot.

I just got accepted to Jacksonville but my first choice was Gainesville. Has anyone ever petitioned?

Just got accepted to the Orlando campus! I'm a firm believer in the future of pharmacy and in my ability to sell myself and network . I think if you have the right mindset and you set yourself up for success the rest will follow. Pharmacy can be a fulfilling occupation if you do the necessary work to succeed and being in a top 10 program like UF I think helps alot.

Hey, may I ask, when was your interview? I'm trying to gauge how long it will take to hear back?

In the end, everyone that goes through this program will have sold themselves out 10x over before it's all said and done.

I'm in! See you all in August! #GatorNation

Reactions: 1 user
Hi friends, out of state applicant that just got accepted here.
Was wondering if anyone had information regarding residency requirements for Florida. I know some schools allow you to convert to state residency so that you are charged in state tuition instead.

Hi friends, out of state applicant that just got accepted here.
Was wondering if anyone had information regarding residency requirements for Florida. I know some schools allow you to convert to state residency so that you are charged in state tuition instead.

I'm pretty sure I remember them telling us that they will not recognize out of state students as in state at any point during the 4 years of schooling. Just contact them about it.

For those accepted and attending this fall, we don't have to submit a form saying we've completed the HIPPA requirements yet, right?

For those accepted and attending this fall, we don't have to submit a form saying we've completed the HIPPA requirements yet, right?
I was looking at the "to do" list and it looks like depending on when you were accepted it won't be due til June 30th for early acceptance or about July 30th for the rest of us...If I read correctly.

hey buddy, nah, I didn't get any message like that. I paid for my seat deposit. If anything email Mary Beth Yokomi. Also anyone here that's complaining about the future of the pharmacy field has either really poor networking skills or has no actual passion for the field and is just in it for the money.

This is false

I'm pretty sure I remember them telling us that they will not recognize out of state students as in state at any point during the 4 years of schooling. Just contact them about it.
This is true.

Literally half of the posts in the Pre-Pharmacy and Pharmacy sections are filled with negative comments. Usually the same people who post "my gpa is 3.1 and my pcat is 74th percentile will I get accepted??" as well. Congrats. You went on rotations and impressed exactly 0 people. Congrats. You somehow landed a residency and impressed, again, 0 people. Then you wonder why you can only find a retail job. Are you guys really that surprised that getting a great pharmaceutical job that still pays well is hard? NO **** IT'S COMPETITIVE, LIKE EVERY MEDICAL FIELD. /rant
Why do you talk down on retail jobs/pharmacists?

I was told that I was put on the alternate list back in June. I recently got an email to sign up for the gatorlinkID. Did those who did not get accepted receive this email to sign up? Was the Gatorlink email the only email they sent an acceptance too?

I was told that I was put on the alternate list back in June. I recently got an email to sign up for the gatorlinkID. Did those who did not get accepted receive this email to sign up? Was the Gatorlink email the only email they sent an acceptance too?
I rescinded my acceptance back in January, and this week, I also got a Gatorlink email, if you got accepted, then you should have gotten two acceptance letters, one by mail, and the other by email.