University of FLorida: should I even bother applying?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

2411t

10+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Definitely apply. It is true that OOSers have a slimmer chance of acceptance, but I'd say that about half are OOSers. Almost all are in-state though.
My GPA was 3.49 when I applied, math and sci were 2.99. The min was 3.4 then(2007), but the min for UF was 3.0 (the perks of going there for undergrad!). I barely made the count, but the point is I did. Def try. It's better to know that it's a yes or a no than for you to say 'what if'...

Members don't see this ad :)
GPA: 3.4. Math and Sci = same.
PCAT = waiting on January
Good LOR's
Research Internship at Medical College of Wisconsin in Dept. of Pharmacology and Toxicology
Pharm Tech since September 09'
Other non-pharm related EC's
Interesting Personal Essay

Supposedly, OOS'ers have very little chance to get in. Should I even waste my time/money? On their website, it says I should have a minimum GPA of 3.6 and PCAT of 90% composite. I'm guessing I won't even be considered.

Since they explicitly say that you should have a minimum GPA of 3.6, you really should have a 3.6. According to their PharmCAS school page, they only let in 6 OOSers each year, so I'd be willing to bet that OOS competition is absolutely fierce. I applied, as an OOSer, with awesome stats and deep Florida roots, as I grew up in Miami and have a parent who attended UF, but I haven't heard a peep from them in a couple months (I even had to call them to receive a grudging--read: terribly rude--confirmation of a completed application). I definitely have buyer's remorse. On the other hand, the supplemental fee is pretty reasonable...

Last edited:
Since they explicitly say that you should have a minimum GPA of 3.6, you really should have a 3.6. According to their PharmCAS school page, they only let in 6 OOSers each year, so I'd be willing to bet that OOS competition is absolutely fierce. I applied, as an OOSer, with awesome stats and deep Florida roots, as I grew up in Miami and have a parent who attended UF, but I haven't heard a peep from them in a couple months (I even had to call them to receive a grudging--read: terribly rude--confirmation of a completed application). I definitely have buyer's remorse. On the other hand, the supplemental fee is pretty reasonable...
Haha yeah, I've e-mailed them a few times and always feel like the person on the other end is... angry at me.

Haha yeah, I've e-mailed them a few times and always feel like the person on the other end is... angry at me.

It's probably just because they're really busy right now... the deadline is in less than a week and they're probably getting bombarded with many applications. Also... if you read the COP website (I tried to read every little thing on it before I applied) they specifically ask for applicants to not call or email to inquire about their status. They're really nice and helpful if you need something specific or have questions about pre-reqs, applying, etc. The site says something about how they understand we will probably be stressed or nervous but we should have patience and wait to hear back from the school.

UF is one of my top choices since I'm a Florida resident and all, but from what I hear they only interview people who they are very serious about accepting. I have a competitive range GPA for in-state but it is on the lower end of that range. I have a 93 PCAT composite so I am hoping this helps, but I've been waiting for a few weeks myself. I ranked St Pete as my number one choice, and I don't think they will be interviewing again until early March. I would at least wait until mid-end of February to start worrying.

Dude, story of my pharmacy applying life. Whether it's professors for LORs, admissions people at schools, or whoever...they always seem pissed off at me! And I thought I was being very polite. I should try being a jerk to see if they would be nicer.

It's probably just because they're really busy right now... the deadline is in less than a week and they're probably getting bombarded with many applications. Also... if you read the COP website (I tried to read every little thing on it before I applied) they specifically ask for applicants to not call or email to inquire about their status. They're really nice and helpful if you need something specific or have questions about pre-reqs, applying, etc. The site says something about how they understand we will probably be stressed or nervous but we should have patience and wait to hear back from the school.

UF is one of my top choices since I'm a Florida resident and all, but from what I hear they only interview people who they are very serious about accepting. I have a competitive range GPA for in-state but it is on the lower end of that range. I have a 93 PCAT composite so I am hoping this helps, but I've been waiting for a few weeks myself. I ranked St Pete as my number one choice, and I don't think they will be interviewing again until early March. I would at least wait until mid-end of February to start worrying.

Actually, I called them, and received the spectacularly rude reply, quite awhile ago. Regardless, in my opinion, no "I'm busy!" excuse could possibly explain it.

Next, if the school doesn't want people calling to find out the status of their supplementals, they should send out some sort of automatic reply letting people know that their supplementals have been received and are complete (or do it via PharmCAS). I didn't call the school to pester them about my competitiveness or anything like that; I just wanted to make sure my materials had been received. I consider this reasonable, as I didn't spend all that time writing those mini-essay responses, and I didn't spend that $30, just to find out at the end of the application cycle that I was actually not considered because a piece of my application was missing/lost/hadn't been received, and I hadn't known about it.

Actually, I called them, and received the spectacularly rude reply, quite awhile ago. Regardless, in my opinion, no "I'm busy!" excuse could possibly explain it.

Next, if the school doesn't want people calling to find out the status of their supplementals, they should send out some sort of automatic reply letting people know that their supplementals have been received and are complete (or do it via PharmCAS). I didn't call the school to pester them about my competitiveness or anything like that; I just wanted to make sure my materials had been received. I consider this reasonable, as I didn't spend all that time writing those mini-essay responses, and I didn't spend that $30, just to find out at the end of the application cycle that I was actually not considered because a piece of my application was missing/lost/hadn't been received, and I hadn't known about it.

I understand that... my point is that with UF being a popular school I imagine a lot of worried applicants are calling about the same exact thing. If even half of the people who applied did that around the deadline they would be getting 750-1000 calls just to check up. Every other school I have applied to actually sent me a reminder about finishing my supplemental... I'm assuming if there was a problem UF would do the same. If not, there is always proof of your submission of the supplemental through your credit card/bank records.

I wasn't trying to be rude or belittle your concern for calling... I was just trying to explain that you shouldn't worry too much if they seem short or don't contact you right away.