University of Hawaii at Hilo COP - Applicants for 2010

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Accepted, see some of you down there this fall!

Members don't see this ad.

I got accepted at the University of MInnesota and didn't get an interview here (which I wouldn't be able to go to anyways) but WTFFF!!!!!!

no damage in hawaii!!! "tsunami" was really small... waves were at most only 3 ft. everything was back to normal in a few hours...

good luck to all of you guys still waiting. :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Accepted, see some of you down there this fall!

Congrats and I hope those of you on the waitlist will find out something soon as I know the waiting must be excrutiating!

Leaving for my job on the cruise line today but I'll try to check in when I can!:D

when i heard about tsunami i was like :eek: :wow: but then i was all :wtf:
if it had wiped out hilo oohhh man :boom:

Man, its the first week of march and I can't wait until they start to pull people from the alternate list...days are passing by so slow....

The waiting game sure isn't fun. I'd have to agree with you Dreamer! However, I think if you keep yourself constantly busy, then time will zoom by. I've been waiting for 3 months now for a response back from Husson University and still have not heard anything yet. They said that they will let us know by the end of March, which is almost here. Hehe!

I also received another interview several days ago for South University, which is scheduled for next Friday. If I get accepted there, that means that I won't have to move out of state again! :D

At first, Hilo was my #1 choice and I was very bummed out about being placed on the alternate list. I'm starting to feel like it's ok to be on the alternate list because I have 2 other schools who are still considering me. To those of you still waiting, don't lose hope. I've been applying for 4 years now and this is actually the first year that I've received at least one interview (thank God there's 3 though). I've kept all of my rejection letters from the previous years and am waiting for the day that I get accepted so that I can burn all of these rejections letters in a bonfire. :laugh:

The waiting game sure isn't fun. I'd have to agree with you Dreamer! However, I think if you keep yourself constantly busy, then time will zoom by. I've been waiting for 3 months now for a response back from Husson University and still have not heard anything yet. They said that they will let us know by the end of March, which is almost here. Hehe!

I also received another interview several days ago for South University, which is scheduled for next Friday. If I get accepted there, that means that I won't have to move out of state again! :D

At first, Hilo was my #1 choice and I was very bummed out about being placed on the alternate list. I'm starting to feel like it's ok to be on the alternate list because I have 2 other schools who are still considering me. To those of you still waiting, don't lose hope. I've been applying for 4 years now and this is actually the first year that I've received at least one interview (thank God there's 3 though). I've kept all of my rejection letters from the previous years and am waiting for the day that I get accepted so that I can burn all of these rejections letters in a bonfire. :laugh:

Rxgrl, hope you get into your number 1 choice. I'm in the same boat as you and have also been trying for a long time. So I actually will need to share your bonfire once I get in too! :)

Yep. Waiting sucks. It drains the energy out of you.
I thikn all us waitlisters should get together and drink/have coffee and drown this together.

yay fun!

:D

I hope I get off the waitlist. I've wanted to get accepted ever since my friends were accepted straight out of a 2 year. I waited 2 years to get my degree and still not accepted so this is frustrating.

I think it may be the interview that is hindering my chances. I am somewhat introverted but I don't thikn this prevents me from being the best pharmacist I can be.

I hope Hilo looks more of the applicant as a whole person and not just put too much emphasis on the presentation of the interview. I'm not sure if they are looking more for content of the response or the way you reply. I thought my interview went great but I'm not sure if I should correct what I said versus how I said it.

Interviewing skills are a dynamic process. Even if we didn't present ourselves the best way we can at the interview time, I'm sure we will develp them in pharmacy school by picking it up from those in the profession or students and faculty.

As a patient, I'd rather talk to a genuinely nice person than one who is simply good at answering questions but doesn't really have a heart of gold in it if that makes any sense.

I can HONESTLY say some of my patients find comfort in talking to me as a pharm tech more than talking to my pharmacist.

Last edited:
I was wondering when everyone submitted their applications. They received my application in December and I haven't heard anything yet. Should I email them? Call them?

I was wondering when everyone submitted their applications. They received my application in December and I haven't heard anything yet. Should I email them? Call them?

Unless you're a Hawaii resident, I think you're out of luck. The last interview dates they had for people on the continent were in Feb. Those may have been the last dates period.

Unless you're a Hawaii resident, I think you're out of luck. The last interview dates they had for people on the continent were in Feb. Those may have been the last dates period.

Oh no! Did you get that information from an interviewer or email them? I am a Hawaii resident, but I'm still pretty down about no more interviews on the mainland.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hopefully they start pulling from the waitlist soon! These last few months have been brutal. I know if it's meant to be it'll happen....and hopefully it'll happen. For those recently accepted, when is your deadline to accept? I bet they'll pull from the waitlist after that deadline....hmm.....

Hopefully they start pulling from the waitlist soon! These last few months have been brutal. I know if it's meant to be it'll happen....and hopefully it'll happen. For those recently accepted, when is your deadline to accept? I bet they'll pull from the waitlist after that deadline....hmm.....

I don't know but I just got pulled off the waitlist for University of Wyoming and they made their decisions last Monday! I was informed that I was going to be waitlisted and I had to send in some form. I sent that in this morning and then a few hours later I got an acceptance e-mail! So I was only on the waitlist for a little more than a week!

Congratulations, now If I could only be pulled off as well, that would be great...

I just had my interview this morning at South University and I felt really good about it as opposed to my other 2 interviews. Hilo's interview was good too but I was placed on the waitlist. I'm assuming my gpa had something to do with it. I wish I could've explained the reason for that at Hilo but my interviewer never bothered to ask me about it. At South, they asked me about it and I gave them an honest answer and that I was partying a lot 8-9 yrs ago. He knows that I've changed a lot from it because ever since I moved, my grades were mainly A's and some B's. So I'm hoping that I will hear some good news in 2 weeks. I feel a lot better about this one so I'm keeping my fingers crossed. I hope Hilo starts pulling ppl from the waitlist soon. I'm sure all of you are anxious to hear something. Good luck to everyone!

Good news for the waitlisted people: My seat just opened up. Good luck to everyone still in the running.

i'm waitlisted too and hilo is my #1 choice too :scared:

i had a friend last year who was interviewed in nov and not pulled from the waitlist till close to the end of may .... but she's in now and she loves it!

anyone else have any sort of idea when the pulling will begin? is it safe to call and ask liz h?

Someone mentioned here that you're either accepted or put on the alternate list right? Meaning-- no one is essentially rejected after the interview and that the alternate list is really a waitlist?
How do we know our rank or how much we are moving up?

If they give us a rank at least we will know our chances and can consider making deposits for other schools.

just curious; for those who were accepted, how long did they give you to make a deposit?

Someone mentioned here that you're either accepted or put on the alternate list right? Meaning-- no one is essentially rejected after the interview and that the alternate list is really a waitlist?
How do we know our rank or how much we are moving up?

If they give us a rank at least we will know our chances and can consider making deposits for other schools.
While I don't like the system of an unranked listed unfortunately it's what they use. You have no idea if you are first or last, all you will be told is they are 'constantly reviewing the alternate list'.

**sigh** I've been waitlisted as well... I mean "alternate-listed" :p. congrats to all that were accepted though!!!!

After being accepted I had until March 12th to complete my forms and payments

So I haven't heard anything more from Hilo (still on the wait list), but I just received an interview for University of Southern Nevada today! It sounds like a good school but I am still hoping for Hilo =) No one has been removed from the wait list yet right?

This thread has been dying out.

Hilo, if anything, should inform waitlisters of their standing because for mainlanders to relocate to Hawaii, there will be a lot to have to prepare for, such as shipping the car or buying one in Hawaii.

This thread has been dying out.

Hilo, if anything, should inform waitlisters of their standing because for mainlanders to relocate to Hawaii, there will be a lot to have to prepare for, such as shipping the car or buying one in Hawaii.

It's going to slow down until someone starts to hear something. Just hang in there and try to do something to keep busy in the meanwhile. That way, the wait won't seem so long. :)

So I haven't heard anything more from Hilo (still on the wait list), but I just received an interview for University of Southern Nevada today! It sounds like a good school but I am still hoping for Hilo =) No one has been removed from the wait list yet right?

The wait list is rolling, so people are being pulled from the waitlist as time goes on.

Your interviewer at UHH does not have your GPA.. if they did that would make a unfair/biased interview. The interviewers have your personal statement only. My GPA wasnt that good, but I explained breifly about it, and they interviewer said that they look at the whole package. I got it still..

I just had my interview this morning at South University and I felt really good about it as opposed to my other 2 interviews. Hilo's interview was good too but I was placed on the waitlist. I'm assuming my gpa had something to do with it. I wish I could've explained the reason for that at Hilo but my interviewer never bothered to ask me about it. At South, they asked me about it and I gave them an honest answer and that I was partying a lot 8-9 yrs ago. He knows that I've changed a lot from it because ever since I moved, my grades were mainly A's and some B's. So I'm hoping that I will hear some good news in 2 weeks. I feel a lot better about this one so I'm keeping my fingers crossed. I hope Hilo starts pulling ppl from the waitlist soon. I'm sure all of you are anxious to hear something. Good luck to everyone!

So does anyone know if interviews are still being offered? I got an email my application was complete in December.

Id just like to clarify something about the application process. First off, wait listers: dont fear! The entire class has not been sat yet. This year, the applicants have been very good.. and the school knows that, so they are placing most on the wait list, and are choosing the best group from all those who made it through the process. The class is built not strictly on numbers, but on how they think everyone will interact, etc. The first year is not that tough, because everyone comes from different background, and they aim is to make everyone on the same page. But, in the P2 year, its kicked up 10 notches when you begin integrated therapeutics. They want to make sure you can survive that transition.

I know of classmates who were offered in August, and decided to come.

As for your order on the waitlist.. no sense in asking because you wont find out. Its also quite possible that there isnt an order to it, but they look for someone comparable to the one who opted not to attend. As with all schools, your rank on such a list is a closely guarded secret.

hope that helps and feel free to email me if you have more questions:
[email protected]

i am also on the alternate list and interviewed in december

from what i know, they are still conducting interviews but winding down to the end, they could choose to interview more though... *shrugs*

the only thing they could really tell me about the list is that its a "pool of applicant" rather than something with hierarchical order :confused:

congrats to everyone that got in and good luck to all of us on the waitlist :luck:

hard work pays off and patience is golden.
Keep hope and be positive.

I'm givin' up my spot to go elsewhere

GoodLuck everyone :luck:

So I am guessing that you're going to USN right? I also interviewed there on March 2. Dr. Deyoung hasn't come around to call yet.
But thanks for opening up a spot for those like me here in Hilo lol.

Congratulatios! March flew by quickly so hopefully they start to pull from the waitlist soonl I'm starting to get excited that we're going to hear soon..hopefully. :)

So I just got some voicemail from an academic advisor in Hilo asking me if I wanted to go to school there this fall. I didn't really understand his message, he said something about already having sent out a notice and wanted to know of my decision. However I don't remember getting any email saying I was accepted or anything to that nature. Did anyone else get their acceptance through a phone call or did my email just never come through? In any rate, I will be calling tomorrow.

So I just got some voicemail from an academic advisor in Hilo asking me if I wanted to go to school there this fall. I didn't really understand his message, he said something about already having sent out a notice and wanted to know of my decision. However I don't remember getting any email saying I was accepted or anything to that nature. Did anyone else get their acceptance through a phone call or did my email just never come through? In any rate, I will be calling tomorrow.

so were you able to get a hold of someone? good luck! keep us posted!

He doesn't need luck, he's already accepted in Wyoming :p

I am Tutam. I'd like to say Hi to all members on this forum.

Hi Michael, since you were accepted to Hilo, would you mind sharing your stats so that we, on alternate list, see if we have hope for admission? Thanks.
Congrats on your acceptance, Michael!!! Which school will you choose to go this Fall?

Aloha, just wanted to join the wait list frenzy here. I interviewed in December, and was also wait-listed a week later. I am also a resident. I've already heard of a handful of students who accepted offers here. But again, they are also residents.

I feel sad that there are only 50 seats for mainlanders.

Tutam, my GPA is 3.6 and PCAT score was 67. For all y'all still on the waitlist...I will NOT be headin' out to Hawai'i this fall but still going to Wyoming, my state school. So another one of y'all will still have a chance to get into a sweet pharmacy school! :)

Thank you Michael. Your stats is very good. No wonder you were one of the first waitlist applicants that they took your name off the list. Wish you success in your state school :)
Wish us LUCK!! :xf:

It seems as though this thread has slowed down a lot. I guess no one has been pulled off the waitlist yet. I wish Hilo would do it much sooner instead of waiting until end. It's already mid-April and we still haven't heard anything.

I've already been pulled off the waitlist after 2 weeks of waiting for one school.
I've also been waitlisted for Hilo and one other school as well. I received A total of 5 interviews this year but have declined the last 2 offers once I heard about my acceptance to one of the schools. :) I hope we hear something soon from Hilo!

RxGirl, Congratulations on your acceptance to a pharmacy school!!! I am happy for you. :)

Well, I went down to see Hilo. The town is amazing. I want to be on it. Someone can enjoy my spot though. I'm taking Denver. I found out that if you are accepted to school there before you have lived there, you have almost no chance of gaining residency unless you marry someone from the island. The reason for that is they view your primary reason for being on the island is school and not to be a resident. !!Even with driver's license, buying a house, and paying taxes if you hadn't already gained residency before school starts your chances are very close to 0 to get in-state!! This was confirmed with several school officials. This is different from all the other states in the US, so it can be a surprise. One student said she went down there expecting to get in-state, and had been rejected by the Residency Board which sits in Oahu several years in a row and now had so many loans she could not even pay to get a flight back home. If you're an out of stater expecting in-state, keep this in mind. Chances are you will have $250,000 in loans after leaving their program, since their food/rent section of tuition estimation is underestimated (expect ~60K/year total). A school official also said that tuition will likely increase in the coming years. Not to say that with a pharmacist's salary you won't be OK, but it'll be a long road.

Good luck with your decision.

Thanks for giving one of the waitlisters a chance and thanks for a brief detail on how Hilo looks like.

Hi everyone! I'm still waiting for Hilo too! I was accepted to 3 other schools and most of them already want a deposit. I'm going to give a deposit to UC Denver because I'm not sure when they're going to pull waitlisters. last years thread was around this time,early April right?

Well, I went down to see Hilo. The town is amazing. I want to be on it. Someone can enjoy my spot though. I'm taking Denver. I found out that if you are accepted to school there before you have lived there, you have almost no chance of gaining residency unless you marry someone from the island. The reason for that is they view your primary reason for being on the island is school and not to be a resident. !!Even with driver's license, buying a house, and paying taxes if you hadn't already gained residency before school starts your chances are very close to 0 to get in-state!! This was confirmed with several school officials. This is different from all the other states in the US, so it can be a surprise. One student said she went down there expecting to get in-state, and had been rejected by the Residency Board which sits in Oahu several years in a row and now had so many loans she could not even pay to get a flight back home. If you're an out of stater expecting in-state, keep this in mind. Chances are you will have $250,000 in loans after leaving their program, since their food/rent section of tuition estimation is underestimated (expect ~60K/year total). A school official also said that tuition will likely increase in the coming years. Not to say that with a pharmacist's salary you won't be OK, but it'll be a long road.

I agree with this statement. I was also accepted to my state school and UHH. If cost wasn't an issue, I would have most definitely gone to UHH. However, with the down economy, it makes it difficult to add on excessive debt especially if job prospects are very difficult to predict in four years. I really wish UHH would look into changing residency requirements so that it could attract more out of state students looking for a special educational experience.