University of Hawaii, Hilo vs University of Illinois, Chicago? Need advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

daehanminguk

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone!

I was wondering if anyone would be kind enough to provide insight on these two schools.

I am aware UIC is stronger in clinicals.

As for Hawaii, it serves the Pacific region.

I’ve heard both produce fantastic pharmacists.

Anything I’m missing? Any help or advice is greatly appreciated! :)

Thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

Don’t choose Hawai’i. Many, many problems. 8 professors just left, either by force or because the ship is sinking. They have a new building so that’s good but they are trying to figure themselves out.

Reactions: 1 user
bestpharmacyschools.org ranks UIC as #70/130 and Hawaii at #115
Historical first time pass rates on the NAPLEX (You can find online, but roughly equates to average score) is a strong indicator of overall preparedness to practice pharmacy, provided no major changes in administration. If those are your only two choices, I would choose UIC. At least they are considered average. There is also a graphing tool at bestpharmacyschools that allows you to compare multiple colleges of pharmacy. If you are looking for something really different like industry, you might look further. Another strong indicator is program with a very high match rate on residencies.
There are always reasons such as finances and personal situations that may cause a person to choose a lower performing program, and there are always outstanding students in those programs, but as a hiring manager, I am going to ask a graduate of a lower performing program where else they applied, and why they chose that particular program. I am also often going to weed out their CV early because their experiential training and clinical rotations are generally not going to meet my expectations. As I said, there are exceptions to every rule, but it's often going to take a personal reference to even get them in the door.
My opinion FWIW

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Don’t choose Hawai’i. Many, many problems. 8 professors just left, either by force or because the ship is sinking. They have a new building so that’s good but they are trying to figure themselves out.

bestpharmacyschools.org ranks UIC as #70/130 and Hawaii at #115
Historical first time pass rates on the NAPLEX (You can find online, but roughly equates to average score) is a strong indicator of overall preparedness to practice pharmacy, provided no major changes in administration. If those are your only two choices, I would choose UIC. At least they are considered average. There is also a graphing tool at bestpharmacyschools that allows you to compare multiple colleges of pharmacy. If you are looking for something really different like industry, you might look further. Another strong indicator is program with a very high match rate on residencies.
There are always reasons such as finances and personal situations that may cause a person to choose a lower performing program, and there are always outstanding students in those programs, but as a hiring manager, I am going to ask a graduate of a lower performing program where else they applied, and why they chose that particular program. I am also often going to weed out their CV early because their experiential training and clinical rotations are generally not going to meet my expectations. As I said, there are exceptions to every rule, but it's often going to take a personal reference to even get them in the door.
My opinion FWIW

Yep! Chose UIC :)