University of Hawaii

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sharsky

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
*sigh* I just called the office of admissions today and they said they're really behind with reviewing applications! So they're not sending out final decisions until mid-May to end of May! The agony they put us through!

Members don't see this ad.

i think they were worried about the impending teacher strike more... but looks like it wont be happening anymore, so it should be picking up

i'm out of state and i'm not up with the happenings in hawaii...what's the teacher strike?

Members don't see this ad :)
Do you have to have some kind of connection w/ the state of hawaii to be considered at their med school?

Originally posted by irie
Do you have to have some kind of connection w/ the state of hawaii to be considered at their med school?

not at all. there a few people on this site like lonecoyote that have absolutely no connection to hawaii but still got interview invites. but obviously most of their entering class is from the state of hawaii.

Originally posted by jlee9531
not at all. there a few people on this site like lonecoyote that have absolutely no connection to hawaii but still got interview invites. but obviously most of their entering class is from the state of hawaii.

nice... muchas gradias dude

FYI: The strike is all but settled, so that shouldn't be the cause of holdups any longer.

Another item to note is that Hawaii has some of the hottest girls on the planet. And........................as you were.

Another item to note is that Hawaii has some of the hottest girls on the planet. And........................as you were.

my friend who is pretty damn hot...told me that she is absolutely nothing compaerd to the girls over there.

but thats not my major reason for wanting to visit of course. its patriotic to visit other states that are apart of this great nation. :D

i think it actually is pretty difficult to get not only a secondary (they prescreen) but especially an interview invite from JABSOM if you have no ties to the state. if you look at the MSAR, they give a tiny amount of out of state applicant interviews. that being said, it's definitely not impossible, and it seems like there are a decent number of people on this site who have gotten them without a connection, myself being one. i've also been told that you have a pretty decent chance of getting accepted if you make it to an interview invite.

i spent a summer there on an internship and at one point was very strongly considering practicing there in the future, so i dunno if that had anything to do with me getting an interview. they're definitely very oriented towards graduating physicians who want to serve the asian/pacific islander population.

the guys there are ehh... but yeah, tons of gorgeous girls everywhere especially since there are a lot of people of mixed descent... and i think they're even prettier because it is a very natural kind of beauty.

hawaii reserves about 10% of each class (6 spots) for out of staters. they have a formula based on grades, mcats, other degrees, etc. if you have enough points, you get an interview. contrary to what lilstina said, i think it's still an uphill battle, even if you get an interview.

Originally posted by coachB
hawaii reserves about 10% of each class (6 spots) for out of staters. they have a formula based on grades, mcats, other degrees, etc. if you have enough points, you get an interview. contrary to what lilstina said, i think it's still an uphill battle, even if you get an interview.

agreed. that was the main reason i ended up not flying out there to interview. i really couldn't afford it and it just seemed like the odds were low. i think my past work with the underserved and my strong interests in community medicine helped me get the interview with no ties to the state. it's a great school though, esp if you want community medicine and a pbl curriculum. so its worth a shot to go for it if you can make it work :)

Originally posted by LoneCoyote
agreed. that was the main reason i ended up not flying out there to interview. i really couldn't afford it and it just seemed like the odds were low. i think my past work with the underserved and my strong interests in community medicine helped me get the interview with no ties to the state. it's a great school though, esp if you want community medicine and a pbl curriculum. so its worth a shot to go for it if you can make it work :)

apologies for the misconception guys. i was just saying what someone else had told me before, but thanks for clearing it up. :)

i felt the same way as you... with so few spots for out of staters, i didn't think it would be worth the flight out and paying for food, getting around to the interviews, etc, even though i had somewhere to stay.

i am curious about the point system though, because my stats are nothing exciting, probably even a little below average i think. maybe my public health internship helped a little... who knows...

Members don't see this ad :)
A lot of folks got their rejection (I mean acceptance) letters today. Damn, looks like I'm back in the app game again. That's ok. I lost that hunger this past semester waiting for a reply but it's back now. Aug MCAT here I come!

If I had the money, I would have applied just to try to get an interview so I could go to Hawaii for a few days. That's gotta be the best interview location out of any med school. It's like taking a vacation!

Coincidentally, is Hawaii Med one of the few schools where everyone's laid back? I get the impression that people in Hawaii are about as laid back as they come.

I'm just curious - does the school have the ability to offer any kind of reduced airfare for people coming out for interviews? Flights to Hawaii are super expensive, any time of year, more than any other domestic flights that we interviewees have been on. I'm just wondering if they help reduce the cost, or if they let that be one of their screening tools - to see who wants to go there badly enough to shell out the bucks?

No luck there- HI does NOT give reduced airfare for interviewees, but they do have fairly decent (although not drastically reduced) hotel deals.

If you want to fly to HI to interview for the 6 spots they give to out-of-staters (they interview around 100), you have to shell out the bucks. I had to consider my interview there a short vacation- although I still have not heard from them...........

Hope this helps!

Alexander99 said:
If I had the money, I would have applied just to try to get an interview so I could go to Hawaii for a few days. That's gotta be the best interview location out of any med school. It's like taking a vacation!

Coincidentally, is Hawaii Med one of the few schools where everyone's laid back? I get the impression that people in Hawaii are about as laid back as they come.
i hear for one person...that the interview process was stressful...
cause a rental car was required to get around to go meet the interviewers at their respective locations since they werent nice enough to meet at the actual med school.
if i was someone that had to do that on a place ive never been to before that would kinda suck.

but i just think that interviewer was being a punk and lazy...

jlee9531 said:
cause a rental car was required to get around to go meet the interviewers at their respective locations since they werent nice enough to meet at the actual med school.
if i was someone that had to do that on a place ive never been to before that would kinda suck.

That bites, but what interviewer ISN'T a punk and lazy? :laugh:

Good luck getting in??I ?just? went to the engineering school and almost everyone was ?local?.

Hey, who heard from JABSOM recently? I thought we weren't supposed to hear until June. What's this about letters being sent out this week?
Not that I really think that I will be one of the 6 out of stater's chosen.
The interview structure was acutally really great I thought. Yes it sucked to have to rent a car, yes my credit card is really feeling the bite. But the interviewers really took the time to talk with me, they were more familliar with my application than at any other school. I'm not sure about so much PBL though...
BUT I got to surf better waves than I have ever surfed in my whole life! That would be one way to stay sane in medical school. Instant stress relief.

ih8biochem said:
A lot of folks got their rejection (I mean acceptance) letters today. Damn, looks like I'm back in the app game again. That's ok. I lost that hunger this past semester waiting for a reply but it's back now. Aug MCAT here I come!

I'm still waiting to hear from UH, but perhaps it is because I am on the East Coast, mail is taking a bit longer to reach. Did anyone else get final decisions from JABSOM?

jlee9531 said:

I think most of the interviews are off-campus and around Honolulu. I had an easy time with my second interview because my mom used to work in the hospital my interviewer worked in. However, I'm REALLY glad I found the place for my first interview the night before. I was searching for literally an hour and a half.

If anyone gets an interview next year with a Pediatrician, and you end up REALLY close to the Kahala Mall, there is a medical office building behind the parking structure, just past the grocery store. I'd really recommend you look for your interview location beforehand if possible!

Has anyone in CA heard a response yet from Hawaii?

just wondering, but are any of you worried about their pbl curriculum? like for those of you who interviewed, didn't their boards scores record concern you? i'm not trying to disuade any of you from going to hawaii btw. I'm from hawaii, and i love it there. but i'm thinking twice about going there as opposed to a more reputable school on the mainland.

Yeah, board scores weren't so hot, like 75% passage I think 2 years ago. But they have started offering a core science lecture per students' request, which is encouraging.
I would probably choose a different school if I got in - I also don't think PBL suits me personally. But it does make for a nice community of students. Everyone I met was so genuinely friendly. And I'd love to be in a small class of only 60 students.

I think I remember UH's board scores were pretty average...... That's what they said at the interview.

I am a bit concerned about the PBL curriculum. It seems that type of curriculum is geared towards a very disciplined type of student. Self-directed learning- more so than other schools/curricula. I personally like a little more structure. I have heard from med students that the small group learning is really obnoxious.

Anyone else have some other perspectives? Anyone heard from UH?

It is a BEAUTIFUL location and I can see myself wearing shorts and slippers (flipflops) year-round. I was impressed with the laid-back attitude but still am not sure if that will be the best way for me to learn medicine.

I called today and the said they'd mailed out all decisions this Monday.

i just got back from oahu and my gosh, the girls there were unbelievable. my family doc is from hawaii and she is HOT and she's 29 too. man...i could get nothing done there.

One thing that may not be well known about the University of Hawaii -- 10-20 years ago, Hawaii was a really hot place for troical disease research. They switched tracks a bit when some of their best researchers left and have been primarily a school for instate physicians for the past few years.

They have just recruited a big researcher (formerly a director of CDC) and are on their way to becoming a center of excellence for trop med again. (http://www.hawaii.edu/malamalama/2003/11/f3_biothreat.html) I imagine that their residency requirements may loosen a bit as this center picks up pace. It's definitely worth a look.

Just got the big R today......from Cali, no connections to HI

I got my letter today, and I was wait-listed. I'm in San Diego. Hopefully everyone else waiting will get their letters soon.

I only had one tie to Hawaii (born there).

jlee9531 said:
my friend who is pretty damn hot...told me that she is absolutely nothing compaerd to the girls over there.

but thats not my major reason for wanting to visit of course. its patriotic to visit other states that are apart of this great nation. :D

Speaking of which, I heard something hilarious about Hawaii a while back.

So the age of legal consent there is 14 I believe. Can you imagine being in court and telling the judge, "But you're honor, she looked 14!" LOL. :laugh:

Alexander99 said:
Speaking of which, I heard something hilarious about Hawaii a while back.

So the age of legal consent there is 14 I believe. Can you imagine being in court and telling the judge, "But you're honor, she looked 14!" LOL. :laugh:

It's 16 now. :smuggrin:

I would like to go to Hawaii last this summer with plans to get into the school. What is the standard of living like?

How much is a typical rent for an apartment?
Is car insurance high?
Are jobs hard to find? I have BS in biochemistry. I am also skilled in few trades such as carpentry, auto repair, and sushi.

Thanks.
A

Last edited:
tofoo said:
I would like to go to Hawaii last this summer with plans to get into the school. What is the standard of living like?

How much is a typical rent for an apartment?
Is car insurance high?
Are jobs hard to find? I have BS in biochemistry. I am also skilled in few trades such as carpentry, auto repair, and sushi.

Thanks.
Aram

1. It really depends on where. Near Waikiki it's atrocious. Near campus and around that area it's a little lower. Average about 500-600 dollars for a studio.

2. Not sure.

3. If you have a B.S. in Biochem, you'll get a job here quickly. Lot's of research centers, on campus and off. (Hawaii Cancer Research Center). And if you're a sushi chef, you are definitely golden :).

I interviewed at Hawaii two years ago. I am from California, had no ties to Hawaii at all, but applied on somewhat of a whim. I was shocked to get the phone call for an interview. I had to set up the interview myself and with the Dean. The curriculum was interesting, and who could beat studying Hawaii. Supposedly they're to build a whole new school closer to the coast.

Anyways, I was waitlisted and denied a few months later. It was an interesting experience though since I started the week in Burlington, went through NYC to Syracuse, came home for Halloween, then ended the week in Honolulu.

Alexander99 said:

most people in hawaii are laid back. among med students, we're about as laid back as med students can get, but of course there are a few gunners in every class.

Got my rejection letter on Wednesday. I'm from California.

I was hoping to hear good news on here that someone from SDN got an acceptance letter.

Anyhow, if you got one and just didn't post about it, Congrats!

Btw, does anyone know if the waitlist moves much?

i'm really sorry to hear that some of you didn't get in. I really don't know if the waitlist moves much. but on the plus side my brother is in his third year there and he sys among the out of staters that get in they're usually all from cali. hopefully i'll meet some of you this fall. good luck!

i got my acceptance letter a week ago... if that helps you guys see how its going. i'm an in stater, at school in cali.

rambo said:
1. It really depends on where. Near Waikiki it's atrocious. Near campus and around that area it's a little lower. Average about 500-600 dollars for a studio.

2. Not sure.

3. If you have a B.S. in Biochem, you'll get a job here quickly. Lot's of research centers, on campus and off. (Hawaii Cancer Research Center). And if you're a sushi chef, you are definitely golden :).

Rambo. That's encouraging news. Now how would I go about moving there? What would be a good place to look for these studios via online?

Tofoo