2025-2026 U Hawaii (Burns)

Started by wysdoc
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

wysdoc

Plain-spoken Texan
Administrator
Volunteer Staff
Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
+1 Secondary app fee

+1 Secondary on 6/30/2025

Please provide responses to essay A, B, and C. If you are a re-applicant, also respond to essay D. Please limit responses to 600 words per essay.

A) Reflect on a recent instance where you were given personal feedback that was unfavorable or difficult to receive. How did you respond? Elaborate on how this experience has shaped the way in which you interact with others. (600 word limit)

C) Describe why you have chosen to apply to JABSOM and if you have any personal connections to the school, Hawaii or the Pacific Basin. If you do not have a personal connection, elaborate on your motivations for applying to JABSOM. (600 word limit) (C comes before B lol)

B) Describe how you have impactfully contributed to a community with which you identify. (600 word limit)

D) If you are a re-applicant to JABSOM, please complete the following additional essay. Elaborate on the specific steps you have taken to enhance your candidacy for the MD program and why you chose to take these steps. (600 wod limit)
 
Last edited:
So I made the dumb mistake of waiting until literally the last minute of the 2-week deadline to submit the JABSOM- hawaii secondary. on the last part of the secondary, i did not have time to type out all of my letter writers names/organizations for the letter writer audit form to track letters, so I only typed out the 2 required ones. Do you think I will need to email them my remaining 4 letter writers information or should follow up somehow? for reference, I submitted 6 letters in total directly from AMCAS to them. Thank you!
 
Last edited:
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
So I made the dumb mistake of waiting until literally the last minute of the 1-week deadline to submit the JABSOM- hawaii secondary. on the last part of the secondary, i did not have time to type out all of my letter writers names/organizations for the letter writer audit form to track letters, so I only typed out the 2 required ones. Do you think I will need to email them my remaining 4 letter writers information or should follow up somehow? for reference, I submitted 6 letters in total directly from AMCAS to them. Thank you!
I believe it was a 2 week deadline. I'd email them and let them know, from my experience they are very responsive
 
Interesting, I received a secondary and just got a post II - rejection. I am confused as to why it would be called a preliminary rejection in my case.
post II, meaning they offered you an interview invite (II) and rejected you post interview? I got a pre-interview rejection, after submitting my secondary. preliminary makes sense because they screened through both primary & secondary apps for interviews
 
post II, meaning they offered you an interview invite (II) and rejected you post interview? I got a pre-interview rejection, after submitting my secondary. preliminary makes sense because they screened through both primary & secondary apps for interviews
Oh makes sense, sorry I am not too familiar with interview designations.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
IS II. Completed first week of September. 3.4 science gpa. 3.5 cumulative. 4.0 post bacc program (all science). 508 MCAT.

Heavy clinical and research
 
do you mind sharing how many interview slots you saw were available when you signed up?
It does not work like that for JABSOM. They pick out two physicians/faculty randomly and you have to email them to set up your interviews. There was not an "interview week" or "slots." 3 interviews total-two with physicians/faculty and one with someone from admissions.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi all, just wondering if anyone knew if the third interview with the dean is similar to the first two with physicians/faculty?
 
Hi all, just wondering if anyone knew if the third interview with the dean is similar to the first two with physicians/faculty?
Hi! I'd say it's similar but depends on who your first two interviewers were. Dr. Asano is very kind and likes to keep it conversational to get to know you.
 
Wdym by early A?
I was told that the adcom composite scores can affect when you hear back; if you are given an overall composite score of an 8 or above (from a scale of 1-10), you can potentially hear back about an A sooner than their listed date of mid-March for all admission decisions. Not sure about the particular individual OP is talking about though
 
Didn't realize they had specific dates listed but their website says that interviews run until 2/7 and decisions come out on 3/13, fingers crossed for everyone!
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad