University of Houston C/O 2017 Applicants

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
is the interview a closed file or an open file interview

Mine was closed. I guess that's the standard but I can't say for sure for others.

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Bs in Biochem from this school with a 99 composite pcat and I didn't get an invite to interview. What kind of bull**** is this? Texas tech is better anyways.

That sucks you didn't get an invite. Did you have any trouble with classes early on? Did you apply late? A friend of mine had a 97 percentile pcat and around a 3.5 gpa but didn't get an invite. He said it was probably because he applied later and rushed his supplemental. Good luck in the future and I'm sure you'll find a great school.

That sucks you didn't get an invite. Did you have any trouble with classes early on? Did you apply late? A friend of mine had a 97 percentile pcat and around a 3.5 gpa but didn't get an invite. He said it was probably because he applied later and rushed his supplemental. Good luck in the future and I'm sure you'll find a great school.

Your friend should be pissed too. Not even getting an interview with stats like ours is a slap in the face.
Yea I applied a bit late because I took the pcat for the first time in October and I had to wait for those scores to come in.
Still though they shouldn't admit a whole bunch of people right away and not even give late comers a chance. We got our applications in on time, and that's what matters.

Had my interview today and had a great experience! Hopefully i get accepted here as it is my number one choice! Good luck guys!

Your friend should be pissed too. Not even getting an interview with stats like ours is a slap in the face.
Yea I applied a bit late because I took the pcat for the first time in October and I had to wait for those scores to come in.
Still though they shouldn't admit a whole bunch of people right away and not even give late comers a chance. We got our applications in on time, and that's what matters.

That's probably why y'all didn't get an invite. The latest most schools accept the pcat for the incoming cycle of applicants is September.

That's probably why y'all didn't get an invite. The latest most schools accept the pcat for the incoming cycle of applicants is September.

I don't thnk that's the case. I took my PCAT on October 31st but I still got an invite. The only school I couldn't apply to was UT. Everywhere else, I got an interview.

I don't understand why you guys are surprised that UH has a rolling admissions process. You should know that it's a first come, first serve type of thing. On their website it clearly states that they encourage students to take their PCAT early in July or September. So, there's really no point in blaming them.

I don't understand why you guys are surprised that UH has a rolling admissions process. You should know that it's a first come, first serve type of thing. On their website it clearly states that they encourage students to take their PCAT early in July or September. So, there's really no point in blaming them.

This is a very good point. I remember at the interview day a member of the faculty saying that they could not stress enough how important it was for applicants to apply early and have all of their materials, forms, essays, etc. taken care of. It also does clearly state on the website that the PCAT should be taken early to ensure of scores being processed on time.

Someone private messaged me asking the pros and cons of UH. That is a very good question, so I thought I would share my response with everyone.

Pros:
- The world-renown Texas Medical Center: It's the world's largest medical center and there are many guest lecturers from various hospitals that lecture on campus. This also allows for many great networking opportunities. During your P3 and P4 years, you will go on APPE rotations mainly at sites in the Houston area which include hospitals in the TMC.
- Partnership with PCCA: Students come from around the U.S. to do advanced compounding rotations and the UH/PCCA partnership allows students to have easy access to opportunities that other schools may not provide.
- Friendly students with a family-like atmosphere: In general people want to succeed and are more than willing to help each other. There is no competitive, cut-throat environment at UH COP.
- Many leadership opportunities: There's over 15 pharmacy student organizations. You can look at the Pharmacy Council page for more information: http://uhpharmacycouncil.weebly.com. This past year there's now two new organizations that are not listed - the UH Student Pharmacy PAC and the Indian Student Association.
- UH COP eases you into the 1st semester of P1 year where you only take 13 credit hours, have classes M-Th 1-4 PM, and no class on Fridays.
- Mentor-mentee program: If you choose to participate in the mentor-mentee program, you will be paired with a P2 student that you can go to for any questions. You will also be paired with a faculty member.
- UH COP sets up a networking event with retail pharmacy companies and a summer internship interview day. You just have to show up!
- Unlike nearly all the other pharmacy schools in Texas, there is no need to worry about what city you are going to be in during your P4 year for APPE rotations : If you choose to do so, you can have all your rotations in Houston. Some other schools you have to rank a region, and then you'll have to find a place to crash during that rotation. There are no guarantees you will get that region either so you may end up in an area you do not want to work in.

Cons:
- The main campus building is old, has a funky smell, and the temperature is bipolar. We're getting a new building sometime in 2015 but until then we have to endure.
- This is most likely true at other schools, but some professors are not that great of lecturers: There are professors who really care and will go above and beyond to help students. And there are those who focus on research and could learn how to be more dynamic speakers.
- UH main campus is situated in a low income neighborhood so crime can be an issue. Be smart, walk with a buddy at night, and be aware of your surroundings.
- Wireless internet often times does not work

Some people consider Houston itself a pro while others would classify it as a con. I think judging a city is very subjective since that depends on your own background. Personally I love the diversity of the city, its people, and the activities. Since Houston is so massive, there are many hospitals and pharmacies around the town so there are many job opportunities. However, I do hate the rush hour traffic.

Last edited by a moderator:

I understand it's upsetting to not be granted an interview. If I were in your shoes, I would be disappointed as well as I would not have even had the chance to talk to faculty and prove why I would be a good candidate.

Some people have already addressed the issue regarding timing and the rolling admissions process, so I will focus more on the stats portion of your concern. Keep in mind that UH COP looks for a well-rounded applicant. Even though your PCAT and GPA are impressive, they are only a small fraction of the entire application. How were your letters of recommendation and personal statement? Did you showcase your passion for pharmacy, leadership, research, work experiences, and community service activities well on your application? Did you get someone to proofread your writing for spelling and grammatical mistakes? Did UH COP receive every piece of the application on time and were they neat? There are so many factors that go into the application process, so it is difficult to say what exactly deterred the ad com from granting you an interview.

Best wishes!

It's not the case. I took the October PCAT and the score was taken into consideration. But it was my second attempt though; some of my classmates said that they wouldn't take any first attempt PCAT later than September of the year prior to admission.
I even submitted my paperwork relatively late (beginning of December) and was granted an interview in February.

And by the way guys, still nothing from the Feb 16th interview? Does anyone have any insight regarding when the adcom would meet up?:scared: The wait is horrible !!

Members don't see this ad :)
It's not the case. I took the October PCAT and the score was taken into consideration. But it was my second attempt though; some of my classmates said that they wouldn't take any first attempt PCAT later than September of the year prior to admission.
I even submitted my paperwork relatively late (beginning of December) and was granted an interview in February.

And by the way guys, still nothing from the Feb 16th interview? Does anyone have any insight regarding when the adcom would meet up?:scared: The wait is horrible !!

They are working on it and will send out email by the end of this week or early next week.

I thought that everyone should know a little more about how each of these school got their rankings, especially since it's been thrown around here a lot that UHCOP is #48 while UTCOP is #4.

"All the health rankings are based solely on the results of peer assessment surveys sent to deans, other administrators, and/or faculty at accredited degree programs or schools in each discipline. All schools surveyed in a discipline were sent the same number of surveys.

Respondents rated the academic quality of programs on a scale of 1 (marginal) to 5 (outstanding). They were instructed to select "don't know" if they did not have enough knowledge to rate a program. Only fully accredited programs in good standing during the survey period are ranked. Those schools with the highest average scores appear in the rankings."

Just from this description alone of how they get their rankings should let you know that you shouldn't pick a school solely on a number. The way the schools are ranked is highly subjective. If someone doesn't know much about a program, why would they give the school a high ranking.

If you want to read more about how they rank, here's the link

My brother goes here and I'm about to go here as well!

I am looking to live on the UH campus. (possibly the Lofts??) Message me if you need a roommate as well! (girls)

Accepted !! The wait is finally over. OMG I get to stay in Houston, so excited about the future :cool:

For those receiving the acceptances in the last few days, when did you interview?

I'm going to be so torn between Tech and UH if I am accepted to UH, do any current students have pros/cons that compare each of the schools that were in the same predicament when they applied?

I'm going to be so torn between Tech and UH if I am accepted to UH, do any current students have pros/cons that compare each of the schools that were in the same predicament when they applied?

Please scroll up.

So I'm guessing since I haven't gotten an interview invite or a denial, they are implying that they are passing on me since the last interview date is Saturday?

So I'm guessing since I haven't gotten an interview invite or a denial, they are implying that they are passing on me since the last interview date is Saturday?

that makes two of us. I didnt receive any invites or rejection letters. Dont know whats going on with this school

Bs in Biochem from this school with a 99 composite pcat and I didn't get an invite to interview. What kind of bull**** is this? Texas tech is better anyways.

I was really bummed that I didn't even get an interview but knowing I wasn't the only one helped me realize it's not me and it's definitely their loss. I interviewed with Texas Tech recently and fell in love with the school. If I get the opportunity to go to Tech, I know that I will have a way better experience than going to UH.

that makes two of us. I didnt receive any invites or rejection letters. Dont know whats going on with this school

Yeah it's nice to know they couldn't even give me the time of day to send me a rejection letter.

We are on the same boat.
Good luck

lol, we had a no-show at our interview in Abilene...wonder if that was you.:smuggrin: You missed out on some really good fajitas.:p

Daang they gave u guys fajitas? They gave us BBQ sandwiches!! There were no shows on my Abilene interview date as well.

I need to figure out my PeopleSoft ID...I think I need to call technical support. Anyone else having problems with it?

Does anyone have any idea how many spots are still left? I know they still have acceptances from the march 11th interview and just curious on how many they have left to fill

Does anyone have any idea how many spots are still left? I know they still have acceptances from the march 11th interview and just curious on how many they have left to fill

I heard at the interview a couple weeks ago they told the interviewees that 75% of the seats were filled. This is just what I was told.

Hi everyone! Just wondering if those that interviewed on 2/23 has heard back

Hey guys I know in the interview on March 11th, they said they would let us know in a few weeks but does anyone have an exact date?

Hey guys I know in the interview on March 11th, they said they would let us know in a few weeks but does anyone have an exact date?

They told us 4-6 weeks and I got my acceptance email in 2.5 weeks! So I guess it just depends. :)

I had my interview 3/23. I hope to hear something soon... 2.5 weeks would be nice! :p If not i can wait 4 weeks but ill be going crazy!