University of Houston Pharmacy Anyone???

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pharm boy

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I am 19 years old and i am currently persuing my education in Pharmacy. I am wokring on my pre-pharmacy courses. I just found out about this Forum today and i really love reading everyones input. Is there anyone here that goes to University of Houston or has Graduated at University of Houston Pharmacy?

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

pharm boy said:
Hello everyone,

I am 19 years old and i am currently persuing my education in Pharmacy. I am wokring on my pre-pharmacy courses. I just found out about this Forum today and i really love reading everyones input. Is there anyone here that goes to University of Houston or has Graduated at University of Houston Pharmacy?

Thanks

It's never too young to prepare for pharmacy! This is actually a great time to ask questions. I wish I knew how to better plan my schedule when I was 19! Hmm...to answer your question, I don't live in Texas, but my bf (from Texas) recommends going to UT instead, just because the pharmacy curriculum in Houston isn't as strong, and plus, their pharmacy retention rate at Houston is also low. This is just what I heard. But I think pharmacy is really how you make it. It really depends on where you'd think you benefit/excel the most at. What works for one person may not work for someone else. You can make it easy as you want (learn nothing), or you can make it as challenging as you want.

I am currently a first year at the university of houston. if you have any questions, gimme a holla.

Members don't see this ad :)
It's never too young to prepare for pharmacy! This is actually a great time to ask questions. I wish I knew how to better plan my schedule when I was 19! Hmm...to answer your question, I don't live in Texas, but my bf (from Texas) recommends going to UT instead, just because the pharmacy curriculum in Houston isn't as strong, and plus, their pharmacy retention rate at Houston is also low. This is just what I heard. But I think pharmacy is really how you make it. It really depends on where you'd think you benefit/excel the most at. What works for one person may not work for someone else. You can make it easy as you want (learn nothing), or you can make it as challenging as you want.

UH has a higher pass rate on the NAPLEX and 100% of students have a job waiting for them before they graduate. Plus Houston has the best and most advanced medical center in the country. Most likely, if you graduate from any Texas school and you plan on staying in Texas, you will either get a job at a local pharmacy/hospital or move down to Houston or Dallas for a job. Our program is pretty darn strong and it is definitely the hardest thing I have experienced but it's well worth it. The professors ROCK and they ALL have a sense of humor. Classes are tough but they really make it fun!!

EDIT: I'm an idiot... didn't realize this message was written in 05

Last edited:
I'm a freshman at UH does anyone have any advise about what I should be doing right now? Or any tips?
thanks

I'm a freshman at UH does anyone have any advise about what I should be doing right now? Or any tips?
thanks

Most definitely mate. Right now, you primarily need to be worried about your GPA. Try to do as well as possible in all of your classes and if you're struggling, get help EARLY!!! Develop good study habits (these will come in VERY handy in pharmacy school).

Also, you want to start getting involved in different organizations, extracurricular activities, and volunteer work. UH likes to see that you were involved in different things and volunteer work is pretty much a must (there is no specific amount of hours you need but just do something you like and stick with it).

Also, get to know you're professors early on. Email them questions or go to their offices during their office hours. If you're nervous or can't really find something to ask them about, ask them a question that you already know the answer to. That's what I used to do!! You just want them to recognize you so that when it's time for you to find a professor (math or science) to write you a letter of recommendation, you have two or three to choose from (all of whom kinda sorta know you). If you don't take the time to get to know your professors or at least visit them a few times, chances are you won't get that great of a recommendation letter (but it's possible).

You can also start getting to know a pharmacist. If you don't work in one or can't find one to work in, just go to a local pharmacy (Krogers, HEB, Randalls, Walgreens, CVS, Target, etc.) and ask the pharmacist if you can come in a few times a month a shadow them for a few hours. If you give the excuse that you're thinking of applying to pharmacy school and just want to see how it is, many of them will agree to let you shadow them.

It may be a bit early to start studying for PCAT being that you're only in your second semester of freshman year but I suppose you can start if you have nothing better to do. I don't know how long you're planning on taking to complete your undegrad or if you're going for a BS or not so I can't really recommend a certain time to start studying. But many ppl take it the October of their Sophmore year when they are in the middle of taking Organic I. But it's really up to you.

So in summary, I recommend you do the following in the order I have listed:

1. Get the BEST grades possible. The most difficult task a student could ever face in college is bringing up a low GPA.
2. Join Organizations, Extracurriculars, and Volunteer Activities
3. Get to know your profs (math and science preferably)
4. Get to know a pharmacist (s)
5. Study For PCAT

I may have forgotten something but I'm not quite sure. If you have any more questions, don't hesitate to ask. Take care and good luck!!

Thanks for your VERY detailed response Achilleus. Do you go to UH or used to go to UH? What did you mean by BS? I was planning on going into the pharmacy program after my second year. On the "schedule plan" they give you at the advising office it says to take the PCAT in the summer after your freshman year and then again in october of your sophmore year. What would you recommend? I want to take the PCAT in June so I can get a feel for it and again in August and October to try getting a better score.

Last edited:
I would like to revive this Thread! I was recently accepted to UH and I have a good chance of going there. Who else is with me?!?

I would like to revive this Thread! I was recently accepted to UH and I have a good chance of going there. Who else is with me?!?

I have been accepted to UHCOP for fall 2009 will be going there. Can't wait!