University of Incarnate Word (UIW) M.B.S. (Texas) 2016-2017

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TexasMedic15

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Thread for all of the students who are thinking of applying to the BRAND NEW Masters in Biomedical Sciences Program at the University of Incarnate Word for the 2016-2017 school year. If you get accepted, you will be part of the very first class.

http://uiw.edu/mbs/

There are already plans for a D.O. school being built on their campus. They are expecting to accept applications in the upcoming 2016 cycle for students to matriculate in 2017. If their plans follow through, they'll be the second D.O. school in Texas.

http://www.uiw.edu/som/

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
Has anyone been to one of the UIW MBS informational sessions yet? Any info available on the new Biomedical Sciences program that is not on the UIW site?

TCU in Ft. Worth is also planning to open a MD medical as well.

Members don't see this ad :)
has anyone who applied to the program heard anything yet?

I am waiting to hear back hopefully next week. At the info session they said they were sending out acceptances on May 1st. UIW is really a GREAT school. The professors actually really care about the students and want them to be successful.

Please update if anybody has received acceptance.

I am waiting to hear back hopefully next week. At the info session they said they were sending out acceptances on May 1st. UIW is really a GREAT school. The professors actually really care about the students and want them to be successful.

Please update if anybody has received acceptance.

Hi! Did you interview? I'm hoping to hear back next week too! Good luck !

I got a call from Andrea today and got accepted. Hopefully you will hear back soon too!

I met with Andrea like the first week the program was posted on the site and idk if that is considered an interview. At the info session they said post application interview are contingent. Did you interview?

CONGRATS, Hopefully I hear back next week and will probably be in the same class.

I got accepted too last week and committed this morning
Awesome! Glad to hear from a future classmates. Do you know if there is a Facebook group or something for admitted students yet?

Awesome! Glad to hear from a future classmates. Do you know if there is a Facebook group or something for admitted students yet?
I haven't heard of or seen anything, I looked on FB just now and couldn't find anything

I haven't heard of or seen anything, I looked on FB just now and couldn't find anything
I hope there is a Facebook group or something to meet other classmates. I'm from out of town so I will need to look for a place in SA with a roommate.

Sorry for the late reply, but where are you moving from? San Antonio is pretty big so there seem to be lots of apartments.

Members don't see this ad :)
Got accepted & committed this afternoon.

I got accepted here too! Can anyone tell me why they chose to go this program?? I don't know that much about it and I have been accepted to several other programs like this one and I'm having a tough time choosing which one to go to!!

I got accepted here too! Can anyone tell me why they chose to go this program?? I don't know that much about it and I have been accepted to several other programs like this one and I'm having a tough time choosing which one to go to!!

I choose this program because I did my undergrad at UIW and I love the educational system they have in place. The professors really care and want the students to succeed. For me it was a no brainer b/c one of my undergrad professors is going to be teaching some of the MBS classes and she is one of the most amazing people I have ever met. She gave me and a lot of other students great advise/guidance to become a competitive med school applicant.

Good luck on your choice.

Reactions: 1 user

I got accepted to other programs and I am declining my seats. I committed and paid my deposit about 2 weeks ago. UIW was my top choice because of the smaller class sizes so I think I will be more successful and more visible to the faculty compare to programs with 100+ students. I just graduated from undergrad from UT Austin so I am over the large class sizes.
I am also interested in their new DO program and there is a possibility of a direct admit so I'm willing to take the chance.
I'll be moving from Houston and am looking for a female roommate to live at an apartment near the school so if anyone needs a roommate please direct message me!
Congratulations everyone! Excited to you guys soon

Reactions: 1 users

I got accepted to other programs and I am declining my seats. I committed and paid my deposit about 2 weeks ago. UIW was my top choice because of the smaller class sizes so I think I will be more successful and more visible to the faculty compare to programs with 100+ students. I just graduated from undergrad from UT Austin so I am over the large class sizes.
I am also interested in their new DO program and there is a possibility of a direct admit so I'm willing to take the chance.
I'll be moving from Houston and am looking for a female roommate to live at an apartment near the school so if anyone needs a roommate please direct message me!
Congratulations everyone! Excited to you guys soon

I also got accepted to other programs, but was super excited to get an offer from UIW. Confirming tonight! I favored UIW also because of its small class sizes and the program curriculum. It all sounds very exiting! I have a few friends who are currently going to pharmacy school there, and they all love it.Congrats to everyone and see y'all in fall :)

Hey guys, I'm looking for roommate(s). Message me if you're interested

There's a Slack group that was created. I got the invite this morning

How do i find this group? lol

I got an invite from soniawinney in my email. It looks like spam at first before I realized it said UIW MBS Class of 2017. So check your email and spam box

What's the MCAT requirement for this school? Is it too late to apply?

Can someone explain the possibility of the direct admit for this program? like do they give you a guaranteed interview based on if you have a certain gpa?

Yes I would like to know more information about the mcat requirements and if there is a guaranteed interview..

Hi, do you guys know if this program accepts international students?

To those accepted, could you share/PM stats? I would love to apply next cycle early!
Non-traditional, second careerist, BA History, white male
cumulative undergrad GPA 3.5
cumulative science GPA (post-undergrad) 3.8
all med school prereqs were done through CC's with strong grades

MCAT 505 on 4/16 // 508 on 1/17
GRE was good, don't remember it rn (I was a pre-PA)
1 year full-time work experience as an EMT (~1700 hours)
9 months part-time experience as a medical scribe in a PCP geriatrics clinic (400 hours or so)
maybe 75 hours shadowing
about 150 hours volunteering
no research experience, no publications

Non-traditional, second careerist, BA History, white male
cumulative undergrad GPA 3.5
cumulative science GPA (post-undergrad) 3.8
all med school prereqs were done through CC's with strong grades

MCAT 505 on 4/16 // 508 on 1/17
GRE was good, don't remember it rn (I was a pre-PA)
1 year full-time work experience as an EMT (~1700 hours)
9 months part-time experience as a medical scribe in a PCP geriatrics clinic (400 hours or so)
maybe 75 hours shadowing
about 150 hours volunteering
no research experience, no publications

What would u say is ur current review of the program? Pros and Cons?

I'm interested in applying here, but my stats aren't great, especially my MCAT.

Can anyone in the program tell me how it is? Is MCAT prep provided?

Hello!

Are the interviews for this program done in person or informally (via phone or skype)?

Thank you!

Hello!

Are the interviews for this program done in person or informally (via phone or skype)?

Thank you!

When I interviewed we had both options of in person and skype if you cannot come into San Antonio.

Ah ok. That's great. Are you planning on doing this program as well? It seems like a great back door entrance to the medical school.

I've been in the program and been admitted to the DO program as well.
The MBS program is a great opportunity to boost your competitiveness for their DO program as well as other health professions. Some of our classmates who are not pre-med have already been admitted to their respective programs. However it is not a backdoor into UIW DO program. You're not guaranteed admission only an interview. We had to go through the same application process as everyone else. Some of our classmates were waitlisted or rejected so keep that in mind. In all honesty the MBS program is a year long interview for the DO program. It's also a very expensive investment. The cost is approximately $60,000.
I've gain so much from the this program not only academically but personally as well. The faculty and staff invest heavily on the student success. The professors are wonderful and approachable. Since we were the first class there was a lot of kinks to work out but I'm sure things will be more smooth for the following cohorts.

If I were to give any applicants advice though is to not focus on your stats. The application is holistic. The program is very tough and demanding therefore be able to prove in your application that you can overcome challenges and show authenticity as well as how you can contribute to the mission of UIW.

Best of luck!

Reactions: 3 users
Thank you for your insight!

Will the classes be at the new Brooks City campus or the UIW campus, or a combination of both campuses? I've visited the Brooks City campus in October, and it was still under construction.

Also, can you elaborate on the required MCAT score needed to be accepted into the DO program after successful completion of the MBS program? Does UIWSOM want you to have a 500+ with at least a 125 on each section, etc.?

Thank you!

Thank you for your insight!

Will the classes be at the new Brooks City campus or the UIW campus, or a combination of both campuses? I've visited the Brooks City campus in October, and it was still under construction.

Also, can you elaborate on the required MCAT score needed to be accepted into the DO program after successful completion of the MBS program? Does UIWSOM want you to have a 500+ with at least a 125 on each section, etc.?

Thank you!
From what the information sessions were saying it'll be solely at Brooks City because the new buildings will be done by the fall to get started for their med school.

Hey guys, I'm interested in this program and wanted to know what you guys think my chance of getting into this program is. cGPA: 3.40, sGPA: 3.10, MCAT: 496 (I know on practice tests I had such a higher score, but my nerves were going crazy the day of the test).

Hey guys, I'm interested in this program and wanted to know what you guys think my chance of getting into this program is. cGPA: 3.40, sGPA: 3.10, MCAT: 496 (I know on practice tests I had such a higher score, but my nerves were going crazy the day of the test).

You're stats are slightly better then mine and I got in. So you should be fine