University of Iowa c/o 2014!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Yay!!!!!
I'm really surprised - my interview must have went a lot better than I thought it did

I interviewed on Feb 27 in the morning group

Are you planning on actually going to Iowa? I recall that you had applied to several other places as well.

Members don't see this ad.

Are you planning on actually going to Iowa? I recall that you had applied to several other places as well.
I haven't heard back from everyone yet and my current status includes a few waitlists. But as of right now, yes, I am planning to attend Iowa. That could change depending on how the wait list for my state school goes but right now I am planning to Iowa.

Members don't see this ad :)
I can't wait any longer! I still have not heard anything from Iowa.....I interviewed on the 27th. I was informed that ppl are still being reviewed. My interview went REALLY well. I am afraid that my PCAT score is the only thing really dragging me down. Have any of you received denials or been WL yet? I just want to hear SOMETHING!!!

I can't wait any longer! I still have not heard anything from Iowa.....I interviewed on the 27th. I was informed that ppl are still being reviewed. My interview went REALLY well. I am afraid that my PCAT score is the only thing really dragging me down. Have any of you received denials or been WL yet? I just want to hear SOMETHING!!!

I'm sailing in the same boat as yours. I interviewed on 27th as well (morning session) and have not received a denial or WL yet. I'm also tired of waiting and wonder if I can know it now I can plan my further move:(

Did someone make FB group yet? I want to see the hot chix in your class LOL

me too!!! i interviewed on the 6th and have heard nothing!!

Last year people heard final results around April 28.
When they said the end of April they weren't kidding. So it should be coming soon. If the first few days of May come and go without hearing anything from them, then I'd call.

me too!!! i interviewed on the 6th and have heard nothing!!

Yeah, I interviewed on the 6th as well and I have not heard anything. I work at the University of Iowa Hospital and some applicants from previous years told me that the admissions committee basically stockpiles all the waitlisted and rejected candidates and just sends them all a notification at the same time at the very end of April. However, I'm not sure if they stockpile most of their acceptances in the same fashion or if they have already sent acceptance letters to the vast majority of the accepted class week-by-week as they have been doing. I can't really say since I don't know how many people have received an acceptance letter so far (and how many of those people have already declined the acceptance). Needless to say, with each passing week the possibility increases that they have already reviewed your file and have already put you in the probably rejected or waitlisted pile.

Yeah, I interviewed on the 6th as well and I have not heard anything. I work at the University of Iowa Hospital and some applicants from previous years told me that the admissions committee basically stockpiles all the waitlisted and rejected candidates and just sends them all a notification at the same time at the very end of April. However, I'm not sure if they stockpile most of their acceptances in the same fashion or if they have already sent acceptance letters to the vast majority of the accepted class week-by-week as they have been doing. I can't really say since I don't know how many people have received an acceptance letter so far (and how many of those people have already declined the acceptance). Needless to say, with each passing week the possibility increases that they have already reviewed your file and have already put you in the probably rejected or waitlisted pile.
i know someone on here posted that they already received a rejection letter in the mail...possibly a month ago?? however, i can see them stockpiling waitlisted apps..

Anyone know how many ppl they place on the WL each year? I believe the Dean mentioned that nearly everyone from the WL was offered admission last year....so that is promising as well! I am staying positive :):xf:

Anyone know how many ppl they place on the WL each year? I believe the Dean mentioned that nearly everyone from the WL was offered admission last year....so that is promising as well! I am staying positive :):xf:

im not sure but i remember him saying that they hate to waitlist people...i am trying to stay positive too:cool:

Members don't see this ad :)

They take as many as they need. They've got 108 slots to fill. The Dean mentioned years where they've taken no one from the WL and years where they took the entire WL. Recently, I believe they have been taking a healthy chunk of the WL.

Also trying to stay positive here. I interviewed in the afternoon on the 27th and was one of the last in that group (3:00 or 3:30). Makes sense that they wouldn't tell me about getting in until the last week, right? Right!?

They take as many as they need. They've got 108 slots to fill. The Dean mentioned years where they've taken no one from the WL and years where they took the entire WL. Recently, I believe they have been taking a healthy chunk of the WL.

Also trying to stay positive here. I interviewed in the afternoon on the 27th and was one of the last in that group (3:00 or 3:30). Makes sense that they wouldn't tell me about getting in until the last week, right? Right!?

i would hope that if they rejected my app they would have let me know then instead of waiting till the end of the month..then i could go on and plan my life...i have a feeling that i will be WL.

i would hope that if they rejected my app they would have let me know then instead of waiting till the end of the month..then i could go on and plan my life...i have a feeling that i will be WL.

I agree, I want to know either way as soon as possible. Waiting for two months about something that decides what I do for the next four years really sucks.

I agree that this wait has taken forever!

I know, personally, I have been waiting on making a decision on another school due to waiting for Iowa. I've been having to pay money to hold the seat this whole time, but what are you gonna do?

Bah. At least we will know soon!

I interviewed on the 27th and got an acceptance email last Tuesday. Gluck to yall

I just got the e-mail and will be in the class of 2014! I am ecstatic :)

I just checked my email and I was accepted into the College of Pharmacy. I thought it was weird first because there was no subject heading in the email. Oh well, time for decisions on which school I will be heading too.

congrats to all potential hawkeye classmates

i am now debating between USC and UI and can't make up my mind. Any1 receive one of those merit scholarships ($10k) and have trouble maintaining a 3.5 GPA in pharm school? Also, I am interested in who our class of '14 classmates are. Are most of you in-state? Hows the nightlife, you guys have any time outside of class to relax? I got a lot more questions, please post with some more info or PM me.

Thanks

I'm from Cali. I would go to Iowa over USC. But thats cause I'm sick of Los Angeles.

congrats to all potential hawkeye classmates

i am now debating between USC and UI and can't make up my mind. Any1 receive one of those merit scholarships ($10k) and have trouble maintaining a 3.5 GPA in pharm school? Also, I am interested in who our class of '14 classmates are. Are most of you in-state? Hows the nightlife, you guys have any time outside of class to relax? I got a lot more questions, please post with some more info or PM me.

Thanks

1. Maintaining a 3.5 is not hard during P1 year. That may or may not change during P2 year, which is the most difficult it seems.

2. In general, most students are in-state (it's a state school so that makes sense). On average, I'd say about 30% or so are out-of-state in any given year.

3. The nightlife here is decent. Downtown IC seems to always be hoppin'. The downside is, other than that, there isn't much here. Chicago is only a few hours away though. Many students make frequent trips there or to Minneapolis or St. Louis. Football season is always fun...lot of school pride here. You will have a good amount of free time to relax and have fun during first year for sure.

Anyone know what the acceptance rate into Iowa's College of Pharmacy is for undergrads who went to University of Iowa?

Anyone know what the acceptance rate into Iowa's College of Pharmacy is for undergrads who went to University of Iowa?

As far as I know...it is the same. They do not give preference. So...about 1/8.

If you feel like crunching numbers or reviewing past data, you can find it here:

http://www.pharmacy.uiowa.edu/about/planasses.htm

Scroll down to Pharm.D. Program and there are data from the past several years about anything and everything related to admissions and statistics.

Any areas of town to stay away from as far as living????????????

I think it really depends on the person. Several people this past year didn't like living on the streets directly bordering the campus because of tailgating during football season and all the noise and chaos (it can get pretty wild).

Personally, I think Coralville is a nicer area than Iowa City but you'll have to decide how far away you want to be since you can't get a parking permit unless you live outside of IC/Coralville city limits. Your choices will be walk/bike/bus for the most part.

I think it really depends on the person. Several people this past year didn't like living on the streets directly bordering the campus because of tailgating during football season and all the noise and chaos (it can get pretty wild).

Personally, I think Coralville is a nicer area than Iowa City but you'll have to decide how far away you want to be since you can't get a parking permit unless you live outside of IC/Coralville city limits. Your choices will be walk/bike/bus for the most part.
So you won't be able to park anywhere on/near campus?

So you won't be able to park anywhere on/near campus?

You can have a car at your apartment or house. Most, if not all, have parking for residents. You just won't be able to park on campus during daytime hours without paying to park in the ramps or parking meters. A lot of students pay for the ramp every once in a while, but not on a daily basis. That would be insane. Many of the lots are free after 4:30pm during the week, though, so that helps for late night studying, meetings, etc.

You can have a car at your apartment or house. Most, if not all, have parking for residents. You just won't be able to park on campus during daytime hours without paying to park in the ramps or parking meters. A lot of students pay for the ramp every once in a while, but not on a daily basis. That would be insane. Many of the lots are free after 4:30pm during the week, though, so that helps for late night studying, meetings, etc.
Oh, ok - I thought you meant you couldn't even pay to park in one of the ramps :laugh:

About paying for ramps - I know for some schools you have to pay a lot for parking passes so I guess I'll just have to man up and pay. How much is it? I'd rather pay than live near all the tailgaters. Don't get me wrong - I love football but there's going to be sometime when I want a little quiet.

are you the girl originally from the bay area and going to school in the LA area?

Oh, ok - I thought you meant you couldn't even pay to park in one of the ramps :laugh:

About paying for ramps - I know for some schools you have to pay a lot for parking passes so I guess I'll just have to man up and pay. How much is it? I'd rather pay than live near all the tailgaters. Don't get me wrong - I love football but there's going to be sometime when I want a little quiet.

As far as I know, there aren't any passes for the ramps. It's just a "take a ticket as you enter, pay as you exit" type of thing. The fieldhouse ramp by the pharmacy building can get pretty pricey (up to $15/day) so I wouldn't recommend using it very often. Most get by just fine with a city bus pass, which is a good price for students ($80/semester). You can still live close to campus, just try to avoid the streets around Kinnick Stadium and Carver Hawkeye Arena.

As far as I know, there aren't any passes for the ramps. It's just a "take a ticket as you enter, pay as you exit" type of thing. The fieldhouse ramp by the pharmacy building can get pretty pricey (up to $15/day) so I wouldn't recommend using it very often. Most get by just fine with a city bus pass, which is a good price for students ($80/semester). You can still live close to campus, just try to avoid the streets around Kinnick Stadium and Carver Hawkeye Arena.
I remember some students say they park at the hawkeye ramp or something.

I remember some students say they park at the hawkeye ramp or something.

They are probably talking about the Hawkeye commuter lot. You can put your name in for one of those permits. I'm not sure how much space they have available, if any, but it doesn't hurt to try. It's pretty far away for parking (many apts and houses are actually closer than that parking lot), but if you live out by the mall in Coralville or something, it could be beneficial for you.

They are probably talking about the Hawkeye commuter lot. You can put your name in for one of those permits. I'm not sure how much space they have available, if any, but it doesn't hurt to try. It's pretty far away for parking (many apts and houses are actually closer than that parking lot), but if you live out by the mall in Coralville or something, it could be beneficial for you.

Yeah, the Hawkeye lot is really far away. You would have to park at the lot and then take a bus from the lot to the pharmacy campus. So it really doesn't make any sense to park there. Really your only option for parking is the Fieldhouse lot which is like $15 per day if you're going to park there for a few hours. So if you were to do that every school day it would cost like $2250 for the year. There is a lot that is free nearby after 4:30 but that's about it. So I would recommend just living nearby and walking to campus or you can live a bit further away and take the free hawk buses (if you live near the bus route) or one of the city buses (which have a small fee).

I also had a quick question about the up to $10K scholarship they have. Do they base that on your undergrad gpa for the first year and then your cumulative pharmacy gpa for years 2-4? Or do they base it on each year's gpa so if you have a 2.0 gpa freshman year but a 3.5 sophomore year will they give you one for your sophomore year? Also, to those who have been awarded one of these scholarships, when they say "based on need" does that mean that if your FAFSA shows you falling short of the cost of attendance by more than $10K they automatically give you $10K?

Just a small update for those still waiting to hear. I e-mailed Iowa to see if they were still on track and this is the reply I got. Also, there's only 26 people registered for classes so far.

The admissions process is still ongoing and will take up to mid-May.

Just a small update for those still waiting to hear. I e-mailed Iowa to see if they were still on track and this is the reply I got. Also, there's only 26 people registered for classes so far.

good to know! i got an email from the dean on saturday telling me i was wait listed...good news to me :)

nah, currently in socal, moving to iowa lol.
Get ready for winter!
I have alot of classmates who park in the ramp daily or use the meters outside of the residence halls and feed them quarters. The meters are cheaper when you only have an hour on campus. When you have a 3 hour chunk of class it's sometimes better to pay $3 to park in the ramp than to have to bus an hour if you live in Coralville or East Iowa City. Most people live close enough to take the cambus or are on a city bus route though. Another thing people do is park in the Dental lot and stay on campus until the gate opens and you don't have to pay to leave. Bus service is not always on time in the winter, so I suggest leaving half an hour earlier than usual when there is new snow or if the roads are bad.
Any areas of town to stay away from as far as living????????????
You absolutely want to stay out of Southeast Iowa City and probably out of the south side near Kmart. The East side has some rentals but they are mostly houses that are not well kept up and the neighborhoods they are in are getting sketchy too. I lived in East IC off of 1st and Muscatine for about 2.5 years and there were a few muggings within a couple blocks of my place and one home invasion right across the alley.

Good areas are on the West side of the river with the exception of downtown, which is east of the river but still decent.

In Coralville there are good areas, but I'd stick to apartments unless you know what street the house is on. Coralville has some very nice neighborhoods and some not so nice neighborhoods. The cheapo apartments right by Coralville Mall are sketchy. Coral Court is nice but there is no bus service so you would need to park and ride at the mall or just drive.

Make sure your place has AC.

If you have a potential location in mind, those of us in town can tell you if it is decent or not.

Get ready for winter!
I have alot of classmates who park in the ramp daily or use the meters outside of the residence halls and feed them quarters. The meters are cheaper when you only have an hour on campus. When you have a 3 hour chunk of class it's sometimes better to pay $3 to park in the ramp than to have to bus an hour if you live in Coralville or East Iowa City. Most people live close enough to take the cambus or are on a city bus route though. Another thing people do is park in the Dental lot and stay on campus until the gate opens and you don't have to pay to leave. Bus service is not always on time in the winter, so I suggest leaving half an hour earlier than usual when there is new snow or if the roads are bad.You absolutely want to stay out of Southeast Iowa City and probably out of the south side near Kmart. The East side has some rentals but they are mostly houses that are not well kept up and the neighborhoods they are in are getting sketchy too. I lived in East IC off of 1st and Muscatine for about 2.5 years and there were a few muggings within a couple blocks of my place and one home invasion right across the alley.

Good areas are on the West side of the river with the exception of downtown, which is east of the river but still decent.

In Coralville there are good areas, but I'd stick to apartments unless you know what street the house is on. Coralville has some very nice neighborhoods and some not so nice neighborhoods. The cheapo apartments right by Coralville Mall are sketchy. Coral Court is nice but there is no bus service so you would need to park and ride at the mall or just drive.

Make sure your place has AC.

If you have a potential location in mind, those of us in town can tell you if it is decent or not.

How is the area around 1958 Broadway St ?

Last edited: