University of Iowa - Why is it #2???

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SoCalAud

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

Just curious about University of Iowa and their Au.D program, does anyone know why we should apply there besides it being #2 in the nation? Are the faculty members truly supportive and dedicated to the Au.D students there? I would love to hear a lot about their program, especially the PROS and cons.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I know this is an old post and I don't know if you're still wanting information, but UIowa is my first choice right now. Their program seems to be heavily research-oriented (which I love, because my goal is AuD/PhD). They have an integrated AuD/PhD program but also both separately. EVERYONE I spoke with while I was visiting was doing some sort of research in something (even the clinic director), which made me happy.

I called the department office to see about scheduling a visit, and Dr. Turner actually answered the phone. Neither of us know how that happened, but instead of saying, "I can't help you, call back when the secretary is in," he went ahead and set up meetings for me. I was very impressed.

The town is great (~60,000 people but a bustling downtown with lots of culture) and they seem to have their priorities in order when it comes to public transportation. It's only a couple hours from Cedar Rapids and I think four from Chicago so if you're an urban person, you're not totally isolated.

The cons: It's very selective. Dr. Turner told me they get approximately 40+ applications per year and they only have 8 spots. Their two most-accurate predictions of success are grades and GRE scores (minimum 500; average 550V, 650Q, 4.0 AWA). They also can't predict if or how much assistance money they'll have, so an assistanceship and/or scholarship is not guaranteed, even if you get in. Their curriculum also seems to be fairly strenuous. You really have to be a dedicated (or masochistic) student to throw yourself into a program like UIowa's. I'm probably both.

If you'd like to hear more, I suggest talking to Dr.s Christopher Turner or Carolyn Brown. They were both very helpful to me. But brevity is paramount; they're very busy!

Hope I helped at least a tiny bit. I'm in the same position; I want to hear as much as I can about the program.

The town is great (~60,000 people but a bustling downtown with lots of culture) and they seem to have their priorities in order when it comes to public transportation. It's only a couple hours from Cedar Rapids and I think four from Chicago so if you're an urban person, you're not totally isolated.

-~1.5+-2hrs from Des Moines (depending on how fast you're driving)
-20 minutes from Cedar Rapids (an aside: E Iowa Airport isn't always bad to fly out of as far as $). I'm surprised at the concerts that come through that town (good stuff)
-A little over an hour from a really good airport to fly from (Moline/Quad Cities)
-~3.5+-4 hrs from St. Louis
-~3.5+-4 hrs from Chicago

Agree: it's a great small city.

Members don't see this ad :)
-~1.5+-2hrs from Des Moines (depending on how fast you're driving)
-20 minutes from Cedar Rapids (an aside: E Iowa Airport isn't always bad to fly out of as far as $). I'm surprised at the concerts that come through that town (good stuff)

Oops! How embarrassing. :oops: I meant Des Moines, not Cedar Rapids. I'm from Idaho; midwestern geography is not my strong suit!

My dad and I flew into Cedar Rapids airport when I visited and I was very impressed. It's a very nice little airport. My favorite is still the Knoxville airport, though. They have HUGE windows you can sit in front of while you wait for your plane. Beautiful.

J-Rad, the Flyers are kicking some serious ass right now! 6 to nothing shut down the other night coming off an epic Bruins thrashing, love it!

The cons: It's very selective. Dr. Turner told me they get approximately 40+ applications per year and they only have 8 spots. Their two most-accurate predictions of success are grades and GRE scores (minimum 500; average 550V, 650Q, 4.0 AWA).

I'm interested in Iowa as well, but I do not meet their academic averages. An essay is not required for admission, but I thought I might submit one. Do you have any idea if doing so would help or hurt my case at all?

I've never read that an essay is not required. Where did you get that information? Unless it changed since last year, an essay is required.

Either way, an essay will only help you. My GPA was not on par, although my GRE scores were great. I believe that my essay is what tipped the scales in my favor, because it gave me a chance to show how passionate I am. Ultimately, the admissions committee chooses the 8 people whom they feel will be most successful in their program. If you're interested and think it would be a good fit, don't hesitate to apply! I thought I had a snowball's chance in hell, and instead ended up with an assistantship. :)

Thanks for the info! I don't know why I thought an essay wasn't required, I must have misunderstood something somwhere. And 2 days before the deadline, I was getting nervous about it all... Anyway, I submitted my essay written specifically for Iowa in my application. I'm excited about the possibility of going to Iowa (never thought I would say that in my life), but I realize that 8 people isn't very many at all, and I know Iowa can choose the cream of the crop. Neither my GPA nor my GRE are stellar but my passion is prominant. I just hope my application gets placed in the pile of applications to be considered, and from there I think my essay and interview can only work in my favor!

Best of luck to you in your journey! If they want you for an interview, I HIGHLY recommend making the trip!

rEliseMe, I've done my research and visited a few schools, attended the ASHA convention and talked with faculty and students from all over the country. Since I know you did the same before you applied to grad schools, I would like to hear what you have to say about programs that you feel are comparable to UIowa. I'm trying not to put all my eggs in the Iowa basket, but I really do want the grad school experience that I believe they offer. I'm looking for a supportive and passionate environment that grooms it's students to be leaders in the field. I've heard that all audiology programs give us the same education, but I know that is simply not true, and every program is not going to give us the same quality of experience and education. Given your research for grad schools, I'm curious what other schools you might recommend...

Actually, I only visited two schools. When it came down to 'decision-time' on the flights and applications, I realized that my heart would not be in it if I went to any other program, so I did what I'd been encouraged not to: I put all my eggs in the Iowa basket. (Caveat: I did have Idaho State University as a back-up school.)

Because of that, I can't really comment on any other programs beyond what I've read online and heard from other people. I was impressed by UT-Dallas and told by my undergraduate faculty that they have a good research-strong program there. They also have AuD/PhD, like Iowa. I know University of Washington has a strong research program, but I've also heard it bemoaned because of that (like that the faculty don't have time for the students because they're so focused on their research)... I'm not sure if it's true or not, because as we've seen here on this forum, the people who report are more often upset than happy.

To address your other concern: You're right, not all programs will offer the same opportunities. The bigger programs and those with connections will certainly be able to put you in more advantageous positions, but to a certain extent your program is what you make of it. If you put lots of effort and commitment in, you'll get so much more no matter where you are. Keep that in mind, but it's good that you have a very clear picture of what you want in a program. Mention that in your interview. It's impressive. :)

Best of luck to you in your journey! If they want you for an interview, I HIGHLY recommend making the trip!

Do they ask all applicants for an interview, or only ones they are strongly considering?

Do they ask all applicants for an interview, or only ones they are strongly considering?
I know this is too late for you, but for anyone else who wants to know: Only the ones they are considering.