University of Kentucky Cardiovascular Fellowship

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

LBFKCC

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anyone else have any pros and cons on this program.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Pros: academic medical center, seems to have nice new facilities, near some good outdoor stuff (if you like the outdoors), kind of a pretty area of the country, seems to have decent patient population to work with, and they do heart transplants
Cons: seems to have frequent turnover of program leadership, I got a bit of a weird vibe when I interviewed there a couple years ago (they put on a great interview but I wasn't sure everything they were selling was the real deal), perhaps long hours such as being up on call all night in house doing stuff and then there all day the next day as well (so 30-36 hrs, etc.). Not sure how "academic" the place way.

These impression are all as of a couple of years ago

Anyone else have any pros and cons on this program. These are impressions I have gotten so far from others.

Pros:
Diverse patient population
Procedure Oriented

Cons:
In-house call
New Chief (not so friendly)
Incompetent residents/interns
80+ hour weeks (CCU and Consult service can be overwhelming)
Research opportunities

Many upcoming changes at UK. Dr. Steinhubl is working to change around the program and improve fellow training at all levels.

Not sure how accurate any of this is given that the person you mention hasn't been there for years

http://www.theheart.org/article/837945.do