I'm a little upset that everyone has been so negative towards the school. I knew coming into the school it was going to be a bit of a struggle getting back to Canada, but I made an educated decision to come to UL. And I have no regrets. I love it over here; from the people to the Irish culture, there is so much to be gained from this experience abroad...especially as a Canadian. Europe is very different than Canada an I quite like that.
I know it is concerning to everyone, me included, that the program may change. I do not believe the school is out to sabotage the non-EU students. I think there was a miscommunication(timing being a major issue) and now there is a lot of backfire from the students. I know it is concerning, being a potential newcomer to UL and hearing about all these proposed changes...but do know that they have not been fully put through. There was a meeting today about it and tomorrow is the final vote. The staff are trying to alter the program to accomodate the feedback from previous Canadian/American UL graduates to help future non-EU student get residencies and elective back home. I know this may not be the ideal situation for all electives and it will limit you to some school for specific specialties, but keep in mind...UL in NOT a bad school. I am upset to hear people declining offers due to this issue. Either way, if you do plan your electives strategically and are willing to put in the effort, I do believe there will be no major issues. There may be a few more 'bumps in the road' but I do hope you understand that the views expressed on this forum are of a select few students. Not all of us believe the school is out to get us.
This school is great and I can't elaborate enough about how much I have come to love Ireland. Consider your options and weigh them to what you think suits you best, but again, make the decision for yourself and don't be persuaded to give up the lifelong goal of being a doctor because of this. It would be a shame to hear about students declining offers to what I think... is a spectacular medical program. The final decision is supposed to be decided tomorrow, so we will keep you posted.