University of Limerick???

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lfindlay

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just wondering if anyone has any thoughts on the GEP at the University of Limerick??
I've been invited for an interview on May17/18 in Toronto but im from Vancouver, so im still deciding on whether or not it is worth the expense... especially since I already have an acceptance to SGU in Grenada...

Any info/thoughts/opinions would be greatly appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

Same ball of wax. Caribbean versus Ireland...What can I say? Limerick's is a brand new program but in a country with medical education that dates back hundreds of years. (Irish education with all the pros and cons already well-explored on this forum). Limerick will follow the same national curriculum as the other Irish schools (and will be following UCC, UCD, TCD, RCSI specifically) so it won't be a big risk that way. Growing pains certainly but no really fundamental issues. No one in NAmerica will make any distinction between Limerick and any other Irish school, despite how "new" it is. Carib schools are what they are and, imho, a much bigger risk overall for a Canadian (unless determined only to consider US residency)... and even then...

Just to add to what Unch said, the consultants in Limerick like teaching and are very friendly. The rest of the hospital staff are also excellent, very welcoming and helpful, and because it is a small centre there is a greater mix of Irish and non-Irish doctors. From my limited experience of the city it would be a great place to live-much less expensive than either Dublin or Cork-and the regional hospital, although small, is mostly new and well equipped. I think it would be worth considering it, as the Irish training system has a better reputation in Canada than the Carribean. Not an easy decision to make-no hurricanes in Limerick though, although the climate is probably not as nice overall:laugh:. Good luck,
M

Members don't see this ad :)
I am interviewing for Limerick in May.

I also interviewed for Canada and for Australia. So Limerick may have some competition. Canada is a no brainier, but I am starting to prefer Australia to Ireland. What are peoples opinion on this comparison? Obviously there will be an Irish bias on this forum, nevertheless I am curious to see what people think.

I did some of my residency training in Limerick, and thought that it was a great city to live in. The hospital is modern and well equipped with good consultants.

Alright, i hate to be a wet blanket but there some things anyone applying to Limmerick should be aware of.

My biases: I'm an RCSI GEP student
My experiences with the programme: anecdotal based on conversations with students at Limmerick during a recent visit to Limerick.

-Limerick is a brand new medical school (inaugural class of 2012), not just a new programme
-Limerick is almost exclusively focused on producing GPs
-Limerick has very limited practical exposure (possibly only in the final year)
-the one foreign student in the first year is leaving the programme last i heard

Before accepting a place, ask to speak to a current student about it.