University of Louisville School of Medicine Class of 2013

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
We have received the electronic results of your 2009-2010 Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA), but your financial aid file is incomplete at this time. We must collect additional documentation from you.

No one else got it?

I got an e-mail confirming that they received my FAFSA when I completed it a few months ago, but I never got one stating they needed more info. I think maybe you forgot to include something?

Members don't see this ad.

I guess I'll find out when they send me the papers, when I clicked around somewhere they said they would. I don't think I forgot to fill anything out on the Fafsa, b/c the fafsa didn't have any problems being verified. I'm not worried about this.

I guess I'll find out when they send me the papers, when I clicked around somewhere they said they would. I don't think I forgot to fill anything out on the Fafsa, b/c the fafsa didn't have any problems being verified. I'm not worried about this.

Good plan. ULink has a "what am I missing?" (or something) link on there for financial aid stuff. You might try to see if there's something listed there.

So....getting excited yet?

Members don't see this ad :)
Oops. It's actually called "My to do list."

I'm ready for graduation, lol, It's so close yet so far away. One of my emails directed me there, they're going to "send it" we'll see though.

Last edited:
I am from the Lexington area and I have been told by everyone to go to UK. However, I really want to go to UofL. Does anyone have a convincing argument to choose UofL over UK?

I'm from Lexington as well, and I'm sure I heard many of the same arguments. The main one I was told to go to UK was because of their scheduling system and short class day. I felt that the class at UofL was much more cohesive than what I saw at UK, I can't explain why it was just a feeling that I had. I also felt much more welcome at Louisville, again that was just a feeling. I also feel that the schedule at Louisville fits more in with my learning method, I don't think I would remember as much from a class I had for a month as I would from a class I had for several months. I also like that at Louisville there is a longer summer break. I have a friend going to a school with a similar schedule to UK, and she seemed burnt out completely at Christmas, completely different school though, but they also use the organ based system.

I hope that helps, if you read back through this thread some current first years have also posted about their experiences.

I too am from Lexington and have my fair share of experience with UK. I'm choosing UofL for several reasons, one of which being the city. Louisville just has a much more alive social scene for people our age and much cooler places to live. The downtown area is great, Bardstown Road has all the great bars you care to stumble to, and the waterfront parks are phenominal. Plus the bus system blows Lexington's out of the water. I was sick of living in Lexington and not having as many options, and I'm glad I live in Louisville now. I won't have a lot of free time during med school, but I want to use what little time I have wisely.

I also like the school atmosphere. The classrooms aren't as nice or new as UKs since UK just built theirs last year, but the classroom years don't really concern me much. You're going to have your nose in a book regardless, so what does it matter if the desks are old? The clinical experience is what entices me. There are several hospitals within spitting distance of the med school, including a great private hosptial (Norton) which has some really cool technology. The brand new outpatient building is also really nice and I'm hoping to get to do some stuff there. It's true that UK is building a new hospital right now, but only phase 1 would be finished in time for me to enjoy it. It will be swank when it's all done, but that's a little ahead of me. Maybe I'll revisit this when I'm doing searches for residency...

Like Keona said, UofL has more of a true summer break between 1st and 2nd years and, to a lesser extent, 2nd and 3rd. I really enjoyed having my time off in college, so I think it will be important to have that time after first year to unwind and take stock. 3 weeks just won't cut it for me.

All that being said, I really don't think you can go wrong with either school. Both will give you an M.D. and get you prepared for residency. Lots of UK grads do residency in Louisville and vice versa, so neither school is a dud. If you pick where you feel the most comfortable, you'll end up just fine.

It's Thunder Over Louisville today guys! I'm really excited!

If you don't know, google it. :thumbup:

Did everyone else get the email about the white coat ceremony? Everything is starting to feel real.

Yeah, I got that too. Really exciting stuff.

Now I just need to figure out what size coat I wear... :cool:

Hey! Does anyone have any information about Phoenix Place Apartments and the safety of the vicinity. It is my top choice based on what I have seen online, but I would really appreciate any other information or opinions that anyone has of the place! Thanks

Members don't see this ad :)
Phoenix Place is pretty nice. Not where I live, but I checked it out last year and it seemed decent. There are at least 8 or so medical students living there from my class. Proximity to school = win!

More importantly, the dental school released a youtube video with a parody of Dr. Ho, fast forward to 7 minutes...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UnXiPjIWHOE

Dr. Ho really is the Edward Scissor Hands of the gross anatomy lab - at any given time, he has 2 or 3 instruments in each hand, all of which he can use simultaneously, and they're really long.

The impersonation is pretty much spot on. His favorite phrases are "...not seen here...not seen here...not seen here....but....HERE!!" and "...facing anteriorly..."

Anyway, good fun to get you pumped up for Gross Anatomy lab in just a few months.

So in 2 days the UofL waitlist rankings come out and in just over a week, everyone has to make their decision. Who's excited about having the class officially locked in soon? :thumbup:

were you getting bored because no one had posted on here in so long? It's getting exciting though, I think there are 5 or 6 people going there from my undergrad that I know of. I'm still wondering about financial aid, though they haven't sent me any more emails, so I guess they figured out whatever it was. I wonder when the class will have everyone in officially at the beginning of summer or at the end.

were you getting bored because no one had posted on here in so long? It's getting exciting though, I think there are 5 or 6 people going there from my undergrad that I know of. I'm still wondering about financial aid, though they haven't sent me any more emails, so I guess they figured out whatever it was. I wonder when the class will have everyone in officially at the beginning of summer or at the end.

Yeah, I was getting a little bored no one was posting. At least this place has more activity than the forum on BlackBoard for the UofL students...

There are several people from my UG at UofL, but I didn't graduate as recently as this year, so I don't necessarily know everyone from my UG going there.

I'm not sure they have the class "officially" locked in until the first day of class. :laugh:

I wonder when we'll start getting more info. Now that undergrad is over, I feel like I'm just sitting around and waiting for things. Anything would have more action than that Blackboard site. Facebook sometimes gets a few posts on it as well.

I wonder when we'll start getting more info. Now that undergrad is over, I feel like I'm just sitting around and waiting for things. Anything would have more action than that Blackboard site. Facebook sometimes gets a few posts on it as well.

I'm sure things will pick up soon. UofL had their graduation for the 4th years this past weekend, and I think the 1st years finish up in the next week or two. Once everyone moves up, I think it will leave a vacuum we can fill. I'm expecting lots of stuff coming my way in June or so.

Anyone done anything about their vaccinations yet? I still need to do mine.

Our last block test of the year was today. Done!!!!!!! How sweet it is!!

Vaccinations aren't a huge hurry. I waited until about 6 weeks ago to get my TB test done (they told me I couldn't do any more clinicals until I did).

I still need the vaccinations done, I got my records the other day and it doesn't have a meningitis one on there, though I am almost positive I had one before college, my mom is way too overprotective to have not insisted on it, yet now she can't remember either, so I think I'm going to have to go talk to someone about it. I need that TB test, and I think tetanus, I just feel too lazy to schedule anything, summer is sapping away any sense of responsibility from me.

I was thinking the vaccinations were big, since I read something where they said we had to have them before we did anatomy, this just makes me less inspired to do them :D

I love SUMMER!!!!!

Congrats to everyone that has been accepted!! Hopefully there will be some movement this month for us waitlist kids!!

For the life of me i can't remember if we have to have private health insurance lined up by matriculation or is it included in tuition? if private, does anyone have any recommendations?

You are required to take the university health insurance unless you can prove you are covered under another plan.

Here is the quote from the FAQ's

Health Professional Students are automatically enrolled in the Student Health Insurance Plan and premium is charged to your Statement of Account. If you have comparable coverage and wish to waive coverage under the Student Health Insurance Plan, you must submit an online waiver form by visiting www.ahpcare.com/louisville. Fall waiver deadline is September 15, 2008. Spring waiver deadline is February 15, 2009. There are no exceptions.

How Much Does it Cost?
Annual
08/01/08–07/31/09
Student $1,750
Spouse $5,757
Child(ren) $2,738

You are required to take the university health insurance unless you can prove you are covered under another plan.

Here is the quote from the FAQ's

Health Professional Students are automatically enrolled in the Student Health Insurance Plan and premium is charged to your Statement of Account. If you have comparable coverage and wish to waive coverage under the Student Health Insurance Plan, you must submit an online waiver form by visiting www.ahpcare.com/louisville. Fall waiver deadline is September 15, 2008. Spring waiver deadline is February 15, 2009. There are no exceptions.

How Much Does it Cost?
Annual
08/01/08–07/31/09
Student $1,750
Spouse $5,757
Child(ren) $2,738

Yeah, their health insurance for just you is reasonable, but it sucks if you have to get a spouse added on. I mean, $5700? That hurts. Of course, I'm sure they're giving us a good deal since we are going to be doing a lot of work for them come 3rd and 4th year....

Anybody started working on those nifty surveys they posted to BlackBoard yet? I'm finding no motivation to do them just yet...

Thanks for all the great posts. Are you all getting excited yet? I am looking forward to meeting everyone. Loss for words, don't feel bad I havn't started on those surveys yet either.

Last edited by a moderator:
Phoenix Place is pretty nice. Not where I live, but I checked it out last year and it seemed decent. There are at least 8 or so medical students living there from my class. Proximity to school = win!

More importantly, the dental school released a youtube video with a parody of Dr. Ho, fast forward to 7 minutes...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UnXiPjIWHOE

Dr. Ho really is the Edward Scissor Hands of the gross anatomy lab - at any given time, he has 2 or 3 instruments in each hand, all of which he can use simultaneously, and they're really long.

The impersonation is pretty much spot on. His favorite phrases are "...not seen here...not seen here...not seen here....but....HERE!!" and "...facing anteriorly..."

Anyway, good fun to get you pumped up for Gross Anatomy lab in just a few months.

This is a must watch for the incoming first years. How I will miss Dr. Ho! You'll def want to go to his lectures for the comic relief.

Hey guys and gals,

I'm a rising MS4 (only one shelf exam left!) and I thought I would make myself available to field questions regarding the hospitals we rotate through, questions about the clerkships in the third and fourth year and will attempt to answer anything else as well. It seems like you all have a really great primer on the first year from some other members already. I feel that one of UofL's biggest strengths are the amazing faculty and resources we have access to during our clinical years. I loved every second of this year and would like to impart as much enthusiasm as I can to you guys; you will have a great time here.

Hey guys and gals,

I'm a rising MS4 (only one shelf exam left!) and I thought I would make myself available to field questions regarding the hospitals we rotate through, questions about the clerkships in the third and fourth year and will attempt to answer anything else as well. It seems like you all have a really great primer on the first year from some other members already. I feel that one of UofL's biggest strengths are the amazing faculty and resources we have access to during our clinical years. I loved every second of this year and would like to impart as much enthusiasm as I can to you guys; you will have a great time here.

How does being on call work? Are you only on call for a particular service when the attending is on call? Do you have to be at the hospital during call or does it depend on the rotation?

How does being on call work? Are you only on call for a particular service when the attending is on call? Do you have to be at the hospital during call or does it depend on the rotation?

Being on call usually depends on the call schedule your particular team of residents has, or split amongst the medical students on the team if a different resident from your team is on call every night for a given service. While most clerkships have some sort of call (meaning days where you're staying late-ish and admitting patients), I believe only medicine and surgery has "required" overnight call, with both of those services having 4 days a month off not including post-call days. Whether you actually end up staying is almost entirely dependent on your resident team, with the upper level resident or the intern on call usually making that decision. It could be anything from having to stay overnight each night you're on call to being dismissed as soon as the team finishes their post-rounding things-to-do. At home call is pretty uncommon and definitely not a scheduled part of any rotation, but it does happen occasionally. For instance, on surgery at the VA the resident let me go home with the understanding that it's ~5 mins from my apartment so I could show up quickly if I had to. (ie an attending shows up to round or check on things in the evening so it at least gives the impression that you're taking call).

And generally, after having overnight call you're usually dismissed after the following morning's rounding and get the rest of the day off (the post-call day). If you have any particular questions about specific clerkships or clerkship sites I could probably answer those questions as well.

So....what glove size is everyone?

I'm a medium. :cool:

Hey everyone - I thought I'd start giving you a heads up as to what to expect the first few weeks of school. Hopefully this will make the transition easier and prepare you a little better. I'll update this as I think of anything new (and as I have time), and let me know if you have any questions.

First of all - books and supplies. This will be a large expense the first semester, but the next semester you'll only have a few to buy and you can probably get away with something under $200 - $300.

Gross Anatomy Supplies - you'll need disposable gloves, and old set of clothes, old pair of shoes, and a dissecting kit. There is a bookstore, Gray's, that will send you a packet of information with what I will be posting here, as well as an order form for gloves/scrubs/dissecting kits. I skipped all of that - I picked up gloves and shoes from Costco for $15 each, and had an old pair of scrubs from the hospital. They also recommend a lab coat, but even though the lab is a bit on the cool side, I would pass. The dissecting kits you can buy from the HSC bookstore on Floyd St. or from Gray's. My lab partners and I decided to buy a few sets and just split them. Worked in theory but failed in practice. What ended up happening is that I basically paid an amount equal to a dissector kit to comp my 3 lab mates for the ones they bought, but I didn't have my own.:laugh: Spend the $15 and have your own - you'll pass the supplies around plenty anyway, but at least you'll have enough scalpels.

Also, pick up an extra Netter's or Gray's Anatomy for the lab. That you will want to split with your lab mates and you won't want to bring in your personal edition to the lab as it will get slimy fast.

Other books -

Gross notes will be available within the first week or so of class. This is a set of notes compiled by previous classes, and includes not only the material you will cover (sometimes in more efficient means than the regular text), but also included a CD with many older first year tests (for every class). The tests are not exactly representative of what you'll see on the current tests as the past ones are 5+ years old, but they're good to test yourself and get a general feel for what to expect. Gross Notes is expensive at about $130, but it will be more than worth it.

Also for Gross Anatomy, you'll want either a combination of a Netter's and either Essential Clinical Anatomy (ECA) by Moore, or Clinically Oriented Anatomy (COA) by Moore; ECA is a condensed version of the latter - or you'll want a Grant's Atlas/Anatomy. I used Netter's/COA and I found them to be very good. COA comes with a CD that has clinically oriented test problems, some of which may show up in similar form on the tests. In addition to these, you will have to purchase a Dissector Manual from the copy center in the Dental School written by the course director, Nettleton. It is an unbound set of notes to guide you through the lab (also one you'll want to purchase with your lab mates for an extra). Although made specifically for the lab, don't underestimate its worth for the class as it has a number of good guidelines for learning various pieces (such as lymphatic drainage and Autonomic Nervous systems).

For Embryo, the official book was Developing Human by Moore (I guess the guy does a lot of books?), which was decent. There is also a supplement in Gross Notes in similar format for what was present for Gross Anatomy. Past years' classes used Langman's Medical Embryology. I also purchased this, and it had some good info, but overall I found it lacking compared to Developing Human.

Histology - the class book was Histology: A Text and Atlas by Ross. This book was also good, and had a bit of cellular biology/physiology which I've occasionally referenced this semester. In addition, you will have to pick up a lab manual, also in the copy center.

Neuro - you will need Neuroanatomy by Sidman & Sidman and Human Brain in Dissection by Montemurro. There will be a similar set of notes to purchase from the copy center.

All of these are in addition to the notes you will have to print out for each day's lectures.

Also, you'll have two additional classes - Intro to Clinical Medicine (ICM), and Interdiscipinary Clinical Cases (or something along those lines, ICC at any rate). ICC requires a small set of case notes you can purhase from the copy center. ICM requires lecture notes you'll print off, and they recommend Bate's Guide to Physical Examination. The latter is probably of limited use to you right now, and many people skip it. I picked it up, and found it has a good deal of informtion for performing the basic physical exams you'll be doing our first year. I have heard it comes into use to a greater degree when you're actually on your clerkships later. We'll see.

Those are your basic books required for your first semester's class. I'll add any if I can think of them.

The classes you'll start off with are going to be Histology and Gross Anatomy (ICC and ICM are all year long, but they aren't as regular as the previously mentioned two classes, so I'll leave them out). Orientation week for your class is August 10-14th, and classes formerly start on the 17th. Your first round of tests (Black Monday) is scheduled for September 12-16 (it's actually just one day - the 16th, I think).

You'll have a smaller 20 question test for Histo 2 weeks into the class (I think). Don't freak out about it - it's pretty easy and includes a class-wide practical that is put up on the projector (all subsequent practicals will be through microscopes).

Black Monday is kind of rough as you'll have written tests for Histo as well as for Gross, and practicals for each. It's a long day. My advice for this is to study up for the Gross Anatomy practical, look at many different bodies to see how the anatomy can change, and also look at the bodies in slightly different positions/orientations. And spend lots of time in the lab. My routine eventually became, beginning two weeks before the test, spending about 2 hours each day in the lab in addition to any lectures/regular lab time to go over past lab material, work out anything you don't understand with friends, and check out other bodies. Repetition is helpful here - go over the structures in the lab until you are sick of it and you can do it in your sleep.

The advantage to Black Monday is we (by that time, second years) will coordinate a BBQ outside in the courtyard for your class when you're done. We should have hamburgers, hotdogs, and beer if it works out for you as it did for us.

I'll have to take a break from typing, but I'll add more later.

One last thing before I sign off - if you're taking student loans to help pay for things like books, your loans may not come until the first or second week of school.:eek: It may help to save a few hundred ahead of time (or have a credit card) to pay for your books/supplies until loans come in so you have the books to begin class.

Which books do you recommend for biochemistry and physio?

Which books do you recommend for biochemistry and physio?
I probably wouldn't get a book for biochem. The faculty does a great job of providing quality notes. Dr. Klinge does take some of her test questions from Marks BRS Biochemistry, so if you can get a used cheap copy that might come in handy. As far as physio goes, I used BRS Physio and it helped a lot. The faculty's notes for Physio are also good, although Weigman's did have a lot of extraneous stuff in them. Physio is a very well taught class but very very poorly tested in my opinion. Most of their questions have multiply answers, and that makes it frustrating.

I wouldn't spend much money on books for second semester, get some board review stuff so that way you will be ahead of the game come Step I time.

I only used the class notes for Biochem and Physio, although I did purchase the BRS review series for both.

The BRS guides seem ok, the content is a little basic sometimes and there are guaranteed errors in the review questions. Still, a decent purchase and if nothing else it gives you an idea of what you need to focus on for board prep.