University of Louisville School of Medicine Class of 2013

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

LossForWords

PGY-1
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So we finally got accepted and now we just have to sit back and wait for August. In the meantime I thought we could try to meet a few of our future classmates. So here we go everyone, and congratulations on getting in!

Members don't see this ad.

Yay for us! Now I just have to get used to the idea of cardinals, instead of wildcats.

I hear ya on that. Unless someone actually grows up in Louisville, I think Kentuckians default to the Wildcats.

Members don't see this ad :)
are you guys definitely going to U of L? I am still waiting to hear back from some schools but am leaning towards Louisville...

are you guys definitely going to U of L? I am still waiting to hear back from some schools but am leaning towards Louisville...

I got deferred at UK but accepted at Louisville so I'm 99% sure I'll be going there next year, especially since I've been leaning towards Louisville for about a year. I was actually visiting a friend in Louisville this weekend and I stopped at Neutral Zone on the way home this morning and bought a bright red Cardinals hooded sweatshirt. I can't wait to wear it around Lexington and get all the dirty looks :laugh:.

I got deferred at UK but accepted at Louisville so I'm 99% sure I'll be going there next year, especially since I've been leaning towards Louisville for about a year. I was actually visiting a friend in Louisville this weekend and I stopped at Neutral Zone on the way home this morning and bought a bright red Cardinals hooded sweatshirt. I can't wait to wear it around Lexington and get all the dirty looks :laugh:.

These two schools are funny, funny... I got one of the first interviews at UK and was accepted 10/15, and didn't even get an interview at UL.. and I think it might have something to do with the fact that my personal statement took place in/ revolved around Lexington :laugh::laugh:

Congrats you guys, Louisville is a great school!

These two schools are funny, funny... I got one of the first interviews at UK and was accepted 10/15, and didn't even get an interview at UL.. and I think it might have something to do with the fact that my personal statement took place in/ revolved around Lexington :laugh::laugh:

Congrats you guys, Louisville is a great school!

That is weird. If you're OOS, then I guess UofL is a little pickier? Meh, UK's a great school too!

Well I've been lurking for a while and finally got accepted to U of L. Congrats to everyone!

someone made a facebook group, I just found it, search for UofL SOM 2013 if anyone else wants to join it:)

I'm not sure I want to start seeing potential classmates faces yet. It's....it's....too soon.

I know, it still seems so far away, but focusing on it helps me to think of how I will be out of PCHEM someday. The group is currently 100% female though.

So, anyone found anything interesting on the Blackboard site yet?

Members don't see this ad :)
I managed to get myself locked out, because I couldn't remember the password, and it said my answers to the challenge questions were wrong. Does that count?

I managed to get myself locked out, because I couldn't remember the password, and it said my answers to the challenge questions were wrong. Does that count?

I would say that definitely counts. At least, that's more than I've tried to get out of it.

Hey everyone... I got my acceptance letter in the mail yesterday and I'm so excited!!! But can anyone tell me how much the deposit is because it wasn't actually stated in the letter

congratulations!!!

Re-read your letter though, you're probably just too excited to see the amount.

"Along with your acceptance, we require a $100 deposit to be credited toward your first semester tuition."

It's in the first bullet of my letter:)

congratulations!!!

Re-read your letter though, you're probably just too excited to see the amount.

"Along with your acceptance, we require a $100 deposit to be credited toward your first semester tuition."

It's in the first bullet of my letter:)

Yup, it's $100 indeed. They start getting their money from us early, don't they?

Yes they do, will someone post on here if they notice something on Blackboard that I should look at? I'm feeling uninspired towards calling tech support, since they say you have to go there in person to get everything reset.

Yes they do, will someone post on here if they notice something on Blackboard that I should look at? I'm feeling uninspired towards calling tech support, since they say you have to go there in person to get everything reset.

There really isn't anything too special on there now. There is a checklist of things that need to be done before matriculation, but none of that is comming due any time soon. The list is:

-send final transcripts
-fill out FAFSA
-send in any additional FAFSA-related material the school needs
-immunizations to get and the forms to proove it

This is the stuff I remember off-hand. There's also a decent walk-through for what to do for the FAFSA you may or may not find useful (though the FAFSA isn't even available until 1/1/09).

I guess that the login thing eventually resets itself, because I managed to reset my password. Does anyone know where they're planning on living yet? I'm some strange long term planner, and have already started worrying about that.

I guess that the login thing eventually resets itself, because I managed to reset my password. Does anyone know where they're planning on living yet? I'm some strange long term planner, and have already started worrying about that.

I may have you beat on long-term planning. I went ahead and moved already. :oops:

I suggest checking out the Highlands, Frankfort Ave., or Old Louisville. There's lots of cool places to live.

You win on the planning:) Since I'm not from Louisville, I'm afraid that I'll pick out some horribly unsafe place. I'll look into those areas though.

If you're really concerned about safety, you can always look into a big apartment complex like Kentucky Towers. It was really nice and I almost moved there.

So I got an e-mail recently about a financial/informational meeting for UofL SOM this week. Anyone else going?

Are you guys talking about the pre-orientation next month? That's the only e-mail I've gotten from them in the past few months. I haven't heard about anything going on this week. I will be there next month, though.

Hey everyone - I thought I'd start giving you a heads up as to what to expect the first few weeks of school. Hopefully this will make the transition easier and prepare you a little better. I'll update this as I think of anything new (and as I have time), and let me know if you have any questions.

First of all - books and supplies. This will be a large expense the first semester, but the next semester you'll only have a few to buy and you can probably get away with something under $200 - $300.

Gross Anatomy Supplies - you'll need disposable gloves, and old set of clothes, old pair of shoes, and a dissecting kit. There is a bookstore, Gray's, that will send you a packet of information with what I will be posting here, as well as an order form for gloves/scrubs/dissecting kits. I skipped all of that - I picked up gloves and shoes from Costco for $15 each, and had an old pair of scrubs from the hospital. They also recommend a lab coat, but even though the lab is a bit on the cool side, I would pass. The dissecting kits you can buy from the HSC bookstore on Floyd St. or from Gray's. My lab partners and I decided to buy a few sets and just split them. Worked in theory but failed in practice. What ended up happening is that I basically paid an amount equal to a dissector kit to comp my 3 lab mates for the ones they bought, but I didn't have my own.:laugh: Spend the $15 and have your own - you'll pass the supplies around plenty anyway, but at least you'll have enough scalpels.

Also, pick up an extra Netter's or Gray's Anatomy for the lab. That you will want to split with your lab mates and you won't want to bring in your personal edition to the lab as it will get slimy fast.

Other books -

Gross notes will be available within the first week or so of class. This is a set of notes compiled by previous classes, and includes not only the material you will cover (sometimes in more efficient means than the regular text), but also included a CD with many older first year tests (for every class). The tests are not exactly representative of what you'll see on the current tests as the past ones are 5+ years old, but they're good to test yourself and get a general feel for what to expect. Gross Notes is expensive at about $130, but it will be more than worth it.

Also for Gross Anatomy, you'll want either a combination of a Netter's and either Essential Clinical Anatomy (ECA) by Moore, or Clinically Oriented Anatomy (COA) by Moore; ECA is a condensed version of the latter - or you'll want a Grant's Atlas/Anatomy. I used Netter's/COA and I found them to be very good. COA comes with a CD that has clinically oriented test problems, some of which may show up in similar form on the tests. In addition to these, you will have to purchase a Dissector Manual from the copy center in the Dental School written by the course director, Nettleton. It is an unbound set of notes to guide you through the lab (also one you'll want to purchase with your lab mates for an extra). Although made specifically for the lab, don't underestimate its worth for the class as it has a number of good guidelines for learning various pieces (such as lymphatic drainage and Autonomic Nervous systems).

For Embryo, the official book was Developing Human by Moore (I guess the guy does a lot of books?), which was decent. There is also a supplement in Gross Notes in similar format for what was present for Gross Anatomy. Past years' classes used Langman's Medical Embryology. I also purchased this, and it had some good info, but overall I found it lacking compared to Developing Human.

Histology - the class book was Histology: A Text and Atlas by Ross. This book was also good, and had a bit of cellular biology/physiology which I've occasionally referenced this semester. In addition, you will have to pick up a lab manual, also in the copy center.

Neuro - you will need Neuroanatomy by Sidman & Sidman and Human Brain in Dissection by Montemurro. There will be a similar set of notes to purchase from the copy center.

All of these are in addition to the notes you will have to print out for each day's lectures.

Also, you'll have two additional classes - Intro to Clinical Medicine (ICM), and Interdiscipinary Clinical Cases (or something along those lines, ICC at any rate). ICC requires a small set of case notes you can purhase from the copy center. ICM requires lecture notes you'll print off, and they recommend Bate's Guide to Physical Examination. The latter is probably of limited use to you right now, and many people skip it. I picked it up, and found it has a good deal of informtion for performing the basic physical exams you'll be doing our first year. I have heard it comes into use to a greater degree when you're actually on your clerkships later. We'll see.

Those are your basic books required for your first semester's class. I'll add any if I can think of them.

The classes you'll start off with are going to be Histology and Gross Anatomy (ICC and ICM are all year long, but they aren't as regular as the previously mentioned two classes, so I'll leave them out). Orientation week for your class is August 10-14th, and classes formerly start on the 17th. Your first round of tests (Black Monday) is scheduled for September 12-16 (it's actually just one day - the 16th, I think).

You'll have a smaller 20 question test for Histo 2 weeks into the class (I think). Don't freak out about it - it's pretty easy and includes a class-wide practical that is put up on the projector (all subsequent practicals will be through microscopes).

Black Monday is kind of rough as you'll have written tests for Histo as well as for Gross, and practicals for each. It's a long day. My advice for this is to study up for the Gross Anatomy practical, look at many different bodies to see how the anatomy can change, and also look at the bodies in slightly different positions/orientations. And spend lots of time in the lab. My routine eventually became, beginning two weeks before the test, spending about 2 hours each day in the lab in addition to any lectures/regular lab time to go over past lab material, work out anything you don't understand with friends, and check out other bodies. Repetition is helpful here - go over the structures in the lab until you are sick of it and you can do it in your sleep.

The advantage to Black Monday is we (by that time, second years) will coordinate a BBQ outside in the courtyard for your class when you're done. We should have hamburgers, hotdogs, and beer if it works out for you as it did for us.

I'll have to take a break from typing, but I'll add more later.

One last thing before I sign off - if you're taking student loans to help pay for things like books, your loans may not come until the first or second week of school.:eek: It may help to save a few hundred ahead of time (or have a credit card) to pay for your books/supplies until loans come in so you have the books to begin class.

anyone in the Louisville area want to let a poor girl from CT crash on their couch during the 2nd look weekend next month???

that's what I was talking about, I just thought Lossforwords was about it as well.

That was indeed what I was talking about. I'm not sure why I called it a financial meeting when it's really called pre-orientation.

anyone in the Louisville area want to let a poor girl from CT crash on their couch during the 2nd look weekend next month???

Not sure if you've checked it out yet, but there's a thread over in Pre-Allo for interview lodging that might be of some help.

astrocreep96

Thanks for the amazing post!!

MMGMD10- I don't live in Louisville, but for my interview I was able to get a hotel room at the Galt House for $50, maybe 75, I just know it was cheap on priceline. It's about 5-10 mins from the medical school.

I assume we make the check payable to University of Louisville School of Medicine? Doesn't say on the letter.

I assume we make the check payable to University of Louisville School of Medicine? Doesn't say on the letter.

For the seat reservation you mean? Yeah, you can make that out to "University of Louisville School of Medicine." I write big, so I made it out to "University of Louisville SOM."

Hope you like that great story. I tell it at parties.

Thanks for the awesome post about classes and books... very informative! I'm looking forward to meeting everyone soon!

Is anyone going to the preorientation orientation next month? Wonder if it's worth it, and if I can't get the information otherwise. I'd be coming in from out of state, so it would be a flight and a hotel room. And I really value my weekends.

read the last 10 posts or so before yours, they're all about how we are going to it:) I think it should be interesting at least, I'm sure you can get the info. at another time, but it's the first time they have us all gather. You could probably find someone to split hotel room with though.

read the last 10 posts or so before yours, they're all about how we are going to it:) I think it should be interesting at least, I'm sure you can get the info. at another time, but it's the first time they have us all gather. You could probably find someone to split hotel room with though.

Is the whole class decided yet? I figured so early in the process that people might still be hearing back.

I believe that it is usually close to full by this time in the year, when I interviewed in Oct. they already had accepted 20 or so, and were making decisions about a lot more that week. I believe they try to fill the class for the most part by the end of december/january, but I'm not sure about that.

They are still interviewing, a friend of mine said they brought another group through last week.

If I remember right, when I talked to Pam Osborne before applying she said they would interview into March.

That sounds right to me, but I still think the class is probably close to full. They usually interview for waitlist spots as well, don't they? I think I've heard her say something about March as well.

That sounds right to me, but I still think the class is probably close to full. They usually interview for waitlist spots as well, don't they? I think I've heard her say something about March as well.

They do interview a lot for the waitlist since they usually get through 1/3 to 1/2 of the waitlist.

A spot on the waitlist is nowhere near a death-sentence at UofL like it is at some other schools.

Someone on the Non-trad forum said they just interviewed, and was told the class was 90% full, and that the top 1/3 of the waitlist usually gets in.

Someone on the Non-trad forum said they just interviewed, and was told the class was 90% full, and that the top 1/3 of the waitlist usually gets in.

Sounds about right to me.

So....

are people going to the Pre-Orientation on Saturday? Should be fun...

Looks like this thread is mostly just me talking to myself here. :(

I thought it was fun, except for hearing that my debt is going to be worse than I thought. :eek: The med student panel was cool, although I don't think I learned anything new about what the experience is going to be like. It was interesting to hear that the average MCAT score went up more than a whole point (it used to be a 29, I think), and it sucks that the new anatomy lab won't be done in time for our class. But overall I had a good time and I'm still eager (and nervous) to start this fall.

All of the debt talking was kinda' scary, especially that bar graph. I think it isn't fair to UofL that UK was allowed to lock in their tuition rates but uofL isn't allowed to. I am wondering what they are going to do with the anatomy lab for next year, because when my group went in there he talked about how they will try to do whatever changes can be done in that room, and then moved to the new room. I did learn that it's pass/fail grading, which I had somehow managed to miss, but I'm very happy about that.