University of Maryland Class of 2010 part 01

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Members don't see this ad :)
So if you click on your picture on the picture page you can see your profile that has your grades and MCAT and all that, but everything was wrong! Really weird.

Cozmosis said:
So if you click on your picture on the picture page you can see your profile that has your grades and MCAT and all that, but everything was wrong! Really weird.

No kidding! According to UMD, I got a 51 on my MCAT!

However, my GPA has shrunken to a dismal 3.2. I must be an underacheiver.

*hangs head in shame*

do we need to bring our computers at all this week?

Cozmosis said:
New sites for Friday's visits are in email. Not very happy with mine.

Coz, give it a chance. Surgery could be cool! It looks like Ari's in your group, too.

I got Medicine - the group that half of our class is in. :) I'm psyched, though! EM was kind of a letdown last week, and I'm excited to do something different.

LS, you're in my group, too. So are Saba, Diane, and a couple other names I recognize. Unforuntaly, our beloved SQ is going to be in Peds. Have fun wiping those runny noses!

I think I might have to call the police - there's about to be an all-out brawl on my street, and one of the guys has a very menacing-looking baseball bat. It's not even 7pm yet, people. :confused:

deepyboo said:
do we need to bring our computers at all this week?
I don't think we need to bring them. I toted that thing all the way to class today and felt like a big loser when I never had the chance to use it.

i have no idea where N5W56 is.....does anyone know what the heck that means? i have to go there for peds

LW - medicine might be cool because they'll do rounds in the morning. At least that is what they told us last week at the VA. I was kind of disappointed, because I thought we'd be going to the same place as last time, but it looks like I'll be hanging out with little kids instead. Peds is not something I'm really interested in, but since I have no idea what specialities I might consider I'll give it a fair chance.

deepyboo said:
i have no idea where N5W56 is.....does anyone know what the heck that means? i have to go there for peds
I have to go to the same place. All I can figure is that, after looking at the map, the N might stand for the North Hospital (http://www.umm.edu/resources/map.pdf)? Who knows...I think we'll need to ask.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah, does anyone know what:

N3E05(Rebecca & Daryn)

means?

And who are Rebecca & Daryn? I hope they're cool. Unless they're not really people. Cause then I'd just feel stupid.

Good call, SQ - I think you're right about the North Hospital thing. I'll check and make sure.

SCRUBS UPDATE:

I called Allheart.com today, and talked to customer service. The woman was trying to explain to me that "some of the order was taken off." I asked what that meant. She was like, "It was taken off so it could be shipped faster." I still had no idea what that meant. Bascially, we had a worthless exchange for about 4 minutes, during which my blood pressure began to raise exponentially. I HATE when people waste my time. So, I asked to speak with a manager.

Let me preface this by saying that I don't often lose my temper. But today was one of those rare occassions where the stars were in alignment or something. There are really only a few things that piss me off royally. Three of them are:
1. Blatant Stupidity
2. Smugness
3. Customer Service representatives who act like it's NOT their job to help you.

The manager was a combination of ALL OF THE ABOVE. Ms. Manager got on the phone, gave me the "I apologize for the misunderstanding..." schpiel, and basically told me this whole f*^&ing sob story about how their warehouse just moved, they've been having a lot of problems, having to cancel orders, blah blah blah. She told me that they were originally going to cancel my order. Then I got REALLY pissed, because I have not heard a WORD from Allheart.com since August 1st, desipte NUMEROUS emails (according to their voice recording on the phone, email is their "preferred" method of communication, which is bizarre, seeing as they never replied to mine), and now they are saying they were going to cancel my order, without so much as a notification?

Ms. Manager reassured me that the order was re-submitted. I started to argue with her as to the how long that would take, and then she has the audacity to say "But you have so many items...I wish I could just go down there for you and hand-pick all of the items myself, blah blah blah," and I just lost it. I HATE SMUG CS REPS.

Anyhoo, I am pissed off beyond belief (hence the enormous post) right now. I encourage each one of you to call (805) 384-4425 and speak with customer service. The order # is 1444166. Nag them to get this done. I can't believe that they weren't even going to contact me about this.

I asked the woman WHEN WILL I GET THIS DELIVERY, I NEED IT ASAP, and she was like "Do you want me to go ahead and cancel the order?" I was THISCLOSE to saying yes, and telling her where she could shove said order, but I figured we will need scrubs one way or another. She swore up and down that she will call me tomorrow and let me know the delivery date. At least I spoke to a live person, and not a machine. But I still don't know anything. Grr.

I wish I had known this before I ordered. Most of these reviews are dismal.

http://shopping.yahoo.com/merchrating/user_rv.html?merchant_id=1007354

http://allnurses.com/review.cgi?ID=124

I'm sorry, guys, but if I don't get a call from them tomorrow, we might have to cancel and we'll have to look into other options. We still have time to get scrubs before anatomy lab begins.

I will definitely be contacting the BBB about this...we'll see if that actually does anything. I'd better not get ripped off for the shipping charge if we cancel. This is absolutely ridiculous.

LadyWolverine said:
I wish I had known this before I ordered. Most of these reviews are dismal.

http://shopping.yahoo.com/merchrating/user_rv.html?merchant_id=1007354

I'm sorry, guys, but if I don't get a call from them tomorrow, we might have to cancel and we'll have to look into other options. We still have time to get scrubs before anatomy lab begins.

I will definitely be contacting the BBB about this...we'll see if that actually does anything. I'd better not get ripped off for the shipping charge if we cancel. This is absolutely ridiculous.
That's ridiculous. I can call tomorrow if you want me to, otherwise I say just cancel it and we can all pile in a car and hit up a local uniforms store. If all else fails there is still that scrubs stand in Lexington Market. ;)

Sorry you had to deal with all of that LW...definitely report it to BBB. If anything it might get them to look into the company and put a little pressure on them to straighten up their act.

Here we go, this place is close to campus:

Uniform City USA
406 N Howard St
Baltimore, MD 21201
(410) 539-8770
uniformcity.com

LadyWolverine said:
Coz, give it a chance. Surgery could be cool! It looks like Ari's in your group, too.

I got Medicine - the group that half of our class is in. :) I'm psyched, though! EM was kind of a letdown last week, and I'm excited to do something different.

LS, you're in my group, too. So are Saba, Diane, and a couple other names I recognize. Unforuntaly, our beloved SQ is going to be in Peds. Have fun wiping those runny noses!

I think I might have to call the police - there's about to be an all-out brawl on my street, and one of the guys has a very menacing-looking baseball bat. It's not even 7pm yet, people. :confused:

I'll give it a chance, I was just hoping to get into one that I wanted to actually know more about. I mean I like surgery, I just don't want to do it for a career and I am a tiny bit peeved because radiology was the one I requested #1 last week, and now they actually have it. Mini rant over.

As for hospital numbers, they're REALLY confusing, but I think that means (N)orth hospital, 5th floor, West wing maybe? Room 56. I know the first 2 are right, but can't confirm the others.

I laughed at Rebecca and Daryn too. You might be witnessing a wedding or something.

Also, sorry about your scrubs hassle. All I had seen about allheart were glowing recommendations from SDN, so I went right with it. I read all the crap reviews afterwards too. I was about to link Uniform City, its right up the road, also there is a place in Arundel Mills ( http://www.scrubsandbeyond.com/store_locations.aspx ).

Oh, and as long as he can get out of his lease, I am this close to a roommate and grabbing a place in Ridgely's. City boy soon??

Cozmosis said:
Oh, and as long as he can get out of his lease, I am this close to a roommate and grabbing a place in Ridgely's. City boy soon??

Hooray! City living is where it's at. Thanks for the link - I might be headed to one of these places this weekend. I still can't believe this - I also read the glowing SDN reviews a while back, and thought we were making a smart move. I just added my feedback about Allheart on that thread.

PS Scrubs & Beyond is still cheaper than the scrubs they were offering us through the EMIG - $15.99 sets if you get 2.

They also have pretty late hours, since they are in the mall.

yeah, i can say for sure that the place in arundel mills does exist. i walked past that place last weekend when i was at the mall. i don't know what prices they have or if it's any good, but i THINK they have some deal when you buy two pairs of scrubs. even though i didn't order with you guys, i just thought i'd let you know that you can go to this place if nothing else works out. i'm sorry to hear about ur bad experience with the other people, but i guess this is why they gave us a nice long buffer period to "adjust" before classes really start :p

Cozmosis said:
Also, sorry about your scrubs hassle. All I had seen about allheart were glowing recommendations from SDN, so I went right with it. I read all the crap reviews afterwards too. I was about to link Uniform City, its right up the road, also there is a place in Arundel Mills ( http://www.scrubsandbeyond.com/store_locations.aspx ).

NXWY = north hosp, xth floor, west, y room

north hospital is the area of the hospital above the rotating doors on green street (main entrance) with the elevators near the gift shop.

south hospital is the area above the rotunda (near great cookie)

Thanks cytoskel - I figured that was the case. I guess I'll see some of you tomorrow morning at the Medicine site? Also, what time do we start? I lost my blue sheet. I know, I know...I'm usually pretty organized, I promise!

Lo and behold, the package did NOT arrive today. I called both Allheart.com (I'm getting really sick of these people) and DHL. People really like to come up with lame excuses. Anyhoo, there was some hold up in Ohio, but I was assured by DHL that the package would arrive tomorrow. So, I still plan on going down to Bethesda on Saturday and picking it up.

LadyWolverine said:
Thanks cytoskel - I figured that was the case. I guess I'll see some of you tomorrow morning at the Medicine site? Also, what time do we start? I lost my blue sheet. I know, I know...I'm usually pretty organized, I promise!

Lo and behold, the package did NOT arrive today. I called both Allheart.com (I'm getting really sick of these people) and DHL. People really like to come up with lame excuses. Anyhoo, there was some hold up in Ohio, but I was assured by DHL that the package would arrive tomorrow. So, I still plan on going down to Bethesda on Saturday and picking it up.

Hey LW,
We're suppose to be @ our respective sites @ 8:30A. U can view that on Medscope. Have fun tomorrow... I know I'll try to.

-Gentle-

Gentle said:
Hey LW,
We're suppose to be @ our respective sites @ 8:30A. U can view that on Medscope. Have fun tomorrow... I know I'll try to.

-Gentle-

...Plus this makes 2 postings above OU. Not bad huh.

-Gentle-

Cozmosis said:
I hope Rebecca and Daryn throw one hell of a party.

Ooh! Party at 8:30am! Rock on! I'll bring the beer if you bring the pinata.

I want some chili rellenos!! Is there good mexican food anywhere around here?

So did Rebecca and Daryn exceed your expectations? ;)

Also, I am looking forward to this baseball game tonight, if only to get my annual fill of ballpark nachos. Yum!

SuzieQ3417 said:
So did Rebecca and Daryn exceed your expectations? ;)

Also, I am looking forward to this baseball game tonight, if only to get my annual fill of ballpark nachos. Yum!

I'm still not quite sure who Daryn was, but Rebecca was very nice and very enthusiastic about internal medicine - although the clinic visit itself was what is was. I think we all still have to get over that initial "weird" out-of-place feeling, like when I feel like I'm always in the way of everyone that is working in the hospital. Know what I mean?

No word yet about the O's tix. I'll call when I hear anything.

It was a beautiful day today, so I went for a walk at the Patapsco Valley State Park. There are some hiking trails I want to check out - if any of you guys want to join me on a hike sometime, let me know! It's really pretty and there are waterfalls & stuff.

So we found a really freaking amazing place, now I just have to hope A) my future potential roommates can get out of their current place and B) no one takes it until then. Otherwise we'd be moving in Sept 15. Which, heh, is 3 days before our first test! Needless to say, I think I won't be moving in just then.

If we get it, you all need to come see it. Flaming Dr Peppers on me this time? ;)

Cozmosis said:
Flaming Dr Peppers on me this time? ;)

No...more...flaming....Dr.....Peppers... :(

I puffy heart you guys for making med school fun. Even if it is at the expense of my liver. This is our last weekend to really hit it hard, so have fun & I'll see you on Monday (or Sunday, if you want to pick up scrubs then).

PS Ari did I leave my phone at your house? Once again, I have managed to misplace my phone. I need to surgically attach it to my hand or something.

Does anyone know what the embryo lab will be like tomorrow? Please tell me we're not doing a lot of new material...I'm having so much trouble getting my mind wrapped around the stuff from today. I spent 2 hours reviewing the first lecture and thought I had it down, then I went to start the second lecture and realized I was still confused about a lot. I wish my embryo book would arrive. I think that would help.

Just giving our lil' thread a bump into our second week of medical school.

Bring it on, I say! :cool:

Happy 3rd week! Less than 2 weeks now until our first exam!!!

:scared:

PS Let's get this thread movin' again...we need to break 2,000 before we can quit!

OK, I'll do my part. I signed my lease today, and I think I'm actually gonna try to move next Friday and maybe Saturday morning. I can shuttle the important ish in and then save the rest for after the test.

One more day until the weekend (hooray beer!). Can you tell what I look forward to?
I think I'm finally starting to get the hang of this med school business. It only took 3 weeks, but I can finally feel myself absorbing info on the first go-around, instead of just staring blankly at the powerpoint and going "what?!"

Just in case you guys are looking to buy books - I found a whole bunch that I didn't realize I had and want to get rid off. Most of them are the same as the ones you will use (might be a earlier edition but, books don't change that much so you can get it much cheaper)

All of these books are in VERY good condition

Langmans Medical Embryology 9th edition (Sadler): new 50 – asking 20

Lehnigers Principles of biochemistry 3rd edition (Nelson, Cox): new 120 – asking 45

The Human Brain: an introduction to its functional anatomy 5th edition (Nolte): new 60 – asking 40

Genetics in medicine 6th edition (Nussbaum, McInnes, Willard): new 55 – asking 35

Molecular biology of the cell 4th edition: new 105 – asking 50

Case Files – Internal Medicine, Lange (2004): new 29.95 – selling for 20

Case Files – Obstetrics and Gynecology, Lange (2003): new 29.95 – selling for 20

Current Essentials Of Medicine, Lange (3rd edition): new 36.95 – selling for 20

Harrisons Manual of Medicine, Kasper (16th edition): new 47.95 – selling for 25

PreTest – Medicine (10th edition): new 24.95 – selling for 15

PreTest – Pediatrics (10th edition): new 24.95 – selling for 15

Medical Microbiology, Murray (4th edition): new 91 – selling for 25

Basic & Clinical Pharmacology, Lange (9th edition): new 53 – selling for 25

Stedmans Medical Dictionary (27th edition): new 55 – selling for 25 (shipping for this item is 10 since it is VERY heavy)

Appleton & Lange Anatomy for USMLE Step I – selling for 5

Anatomy: Review for USMLE Step 1, second edition – selling for 5

USMLE Step I made ridiculously simple, Carl – selling for 10

Complications, Atul Gawande – selling for 5

On Doctoring, Reynolds/Stone – selling for 5

email is the best way to get ahold of me: [email protected]

Hope life is treating you good

So, we stopped short just shy of 2000 posts. Come on, people. It's not like we have an exam on Monday or anything. :)
Vent your frustrations here!!

Good luck studying, everyone! :luck:

I felt like posting.

ZZOLT!

Anatomy is almost over.

Maybe there will be a Maryland 2011 thread soon. I popped over to the pre-allo forum and there are already 2 SDN members who have been accepted.

I actually feel guilty getting on SDN now...I should really be studying. <sigh> I hate studying on Saturdays.

Hey guys, we never made it to 2000 with this one. Here is a feeble attempt at resurrection.

Status
Not open for further replies.