University of Maryland Class of 2010 part 01

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey Suzie, welcome to the party! Always love seeing this thread mini-explode when I leave. I hope you choose UMD, we need a big SDN showing! and WORD on Mighty Mouse, I looooved the Mighty One as a kid.

LW: I know. Since I live so close I might do that, but I also have 2 current M1 friends there who might be willing to tour me around anyway. I was just curious about a true second look - I want to meet you all.

Members don't see this ad.

Hey Suzie!! Hell yeah, you should join the party! Scrap MO...come on over to the east and help us finally get this thing started!

I'm totally with you on Venice...I've never been there for the summer & stinky water (glad I missed that), but I definitely loved it in the winter! I was there 3 years ago in January and it SNOWED! It sounds like you have a kickass dog. :thumbup: Do you ever run with him?

As for Duke: F___ 'em. C'mon, say it with me...F___ Duke. You're better off.
If you're gonna go to Maryland, first you've gotta learn about THE GOOD (Terps), THE BAD (UNC), and THE UGLY (Duke). (For future reference, when the BAD plays the UGLY, we root for the BAD. And the BAD won on Saturday, so F___ Duke.)

When we get to 10 folks on here, we all need to go out somewhere in either Baltimore or DC. I'll buy the first pitcher!

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the encouragement LadyWolverine...that cracked me up. I was pretty much chanting F__ Duke over the weekend when my mailbox was empty on Saturday (meaning there was a huge chance at that point that I would be waitlisted/rejected). I'm so glad that Maryland has a better basketball team than Mizzou...at least there's a good chance the Terps will make it into the tournament. Mizzou will be lucky to go NIT this year.

Yeah, so my husband and I initially got this dog to be a running partner, but since she likes to pull on her leash it doesn't work very well. We're hoping to take her to Baltimore but aren't sure how its going to work out. I've lived in big cities (St. Louis, Kansas City) but always in the suburbs...I'm not sure how living downtown will be with a dog. I'm so used to have trails near my home, that I can only hope there is a big park or something nearby. I think we should all plan our own "second look" weekend. I'll probably be coming for a visit sometime in April to look at apartments near the med school...we could all get together and go out for food/drinks or something. I'm always up for a good time, and would appreciate any advice you native Marylanders have. I'm gonna be like a fish out of water for a few weeks.

Federal Hill park is pretty close to school, and is nice. Carroll Park is also close, and much bigger, but I don't know anything about it.

As for going out - my favorite place in the city is Canton. A lot of good bars and Nacho Mamas is there for excellent mexican :)

Cozmosis said:
Federal Hill park is pretty close to school, and is nice. Carroll Park is also close, and much bigger, but I don't know anything about it.

As for going out - my favorite place in the city is Canton. A lot of good bars and Nacho Mamas is there for excellent mexican :)
What is Canton, a bar or restaurant? I'd definitely eat at a place called Nacho Mamas...that's hilarious.

I'm definitely ready to be done with this semester. Anyone else having a hard time focusing now that the application cycle is drawing to a close? I wish I could move to Baltimore now. Lol.

SuzieQ3417 said:
What is Canton, a bar or restaurant? I'd definitely eat at a place called Nacho Mamas...that's hilarious.

I'm definitely ready to be done with this semester. Anyone else having a hard time focusing now that the application cycle is drawing to a close? I wish I could move to Baltimore now. Lol.

I think that Canton is a section of Baltimore, kinda like a burgh. Then again, I don't live there, so I'm not the expert. That's what Coz is for. :) I've only partied in Baltimore a couple of times, and the only place I remember (aside from the old power plant, of course) is some joint called Sonar. It was kinda cool, but a bit hazy and smoky.

Nachos sound so good right now...mm...with lots of jalopenos! Hey Suzie, do you like hot wings? We've started an informal club for lovers of hot wings. The hotter the better. :thumbup:

And I'm definitely having trouble focusing...but I'm not in school. I'm a bit older (finished undergrad in '01) and have the unfortunate luxury of a 60-hour per week job. But, hey, at least it pays the bills and gives me ample time to waste on SDN. :D

I can't wait until I quit. 2 months and counting. :cool:

I'm no expert :) Canton is a neighborhood, and the pertinent part is a little square of bars/restaurants. Nacho Mamas is a little hole in the wall with all kinds of old Baltimore sports memorabilia. They also serve margaritas in hubcaps :)

I don't go downtown very much, so I'm definitely not an expert. I'll leave that to a real pro

I love wings, but I'm not too sure about the hot part. I like mine about medium spicy...you know, mouth burning and eyes watering slightly, but no tears running down your cheeks. I'm a wimp I guess.

And margarita's served in hubcaps? That sounds like trouble..they're one of my favorite drinks, although I don't always appreciate them the morning after.

Have you guys decided where you're going to live next year? We've been looking at the Centerpoint apartments. Our current apartment is pretty sh***y, so it would be nice to upgrade. I want to be able to roll out of bed 20 minutes before class starts and still make it on time. Plus I figure living close to the med school means it'll be easier to hang out with classmates for fun/study time.

The top of the apartment list:
Redwood
Atrium
Sail Cloth
Centerpoint

I think those are the best. I'd like to get in Redwood if I can. And the hubcaps are great!

Cozmosis said:
The top of the apartment list:
Redwood
Atrium
Sail Cloth
Centerpoint

I think those are the best. I'd like to get in Redwood if I can. And the hubcaps are great!

I definitely agree with the first two...I dunno what the other two are. Is there a waiting list to get in to the Redwood? What will they take into consideration? Hopefully my income! I don't want to apply when I don't have a job. Maybe I will go down there on Sunday if I have some time...I'd like to submit an application.

Eep! It's getting close! Less than 3 months now until the PMP begins. lol...PMP...it's hard out there for a PMP, or so I've heard.

I'm soooooooo down with the hubcap thing - that fawkin rocks! First official UMMS class of 2010 get-together should be at Nacho Mamas!!!

I looked at the Redwood website...it seems really nice. Unfortunately, most apartments downtown do not allow dogs or restrict their size (ours is a 40lb beast). Are you guys going to have cars with you? I'm not sure how much I'll actually need one, and I hear parking can be expensive. I have no idea how much those apartment complexes charge just to park...of course they don't list that on their websites. I guess I'll be going into massive debt anyway, so what's a little more going to matter? ;)

Members don't see this ad :)
Aside from grocery shopping, if you live close, you shouldn't really need a car first/second year. I don't even know how much you need one after that, depending on sites, etc.

So does anyone think Maryland will get a bid to the tournament after that Boston College loss? I was really hoping to have a team to root for...looks like I'll have to join my parents and cheer for <gasp> KU.

Yeah, I think it's pretty much hopeless. After getting our hopes up, the Terps really fell apart this year. :(

I plan to bring my car with me, but that's because most of my family and friends live in the DC area, and I plan on going back and forth a lot. If you live in the city near the campus, I don't think you really need a car. Just like any other big city, stuff seems to be rather compact and readily accessible by public transportation/on foot.

I think that a car may be important for third-year. I know that a lot of students do rotations at area hospitals like Mercy, that you may want to drive to. Also, you can do rotations at hospitals in many other places in Maryland (not just in Baltimore), so you'd probably need a car to get to those spots.

I can't wait to see how much parking will cost next year.

Baltimore has completely useless public transportation. Seriously. It may be the worst of any major city.

You generally need a car to do any kind of nightlife thing, or shopping.

If you live in the University Suites, parking is an additional $55 a month in the Lexington garage.

If you were to commute, I think the garage charges around 7 or 8 bucks per day.

plzletmein said:
If you live in the University Suites, parking is an additional $55 a month in the Lexington garage.

Yeah, I remember them telling me this when I went to look at apartments there. Let's just say that I was less than thrilled with the prospect of my car being a bus-ride away from my apartment (aparently you DON'T want to walk to the garage, especially if you are a girl and it's later on at night). I'd much rather pay a bit more per month and have my car in a garage attached to (or at least closer to) my apartment complex. That way, I can come and go as I please. $50/month isn't a whole lot of money, at least not compared to downtown DC or Seattle.

PS let's crank it up a bit, folks! We've slipped to #9...my alma mater is now beating us! Unacceptable! We must be #1! :)

Well, I must say I was disappointed that Maryland didn't slip in through the cracks and into the NCAA tournament. They did, however, snatch up a number 1 seed in the NIT for what its worth. Unfortunately, I don't know how many of those games will be broadcast around my neck of the woods.

On a med school related note, does anyone know when Maryland sends out their financial aid packages? Just curious if it was in March or April. Thanks!

SuzieQ3417 said:
Well, I must say I was disappointed that Maryland didn't slip in through the cracks and into the NCAA tournament. They did, however, snatch up a number 1 seed in the NIT for what its worth. Unfortunately, I don't know how many of those games will be broadcast around my neck of the woods.

On a med school related note, does anyone know when Maryland sends out their financial aid packages? Just curious if it was in March or April. Thanks!

NIT will be televised on ESPN. A poster on here said April for financial aid.

Cozmosis said:
Oh, and we're only down to 7, silly. The other threads are class of 09 :)

Oh.
I can read, seriously. I just had a momentary lapse of neuronal function. It unfortunately happens quite often.

Man, I CANNOT wait for summer. I'm so frickin pale, I look like a ghost. Does Baltimore have any kind of beaches (man-made or otherwise?), or do we need to go to OC for that? I haven't been there since senior week of high school...ooh! Road trip!

Cozmosis said:
NIT will be televised on ESPN. A poster on here said April for financial aid.
Ah, but this is still a problem. I don't get ESPN. Due to being extremely cheap we cut back our cable to only the basic channels (read: Discovery, TBS, and home shopping). At one point this basic cable included ESPN, but that is no more. We get the picture...sort of, but no sound. For the first time, though, the NCAA tournament is also being broadcast over the internet, so I won't be entirely basketball deprived. I guess I'll have to look around and see if the NIT is also being put on the internet somewhere.

LadyWolverine said:
Oh.
I can read, seriously. I just had a momentary lapse of neuronal function. It unfortunately happens quite often.

Man, I CANNOT wait for summer. I'm so frickin pale, I look like a ghost. Does Baltimore have any kind of beaches (man-made or otherwise?), or do we need to go to OC for that? I haven't been there since senior week of high school...ooh! Road trip!
I can't wait to be within reasonable driving distance of a beach. I also can't wait to have good seafood...I've never had a crabcakes before, and everything tastes better when its fresh.

SuzieQ3417 said:
Ah, but this is still a problem. I don't get ESPN.

Dude, that blows! Can't you go to your local sports bar to watch ESPN? That's what I usually do for stuff like MNF and playoff games...I'm sure if you asked they'd turn on the NIT games.

SuzieQ, are you a KC Chiefs or a St.L Rams fan? (Hopefully not the latter...that way we can still be friends :D)

Man, the 'Skins are gonna be stacked this year...they signed Randle El! Their roster is gonna be nuts.

SuzieQ3417 said:
I can't wait to be within reasonable driving distance of a beach. I also can't wait to have good seafood...I've never had a crabcakes before, and everything tastes better when its fresh.

EEP! You've never had CRABCAKES?? You're totally coming to the right place for that! I, personally, am not a fan of our crustacean friends, but people who are seafood connoiseurs RAVE about Chesapeake crabs. The beach is only a couple of hours away...OC is a great hotspot (if I remember correctly), and the Delaware coast is packed with great beaches. And the water is warm enough to swim for extended periods (unlike the west coast, where the water comes from the north and is frickin FREEZING). I am SOOOOO craving the beach right now! :cool:

I see we're artificially boosting the thread now ;) No ESPN? I would freaking DIE. And we do have the best crabcakes in the world thankyouverymuch!

LW: I'm sure the NIT is a big hit at the bars ;) And I wouldn't be so sure about the Skins, Randle-El is a nice player but can he really start? Brunell is aging and put up some stinkers last year, and Campbell isn't ready. Still a few holes to deal with. Lucky they are in the NFC.

Ocean City is about 2.5 hours driving distance away. If you drive on Coastal Highway north from OC you'll hit all the DE beaches: Fenwick Island, Dewey, Rehoboth, etc..
I love OC. Pay like 2 bucks and ride the drunk bus all day. Whee!

Woohoo! Tomfoolery!!

My, my, Coz! Aren't you in an argumentative mood today. I told you before...I love my 'Skins. I've never been a big Brunell fan, but I've gotta take him with the whole package. I think they'll be playoff material again this year. Time will tell.

LadyWolverine said:
SuzieQ, are you a KC Chiefs or a St.L Rams fan? (Hopefully not the latter...that way we can still be friends :D)
I have mixed feelings on the two teams. I was born in St. Louis and lived there when they first acquired the Rams....went to some games and generally had a good time. But in highschool I moved to KC, and slowly my allegiances are changing. My husband's dad does these crazy tailgates for each Chiefs game, so I guess that has had some influence. I'd say I'm more of a Chiefs fan I guess. When it comes to baseball, however, I am a Cardinal's fan through and through (but who would really want to cheer for the Royals...they're usually pretty bad!)

Hey everyone - taking a study break :idea: and figured I would hopefully answer some of your questions.

Parking - it really depends on where you live and what you are looking for. Most of the apartments (The Redwood, Marlboro, Greenhouse, The Atrium) have some kind of "deal" ... well its not really a deal but its cheaper then if you pay for the same parking without an apartment ... will run you about $100 extra a month. If you are commuting you can park in the Lexington garage for $40 a month but, I would not recommend parking there if you are planning on doing any studying after dark since the characters around that area are on the shady side. I think a dental student got killed in that garage a few years back but, they have tried cleaning up that area over the past few years and I think that it is a little safer. I am not trying to scare anyone but, personally I would not walk to my car anytime after 5pm if I parked in that lot. Lots of people park there and feel safe, for the most part but, I’m a 5’1’’ 115 pound girl who couldn’t defend myself if need be so I try to keep out of any dangerous situations. I also carry around pepper spray if I’m walking anytime after dusk. You can also park in the other student lot by the union for $4 a day. They say you are not supposed to leave your car there overnight but I honestly don't know how strict they are about that and many people have left their car their at night. I think they might notice if you do it all the time but if you just want to spend the night with friends or whatever and you commute it shouldn’t be that big of a deal to leave it there once in a while.

Car - you really don't absolutely have to have one for the first two years. The curriculum has changed a bit since my first/second year so I'm not sure about the new ICM (if you have to travel much) but, really the only thing you would absolutely need a car for is to do your weekly ICP or PD (not sure what its called now). When we did it, they asked if anyone in the group had a car and tried to make arrangements for those who didn’t. If you have one group member with a car though I'm sure you could work it so they drive and you just give them gas money, that's what I did. I would imagine it’s hard to grocery shop, go to the mall or anything that is not directly in the area (my boyfriend had a car so we used his for these errands). You will need a car third year – we rotate through a variety of hospitals (Mercy, Franklin Square, Union just to name the ones off the top of my head) so, you are expected to have a car third year.

Transportation - the bus system in Baltimore sucks! I have never used it but, it’s very confusing and the other riders may be a bit scary (not trying to make assumptions, it’s just my opinion). The light rail is convenient for some stuff but, can't say much about that either since I've never used it.

Apartments that allow dogs - I really don't know of many. I lived at Redwood Square first year, The Atrium second year and now live at Spinnaker Bay. We moved this year just so we could get a dog but, it's pretty far from campus (about a mile) so it’s not really practical if you are looking to walk to class. When I’m at UMMS I do walk home, and it’s a nice walk (unless it’s raining) but, my boyfriend drops me off in the morning – I don’t think I could walk to and from if he didn’t (every bit of sleep helps). I thought the Fayette St apartments allowed dogs but they might have a size limit too. You might want to try the new place they just built near the Redwood – I think it’s called Camden something or other.

When you are apartment shopping – many of these apartment managers try to make you think that they have this long waitlist. In my experience, I have never had a problem finding/obtaining an apartment. Especially with all the new ones in the area, you should not have any problem. Now, if you want a specific one (a loft for instance) you might want to get your name on the list and have them call you when one comes available. Really, the best time to look is now considering our school year ends sometime in May and everyone starts moving. That way you have a chance to look at what you want, find roommates and move in by August. But, you can also wait last minute and I guarantee you will find somewhere.

Night life – there is a ton of cool places to go in B-more. Fells Point, Federal Hill and Canton are all within a five minute taxi ride from most of the apartments down here. There is actually a bar called Bay Café in Canton that has a ‘beach’ – its on the water and the outside patio has sand (wonderful for a night like tonight). There are a ton of excellent resturants and shopping (they are building like crazy).

Hope I at least answered some of the info for you. For those of you still undecided let me put in a little plug … Maryland is a great school, the faculty is amazing and from what I’ve heard from interns/residents that graduated here they all felt very confident in their clinical skills/knowledge once they were finished. It really is in a great area – within a few hours you can be at the beach (OC is about 2 ½ hours), most skiing destination and DC. Also, Baltimore is becoming a really cool city to live in … the area has really changed over the past few years and from all the construction that is going on around us I can promise that it will be even better by the time you guys get to second and third year (it really sucks that all this development has begun now that I’m going to be moving out).

LadyWolverine said:
Woohoo! Tomfoolery!!

My, my, Coz! Aren't you in an argumentative mood today. I told you before...I love my 'Skins. I've never been a big Brunell fan, but I've gotta take him with the whole package. I think they'll be playoff material again this year. Time will tell.
I think they will make the playoffs too. I don't see them going very far, however.

Thanks for the post, loveumms :)

Luvumms...thanks for the insight! I really want to bring my car, but I don't want to get killed/raped/mugged because I need to go get it out of the garage at 3 am. Do any of these apartment complexes have their own garages?

Cozmosis said:
Y'all are letting Michigan go crazy! Post! ;)

Ack, I need to go to bed! It's almost 1 and some of us have jobs! (hey, don't you have to work, too?)

I think they outnumber us. It's really unfair. We should get a special scholarship just for keeping this thread alive.

Please, Maryland! We need reinforcements! Admit some folks already!

Thanks for the info Loveumms, although I must admit that now i'm worried about getting shanked in the Lexington Garage. I'm a 6'1'' 170 lbs guy, but I don't look particularly intimidating...

So we've decided that the parking garage is dangerous after dark...what about just walking around the neighborhood surrounding the med school? Is it safe to walk from the library to an apartment complex several blocks away at night?

Also, for the third year rotations...is there public transportation that you can use to get there, or must you have a car? Just trying to figure out how many cars my husband and I will need next year.

psst...we're at #5 now for 2010 schools. (yay!)

I would imagine (based off my knowledge of B-more's useless public trans and umms' post) that a car is absolutely necessary for third year.

Don't know safety specifics, but that whole area is sketchy.

I just got my brackets for the office pool, and I just CAN'T bring myself to write in Ohio State after the 2nd round, even though they're the #2 seed. It's against my religion!

Who did you pick to go all the way? I'd like to see Georgetown, George Mason, or GW...if not, then UW Huskies. But I'll probably pick UConn, because winning the pot would really be nice :)

My final four picks are

Duke v. UCLA
UConn v. Boston College

with Uconn winning it all.

However, unfortunately my friend just told me these are the same teams that Dick Vitale picked, BABY!

p.s. keep an eye out for villanova :eek: (lol)

Status
Not open for further replies.