University of Maryland Class of 2010 part 01

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
plzletmein said:
p.s. keep an eye out for villanova :eek: (lol)

Yeah, I'm tempted to pick Nova to go all the way. UConn's a powerhouse, but that loss a couple weeks ago was just ugly. Decisions, decisions.

Members don't see this ad.

LOL at the Allan Ray comment - so wrong. And screw the other local teams, they just hurt UMD, especially GW and their a-hole AD.

For what its worth, I have Texas/Memphis/BC/UConn, with BC winning it.

We'll be back next year. Maryland gets a great PG, another PG who is almost as good, and a rebounding SF with range. Hopefully Bowers (bleh), Ibekwe and Gist can grow up and provide some scoring and DEFENSE.

I haven't even begun to fill out my bracket yet. I'm such a slacker right now in every aspect of my life. March madness is like a holiday in my family...my parents and my sister are all Kansas grads, so they have the luxury of always having a good basketball team that makes it into the tournament, and usually goes far. It's not fair.

Members don't see this ad :)
plzletmein said:
p.s. keep an eye out for villanova :eek: (lol)

I *just* got this. I had forgotten about the eye gouging. That's some funny sh**.

Damn, I'm slow...the senility is creeping in.

Plz, you are officially going to hell in a very large handbasket. (save me a seat, will ya?)

Cozmosis said:
What else is there to do in Kansas? They deserve good college basketball!

This is true...Lawrence and Kansas City aren't too bad, but everything west of that is questionable (and therefore the majority of the state).

One of my freshman roommates in college was from Lawrence. She would joke about how hers was the only Chinese family in the entire state.

You know, I always thought I couldn't do ophtho because eyes freak me out, but its still on my list. Going to have to wait and see I guess. The injury was gruesome.

OK, this is totally weak. I leave SDN for one day so I can actually get some work done, and when I come back, there's ONE STINKIN' POST since yesterday? Come on, where the hell is everyone already??! I honestly think there's only gonna be 5 or 6 of us in that lecture hall in a few months. :(

I faxed over my application to the Redwood today, in case there was a waiting list. One of the rental company's employees called me around noon, and we talked for a bit. Seems like there should be plenty of room. The 1-bedrooms are pretty steep (starting at around $1300), which is a shame, because I like living alone. The 2-brs are totally affordable (I think it would average out to be around $650-700/person). Parking in the garage is quite expensive (she told me $130 a month!), but it's safer than a garage 6 blocks away that I have to take a bus to (like at U Suites).

I think I'd like to get up to Baltimore to check it out again in like a month or so. By then we should all have a better idea of FinAid packages and such. And there will HOPEFULLY be some more folks in our class.

LadyWolverine said:
OK, this is totally weak. I leave SDN for one day so I can actually get some work done, and when I come back, there's ONE STINKIN' POST since yesterday? Come on, where the hell is everyone already??! I honestly think there's only gonna be 5 or 6 of us in that lecture hall in a few months. :(

I faxed over my application to the Redwood today, in case there was a waiting list. One of the rental company's employees called me around noon, and we talked for a bit. Seems like there should be plenty of room. The 1-bedrooms are pretty steep (starting at around $1300), which is a shame, because I like living alone. The 2-brs are totally affordable (I think it would average out to be around $650-700/person). Parking in the garage is quite expensive (she told me $130 a month!), but it's safer than a garage 6 blocks away that I have to take a bus to (like at U Suites).

I think I'd like to get up to Baltimore to check it out again in like a month or so. By then we should all have a better idea of FinAid packages and such. And there will HOPEFULLY be some more folks in our class.

Sorry, I was caught up in the Chuck Norris craze happening on the pre-allo thread. It was way too addictive.
As for apartments, I think they are all expensive. My husband and I have been looking at Centerpoint, and their two bedrooms are priced around $13-1700, so we just anticipate paying a lot. I figure I'll try it out for the first year so I can be really close to campus, and if it's not all its cracked up to be you can always move to the 'burbs, commute, and pay half that amount.

Cozmosis said:
screw you all i'm going to wayne state

Ha ha. That's actually mildly funny.

I can't watch the games at work so I'm watching the streaming scoreboards on espn.com.

The BC/Pacific game looked sick. Too bad I couldn't watch it. :(

Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone know what Maryland's match list looked like for this year? I'm curious to know where folks are going!

I just interviewed at UMD and absolutely loved, LOVED the school and the faculty! I just wanted to say congrats to all you guys for getting into an awesome school! :thumbup: :)

Cozmosis said:
Do they even publicize the match list this soon after the match?

It seems that a lot of schools already have...although I think these are mor informal. I was just curious.

The match lists they gave us at the interview (2004 and 2005) were so similar, I don't imagine this year's being extremely different.

Oh...and I see our thread has been ranked - we have 5 stars! This is the best Class of 2010 thread. :)

tweetledee said:
I just interviewed at UMD and absolutely loved, LOVED the school and the faculty! I just wanted to say congrats to all you guys for getting into an awesome school! :thumbup: :)
Congrats on your interview. Is UMD your top choice? :luck:

tweetledee said:

Sweet! I hope that you get in, because then you can join us in the lecture hall next year! There's only going to be 8 of us, though, so we can all sit in the front row without looking like gunners. 8 is enough for an IM flag football team, right?

LadyWolverine said:
Sweet! I hope that you get in, because then you can join us in the lecture hall next year! There's only going to be 8 of us, though, so we can all sit in the front row without looking like gunners. 8 is enough for an IM flag football team, right?

Sounds good :) I interviewed this past week and now UMD has become one of my top choices :thumbup: I hear they still need to give out 80-100 acceptances, so gluck to those still waiting! :luck:

Cozmosis said:
Hey Suzie, so much for your family! Kansas goes down in the first round to freaking Bradley...yikes.
Yeah I know...that cracked me up. My dad thinks KU is now cursed to lose against teams that start with B. :confused: I think they're just a really young team and were overrated going into the tournament. Still, it makes for great tv. I'm sure my dad is wearing his Bucknell t-shirt today out of rebellion or just to have a team to cheer for in the tournament (he bought the shirt last year after his buddies at work gave him crap over that loss...good times)

SuzieQ3417 said:
Sorry, I was caught up in the Chuck Norris craze happening on the pre-allo thread. It was way too addictive.
As for apartments, I think they are all expensive. My husband and I have been looking at Centerpoint, and their two bedrooms are priced around $13-1700, so we just anticipate paying a lot. I figure I'll try it out for the first year so I can be really close to campus, and if it's not all its cracked up to be you can always move to the 'burbs, commute, and pay half that amount.

Personally I would move into the city third year if you are worried about money just b/c thats when its better to be close (getting up at 4:30 for surgery is much worse then 7 for lectures) - plus you don't have to drive far on call nights.

LucidSplash said:
Oh wow that would be great tweetledee. Where did you hear this figure?

From Dr. Foxwell on interview day :) :luck:

Hey everyone. I'll be applying this upcoming summer. I keep hearing rumors that Dean Wilson is retiring or leaving UMD. Is that true? If so, how much longer will he be there? I hope he is there for at least my year...I heard that he is really great.

Dean Wilson is retiring this year, I believe. Check it out on the website...I periodically get a newsletter from the UMMS, and I remember reading an article in the last installment about him leaving. I'm not sure what this will mean for the med school, but I'm sure that someone just as capable will take his place. Sorry to burst your bubble.

LadyWolverine said:
Dean Wilson is retiring this year, I believe. Check it out on the website...I periodically get a newsletter from the UMMS, and I remember reading an article in the last installment about him leaving. I'm not sure what this will mean for the med school, but I'm sure that someone just as capable will take his place. Sorry to burst your bubble.
They keep sending those newsletters to my parents' house...its driving me crazy (my acceptance went there as well, even though other correspondences come directly to me).

Anyway...what's up with Maryland getting knocked out in the first round of the NIT? That sucks. I'm watching the Bradley vs Pitt game right now and really hoping Bradley pulls out another upset.

SuzieQ3417 said:
Anyway...what's up with Maryland getting knocked out in the first round of the NIT? That sucks. I'm watching the Bradley vs Pitt game right now and really hoping Bradley pulls out another upset.

UGH. My Oakland bracket is so screwed after the ridiculousness that was the Kansas/Bradley game. I had KU in my final frickin' 4 this year. And I'm still lamenting that Tennessee loss. Seriously, what's up this year?

SuzieQ3417 said:

Maryland had a really crappy team this year. I'm glad its over.

Cozmosis said:
I am posting this at almost 5am because I have off this week! woo!!!
No fair...I still have to make it through this week before spring break. Of course professors like to have lots of tests/homework/projects during this time, but I guess its better than having tests right when you get back.
Next week I will be enjoying the slopes of Colorado....I've skied before, but somehow I convinced myself that it would be fun to try snowboarding. :scared: If this thread is one-man short after next week, you will know that I crashed into a tree or something. :p

Oh man...I miss the days of "Spring Break"....

No such thing for us old fogies. :(

SQ, I am SO jealous of you. I only got up to the slopes a couple of times this year, and it was on the East Coast (read: CRAPPY). I swear to God, I'm going through withdrawal...when I lived in Seattle, I was able to ski 3-4 times a week. Colorado is one of my dream spots. Where are you headed?

A couple of years ago, I had a job lined up at Cloud Nine at Aspen/Snowmass. I was going to spend the whole season as a waitress/instructor/ski bum. At the last minute, I opted for a masters program instead. Sometimes I kick myself, thinking "I should've gone to Colorado." Instead I spent 30K at Georgetown. Go figure.

Enjoy the powder...spring skiing is so great!! (Don't forget the sunscreen, or you're gonna have some serious goggle marks!)

LadyWolverine said:

I'm with you Lady Wolverine. I'm taking a couple classes, so I don't have class this week, which is nice I guess, but I still have to work 40+ hours this week :( Sometimes growing up isn't all its cracked up to be :rolleyes:

LadyWolverine said:

SQ, I am SO jealous of you. I only got up to the slopes a couple of times this year, and it was on the East Coast (read: CRAPPY). I swear to God, I'm going through withdrawal...when I lived in Seattle, I was able to ski 3-4 times a week. Colorado is one of my dream spots. Where are you headed?
We're going to Vail...I've never been, but my husband went about 4-5 years ago. We went to Steamboat Springs last time, which was amazing (but supposedly Vail is better...we'll see). I only go skiing once a year, but I wish I could go more. You haven't seen bad skiing until you've been in the midwest and watched some place try to claim a "black diamond" when in fact it is just a large, icy hill. :laugh:

SuzieQ3417 said:
You haven't seen bad skiing until you've been in the midwest and watched some place try to claim a "black diamond" when in fact it is just a large, icy hill. :laugh:

LOL!!! So true! But I will tell you this...I also learned how to ski on a "large, icy hill" (aka, night skiing in the Cascades...brr!!) and if you can master that, the conditions at Vail are going to be a piece of cake. The snow is soooooo light and fluffy that it takes almost no effort on the groomed runs (unlike trying to carve on ice!). The powder might tire you out, though, if you aren't used to it, so take it slow if you wanna last all day! (Try alternating powder and groomed). Wait a minute, you said you've already been to SS, so I'm sure you already know this.

Can you tell how officially jealous I am?!?! :(

U of M is now officially beating us. Let's pick it up, people!! :)

LadyWolverine said:
LOL!!! So true! But I will tell you this...I also learned how to ski on a "large, icy hill" (aka, night skiing in the Cascades...brr!!) and if you can master that, the conditions at Vail are going to be a piece of cake. The snow is soooooo light and fluffy that it takes almost no effort on the groomed runs (unlike trying to carve on ice!). The powder might tire you out, though, if you aren't used to it, so take it slow if you wanna last all day! (Try alternating powder and groomed). Wait a minute, you said you've already been to SS, so I'm sure you already know this.

Can you tell how officially jealous I am?!?! :(
It was perfect when we went to Steamboat, because the last day there was a decent storm that dropped 12 inches of pure powder on the upper slopes. It slowed things down so much that I could even do the blacks as long as I took my time and avoided the moguls. Its so much easier to control when you're not scraping around on a thick layer of ice!

On another note...I'm sure I have officially pissed off the Registrar office at MD. I emailed them to find out about acquiring in-state status, but it kept sending it back to me...so I kept trying. Apparently it got sent each time despite my webmail acting up. Oops. They probably think I'm crazy or something. And of course each email they replied with the same information, which basically directed me to the website I've already read. <sigh> At least I tried.

And for any other out-of-staters....it makes it sound like it is possible to establish residency after 12 months. We'll see.

WARNING: Shameless self-promotion (actually husband-promotion plug):

Just thought I'd mention to everyone here, if any of you are non-trads (or trads I guess) and are planning on buying a house instead of renting, my husband is a Real Estate agent and would be more than happy to help you out. I assume most people are planning on renting but if you are considering buying then you should talk to him. He actually has a really good lender that he knows too that can give you the skinny on what you can probably expect in terms of what kind of mortgage you can get. A lot of times if you are renting you can probably do a mortgage for similar cost.

Ok, end of shameless plug. Really, I hope I get to be classmates with ya'll next year and I'd love if we could help anyone out. So its not entirely selfish I guess.

LucidSplash said:
if any of you are non-trads (or trads I guess) and are planning on buying a house instead of renting, my husband is a Real Estate agent and would be more than happy to help you out. I assume most people are planning on renting but if you are considering buying then you should talk to him.

Hey LS:

I have been considering buying a house or condo in the Baltimore area; however, I don't know if I want to live that far from the medical school, especially during my first year. Prices seem to fluctuate wildly, at least in the neighborhoods that I have been looking at. Are there any properties that are relatively close to the school? It would be nice if I could talk to your husband about it. This is only the second time in my life that I've seriously considered buying.

LadyWolverine said:
Hey LS:

I have been considering buying a house or condo in the Baltimore area; however, I don't know if I want to live that far from the medical school, especially during my first year. Prices seem to fluctuate wildly, at least in the neighborhoods that I have been looking at. Are there any properties that are relatively close to the school? It would be nice if I could talk to your husband about it. This is only the second time in my life that I've seriously considered buying.

LW:

I can't answer any of your questions because I am clueless about house buying stuff. :) But I will PM you his information and whatnot and you can contact him at your convenience. He and his collegues should be able to address these issues. I can tell you that the way Baltimore works, it seems (to me at least) that you can go a few blocks in one direction and be in the complete ghetto and go a few blocks in the opposite direction and be in a rather nice area. I'll give Greg (my husband) a heads up that you might be contacting him. Good luck!

Is there anything affordable around the medical school? It seems like everytime I do a real estate search in that area the only buildings that are affordable are old and worn down and remind me too much of the crappy apartment I currently live in.

SuzieQ3417 said:
Is there anything affordable around the medical school? It seems like everytime I do a real estate search in that area the only buildings that are affordable are old and worn down and remind me too much of the crappy apartment I currently live in.

Affordable is relative. Housing prices in Baltimore and metro DC vary a lot (but tend to be higher than elsewhere) but a lot of time people who rent might be able to buy with a mortgage payment similar to a rent payment. I'm sorry I can't give more specifics - I'm the science person, the realtor stuff is his shtick :) . But the first step is generally figuring out what is "affordable" for you and what kind of mortgage you can reasonable expect to be able to secure. Since Long and Foster is an "all inclusive" type of agency, you can get all of your housing stuff with your Realtor as a central contact. My husband uses a preferred lender he has found to be extremely helpful in the past. Since using a realtor costs nothing for buyers, it never hurts to check out your options with one.

Greg's website is www.realestatemd.org. You can do a housing search there, but its mostly long and foster properties. By actually contacting him (all his contact info is at the site and you best bet is his cell and/or e-mail) and probably speaking with Chris, his preferred lender, you can get an idea of what you can afford and then Greg can use MRIS to pull up properties in your price range - which lists EVERYTHING. Only realtors have access to MRIS.

LucidSplash said:
Affordable is relative.
Yeah, I know my idea of affordable is probably very different from those on either coast. The midwest has been well shielded from the housing bubble that affected a lot of the country, and Columbia, MO is no exception. You can get a brand new 3 bed/2 bath condo or duplex here for around $100K. They aren't much, but if you can fork out $150-175K you can get a big house with a big yard in a fancy neighborhood. :) That's pretty cool that your husband does real estate, though. I'll keep you guys in mind if my money situation changes significantly.

SuzieQ3417 said:
Yeah, I know my idea of affordable is probably very different from those on either coast. The midwest has been well shielded from the housing bubble that affected a lot of the country, and Columbia, MO is no exception. You can get a brand new 3 bed/2 bath condo or duplex here for around $100K. They aren't much, but if you can fork out $150-175K you can get a big house with a big yard in a fancy neighborhood. :) That's pretty cool that your husband does real estate, though. I'll keep you guys in mind if my money situation changes significantly.

Definitely do. I hope no one gets the impression I'm pushing him on anyone. Just wanted people to be aware in case they wanted to consult with someone on these issues - especially someone that understands the crazy time that beginning medical school is. And at this point, if you're going to be shelling out 1500 a month for an apartment, why not just shell out 1650 for a townhouse that's statistically inclined to go up in value over the next 4 years? At least that's how we look at. Not that we're sure WE'RE even going to buy a house yet. But its worth looking into since its free :)

Status
Not open for further replies.