University of Melbourne Class 2017

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

mariacpulido

New Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hey Guys,

So I just got an offer form the university and I just wanted to know who else have gotten an offer. I guess I'm going to accept my offer and go to vet school in Australia!! 🙂
 
Hey there.. I have posted quite a lot on murdoch posts and a few other australian based posts. Australia is GORGEOUS! I absoultely love it here. I am in my second semester of first year. I would not change my mind about coming to AU for anything. Tuition here is just as expensive as going to the out of state schools I wanted to, and to not deal with Wisconsin snow for 5 years is a real plus for me! 🙂 Cost of living is higher, but I don't buy meat and cheese and I just shop at farmers markets. I got two weeks worth of fruit and veg for only 25dollars, so I am cool with that. Internet is slow - broadband is not a common thing here yet.. hopefully they fix that so AU can get netflix! umm and try not to buy many things brand new, I shop at OP shops (like goodwill or Salvation Army)... umm PM if you have any specific questions about visas and stuff.. I definitely think my boyfriend and I are planning on trying to get our permanent visas! Congrats on getting accepted! 🙂
 
Thank you gor responding!!! I would like to know which areas around the university is better for living? I was thinking of living in the residential colleges but I do not know how expense it will be! How in advance did you buy your flight ticket?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
SOrry I didn't respond for awhile! I am hoping someone from Melbourne will respond to you seeing as I am going to Murdoch Uni in Perth! I brought my significant other with me so our visa process was different from others: We applied for visa in Oct. 2012 and didn't get a decision until Jan. 25 2013 and then we flew out on Jan. 30th and landed in perth by Feb 1, 2013. However if you are just planning on comming alone you can apply for your student visa up to 4 months before your start date and the student visa's alone (no partners) usually come back within 24 hours and then you can buy your plan ticket from there.

My boyfriend and I lived on campus for the first 6 months we were here because australia is ridicoulsy hard to find a place to live without being in the country to view the properties! I wasn't able to meet any other americans that came to my year of vet school before I left, but I am good friends with all of them now... soo you may have to do a lot of research by yourself!

If you are interested in seeing what life is like at another AU vet school you can check out my blog at: http://cheeseheadvetstudentinoz.blogspot.com/