University of Miami - Essay

Started by EmmaLee
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

EmmaLee

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Has anyone started writing the essay for UM yet?

The question they ask is "Please describe the attributes of the University of Miami's DPT program that have most influenced your decision in choosing to apply (4500 characters)".

I was wondering what you all thought of this. I would like to mention that the prestige of the university has influenced me to apply, but do you think this would be unattractive to the admissions department? Like..would they want a student that wants to be there because of the UM name?

Any other input or ideas for this essay would be helpful too!!

Thanks 🙂
 
When I applied to UM last year I had to write the same essay. I don't have a copy of what I wrote but I remember the main points.

I emphasized its reputation and rank in the field of PT. I also said I was excited about the opportunity to participate in cutting-edge research. UM prides itself on its research, so mention that. I also mentioned its enviable location in South Florida. At the time I wanted to practice in Florida, so I wrote that I wanted to develop ties and connections in Florida, and be active in the FPTA.

I didn't get accepted, but I don't think it was because of my essay because they interviewed me.

Kevin
 
Thanks for your input!
UM is not my first choice, even though I live in South Florida, but it would be really nice to get in and have the option!