University of Miami Miller School of Medicine Class of 2014!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
congrats to the new classmates :D

Members don't see this ad.

Hey hey people! This is my first time venturing to the Allopathic threads, and I just wanted to say hello to my future classmates!

Yes they don't require you to speak Spanish, but when I stayed with a 4th yr student now heading off to residency, she said that one thing she wished she would have taken advantage of was to learn Spanish. She took the medical spanish course, but that's not much useful as learning to speak the language fluently.. maybe i should invest in the rosetta stone before coming to miami? Damn my high school teacher.. she wasn't even a native speaker and made me hate spanish with a vengeance.. kinda regretting that now.

Maybe I'm making this up, but I could have sworn that someone on my interview day told me that students have the option of taking Spanish classes at the university if they want to. Anyone know if this is true or not? I also remember Medical Spanish being mentioned as well.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey Everybody! Another soon-to-be Miami Medical student here! Just wanted to say hey, can't wait to see everyone in the fall!

I'm also searching for a roommate, so if anyone is interested, just PM me or let me know!

Maybe I'm making this up, but I could have sworn that someone on my interview day told me that students have the option of taking Spanish classes at the university if they want to. Anyone know if this is true or not? I also remember Medical Spanish being mentioned as well.

I'm pretty sure I heard the same thing.. at least for the Medical Spanish class. I'd imagine it would be possible to take a spanish class from the main university during the summer as well.

I asked Dr. Weisman about it on interview day, and he said there was usually a medical spanish class offered at 12 or in the afternoon

This is my first time on this forum and wanted to say hello to my future classmates of the class of 2014. Also, I know we are all going to get ready soon to look for roommates etc. and wanted to see if you guys were up for creating a facebook group for our class so we can all get to know each other a little better?

UM CLASS of 2014!!!!!

Other classmates feel free to input your opinions as well!

Last edited:
This is my first time on this forum and wanted to say hello to my future classmates of the class of 2014. Also, I know we are all going to get ready soon to look for roommates etc. and wanted to see if you guys were up for creating a facebook group for our class so we can all get to know each other a little better?

UM CLASS of 2014!!!!!

Hey pbscholar!

There's a Facebook group called University of Miami Miller School of Medicine Class of 2014 that most of us are using... you should join up!

anyone else living in Latitude on the River? just signed my lease yesterday... i'm moving down next week and super excited!! when are the rest of you guys moving down?

anyone else living in Latitude on the River? just signed my lease yesterday... i'm moving down next week and super excited!! when are the rest of you guys moving down?

I'm still trying to figure out my living situation...

does anyone know how we get our UM email address up and running? i can log in to MyUM but it won't let me log in to the email system.

Anyone living in a suburban-type area this upcoming year (particularly a place with a driveway)? I'm interested in getting a motorcycle this August and since I'm a fresh rider (just got my motorcycle license), I'd like to practice riding my new bike around in a safe, suburb prior to taking it down to my residence which isn't so great for practicing :( (South Beach). It would be great if could store my new bike at a fellow student's suburban house/apartment for just a couple of weeks until I decide to take it down to my place :)....Thanks!!

does anyone know how we get our UM email address up and running? i can log in to MyUM but it won't let me log in to the email system.

I had the same problem- I had to call the IT people and have them reset my password so it would let me sign in!

I had the same problem- I had to call the IT people and have them reset my password so it would let me sign in!

Yea, we were supposed to log in for the first time on a school computer, so we all had to call the IT people for them to lift that restriction.

hey guys I'm a third yr Ross medical student and i'm starting rotations monday aug 16th

just lost the place i was going to stay, so instead of give up my rotation and fall behind, i wanted to know if anybody needs a roomate or looking for housing. ill be busy most the time, and out of your way, im clean too, gentleman, willing to stay with females. please please, send word out, i know med school word travels fast. im pretty desperate

i also have found a REALLY REALLY perfect townhouse, but i need 1 or 2 other guys/girls to share with me, we can work out rent and everything whenever u need it, my # is nine. oh. nine. 4 3 6. seven two nine four

Hey!
I just got invited to an interview for UM's new MD/MPH program. I was wondering if you could tell me about your interview experience. Any tips? Common questions? Best ways to prepare?

Hello everyone!
I'm afraid I am only getting back to Miami, so I won't be graduating in 2014, but hopefully I'll be starting classes next year!
Just a point on the Spanish thing... if you have a chance to learn it at a basic level at least, DO IT!. I'm a native spanish speaker, and when I moved here as a teenager I was actually kind of disappointed by the fact that I came to the US and STILL spoke more Spanish than English in everyday life!
So yeah, it's not a must, but it might help. It's always advisable if you will be living in Miami, for whatever reason. I'm actually planning to get through school while working as a freelance translator.
Thanks for all the info you have spread around the forum!

Resurrecting an old thread....hoping that you guys that are matching now can provide some insight. I figured this thread is the best way to reach out.

From what I understand, U Miami is P/F but ranks you by quartile. Is this how it was for your class? If so, does the quartile ranking make a difference as opposed to a purely P/F system? In other words, if you are ranked in the bottom quartile vs the top quartile does it matter for matching?

Thanks in advance.

Resurrecting an old thread....hoping that you guys that are matching now can provide some insight. I figured this thread is the best way to reach out.

From what I understand, U Miami is P/F but ranks you by quartile. Is this how it was for your class? If so, does the quartile ranking make a difference as opposed to a purely P/F system? In other words, if you are ranked in the bottom quartile vs the top quartile does it matter for matching?

Thanks in advance.

It definitely makes a difference- it's pass/fail with regards to whether or not you advance through the curriculum, but you are absolutely ranked based on grades and those quartile ranks are communicated to residency programs. It really sucks, because by definition half the class is in the bottom half- for my classes pre-clinical averages, you could have an "A" average and be in the 3rd quartile, almost the 4th. That's how tight it is.

It definitely makes a difference- it's pass/fail with regards to whether or not you advance through the curriculum, but you are absolutely ranked based on grades and those quartile ranks are communicated to residency programs. It really sucks, because by definition half the class is in the bottom half- for my classes pre-clinical averages, you could have an "A" average and be in the 3rd quartile, almost the 4th. That's how tight it is.
That sucks. That's worse than H/HP/P/F grading where at least you're not ranked by every percentage point, but by ranges.