University of Miami

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

KatieJune

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know how hard university of miami is to get into? What about Brown?

Members don't see this ad.

How hard? On what scale?

Well, if comparing Miami with Brown is like comparing apples with oranges then, as Miami is in Florida it should be oranges, and Brown should be apples.

Helpful?

Maybe not. But you have to understand that "how hard" depends on many things we don't know about you eg - are you a brown undergrad...are you a resident of Florida...?

Besides which, and I could be wrong, but is it even possible to apply to Brown's program if you weren't an undergrad there? I thought it wasn't except in very special circumstances like linkage programs etc.

This is what I found after exactly 3 SECONDS on Browns Homepage....

BROWN MEDICAL SCHOOL
Admissions Information, 2000-2001

IMPORTANT NOTE: Brown is different from most medical schools in that
the majority of openings for the first-year class are reserved for
students who are enrolled in our eight-year continuum leading to both
the bachelor's degree and the M.D. degree. The remaining places in
the class are reserved for students applying to the M.D./Ph.D.
Program, those who are attending or have graduated from Brown
University but who are not enrolled in the eight-year program, and
those who are entering through special programs at institutions with
which the Medical School has a formal relationship (i.e., early
identification and premedical postbaccalaureate programs). If you
wish to apply to the first-year class at Brown, you must apply
through one of these routes. If you are not eligible to apply
through these programs, you may wish to consider the Brown-Dartmouth
Program.

Members don't see this ad :)
Well, I'll give you an idea how hard it is to get into UMiami. I attended UMiami's undergrad. I obtained a 3.99 cum GPA there. I got a 30 MCAT (11 V, 9 PS, Q, 10 BS). I am a Florida resident (born and raised in Miami). Did research at the Miami Project to Cure Paralysis (it is located on UM's medical campus). Did alot of EC's. Good letters of recommendations. In Phi Beta Kappa and numerous honor societies. I got an interview there back in October, and after 8 months of waiting, I finally got off the waitlist in June. Of course, I had heard that they accept very few of their undergrads, so maybe that is the reason I had to wait to get accepted for so long.

What are your stats? Tell us and then I'll have a better idea of what are your chances. Good luck! :)

thanks my stats are 3.5gpa, 29mcat and lots of research and volunteer experience. think I have a chance at miami?

According to the website of UM's medical school, if you are an out of stater you need to have at least a 3.6 GPA to get a secondary. If you are a Florida resident, I believe you got a decent chance of getting in if you rock the interview, assuming of course you get an interview (many people that had similar stats to yours didn't even get an interview). What undergrad did you attend? If it was a well-known college, it might help to offset your average GPA and get you a secondary or interview. In the end this entire process is a crapshhot, and you never know if you can get in until you apply.

Yo KatieJune,

I think I'm a pretty good person to answer your question. I attended Brown for undergrad, and I'm headed to UM Med this August. Here's the dilly. You pretty much have no chance of getting into Brown Med unless you're a PLME student (8 year program: 4 yrs undergrad at Brown plus 4 years med). So, unless they've changed their admissions policy, it's not really worth applying to Brown. Go ahead and call the admissions office just to make sure.

As for UM, you should go ahead and apply if you're a strong candidate for admission & you like the idea of spending 4 yrs in the city of miami. UM is starting to admit more out-of-staters as part of their policy of increasing the diversity of the student body.

Hope that helps.

-Marmot-

A Um adcom officer came to our school, he gave a mock interview and told us about UM. I think it is very competive to get into, and once there very demanding courses, hard grading system from what I have been told.

True chica. In prior years, UM wasn't very difficult to get into. Now, it seems that their policy is to make it extremely difficult (I've been seeing people with great stats getting turned away without a second thought). I think they are trying to change the entire system to move up in the rankings. It's all a part of their goal to become more nationally recognized.

i know a girl who is from a 4th tier private school in florida with a 3.7 and 27 and had 1 semester research and very little volunteer hours....she was indian (not URM) ..and got in............decent personality...only school accepted to...........

i know a guy who is from a public school in florida (not one of the major ones) with a 3.8 and 34 with lots of research, TA, and volunteer........and he didn't get in..............he was of hispanic orgin..........great personality, accepted many otehr schools

moral of story: its a crapshoot.............just cause you have a 3.7 and 27 doesn't mean you are in or out, and just cause you have 3.9 and 34 doens't guarantee anything either.........just apply and see what happens............

best of luck

nero

Originally posted by CANES2006
True chica. In prior years, UM wasn't very difficult to get into. Now, it seems that their policy is to make it extremely difficult (I've been seeing people with great stats getting turned away without a second thought). I think they are trying to change the entire system to move up in the rankings. It's all a part of their goal to become more nationally recognized.

Are they going to start accepting more out of staters? Otherwise its somewhat difficult to get a more nation-wide focus when 90% of your applicant pool is from Florida.

Of course, the alternative to this is money, lots and lots of money. UCSF, UCLA, and Baylor all show preferences to their state residents, but yet still are ranked high.

I imagine its hard for a school like Miami to shun public tax funds by accepting more out of state people. I'm sure they've got some kind of agreement that gives Florida state tax revenues to UMiami, based on the numbers of Florida residents they accept. Its a guaranteed revenue stream, and most med schools are very wary of cutting that type of funding off.

Originally posted by MacGyver

Are they going to start accepting more out of staters? Otherwise its somewhat difficult to get a more nation-wide focus when 90% of your applicant pool is from Florida.

I read in their pamphlet about the school that since 2001 they have started accepting more out of staters in an attempt to gain more prominence nationally. I am not sure exactly how many out of staters they accepted though. But like one of the posters stated, it's a crapshoot and you never know what will happen. Best of luck!

I think U of Miami places GREAT EMPHASIS on life experiences. Like the two ppl from my undergrad school that got in there this year had 3.5s and 25 and 27 mcat.....but they were nontrads that had some interesting careers. On the other hand, I have friends who had 3.9 and 30+ mcat (florida residents) who got straight out rejected from UM but got into other top schools. Beats me.....

Originally posted by MacGyver

Of course, the alternative to this is money, lots and lots of money. UCSF, UCLA, and Baylor all show preferences to their state residents, but yet still are ranked high.

I imagine its hard for a school like Miami to shun public tax funds by accepting more out of state people. I'm sure they've got some kind of agreement that gives Florida state tax revenues to UMiami, based on the numbers of Florida residents they accept. Its a guaranteed revenue stream, and most med schools are very wary of cutting that type of funding off.

MacGyver,
Believe it or not that is EXACTLY what UM is doing. In 2001 (like Scrubs41 said), they started to dramatically increase the number of people accepted from out of state. I believe their goal was to accept 25 out of staters this year (they used to accept like 2-3). And from what I heard they plan to accept even more out of staters in the coming years. You can read it on their website if you don't believe me (they said they wanted to increase their national recognition...or something along those lines). Guess Miami is getting their funding from other sources as well.

Dr. Hinkley told me the reason why they started to accept out of staters, but I dont remember exactly what he said, so ill repeat what I do remember. I think it happened because starting couple of years ago, the state stopped giving enough money for in-state students to counteract the out-of-state tuition. Therefore, they decided to allow a significant chunck of out-of-state students. Actually, he told me that after the difference in the GPA requirement(its raised for out-of-staters), both in state and out-of-state people are grouped together and evaluated for admission in the same pool.

MGG1848,
Hinkley told us that the school receives $25,000 for EACH student that is a Florida resident. I believe that this is the case for many years now. But, who really knows? Maybe the school considers this pocket change, but I sure don't.:D

Canes,

Oh well, i guess im mistaken on what i remember. I seem to be losing memory for anything outside of class. Anyway, im excited for the new class to start, although the lounge has been nice with only our class there. We have our test this week, so our class will get to be involved and party with all you guys. Orientation was, and will be for you, a lot of fun. Good luck.

MGG1848,
Good luck on your exam. It's on Wednesday right? Anyway, don't get too comfy at the lounge. You guys are gonna have to move out of the way and make room for us because we are coming through!!!:D ;)Anyways, I'm looking forward to orientation and meeting you, your class and my classmates. I'm sure we are going to have a ball.:)