University of Michigan Class of 2013 Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

shemarty

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm surprised nobody's started this thread yet...

Members don't see this ad.

Yeah! I'm almost 100% decided on Michigan...does anyone know when second look weekend is?

Also, does anyone know the timeline for signing leases? I'd like to get that done sometime soon, but I'd also like roommates! Any thoughts on good places to live?

Yeah! I'm almost 100% decided on Michigan...does anyone know when second look weekend is?

Also, does anyone know the timeline for signing leases? I'd like to get that done sometime soon, but I'd also like roommates! Any thoughts on good places to live?

The second look weekend is April 24/25 :)

From what I've heard it's a pretty good time!

Members don't see this ad :)
Students usually live in one of the 2 apartment complexes next to the medical campus. I think they call them the "white coat ghetto". I don't know their names, yet. Ask your med student host, if you used one for the interview.

I am already decided to go to UMich too. Go Blue! We should all get together and party! :D :soexcited:

When are the admissions scholarships announced? I seem to remember March 20-something.

Students usually live in one of the 2 apartment complexes next to the medical campus. I think they call them the "white coat ghetto". I don't know their names, yet. Ask your med student host, if you used one for the interview.

I am already decided to go to UMich too. Go Blue! We should all get together and party! :D :soexcited:

When are the admissions scholarships announced? I seem to remember March 20-something.

The complexes are Island Drive Apartments & Medical Center Court Apartments, I believe.

Also, I'm fairly certain that they'll be able to see where else we are accepted on Mar. 15, and then on Mar. 31 they begin to give out the admissions scholarships.

Where are you all from? MI resident here.

I'm a CA resident but I moved to AA this year, after I heard about my acceptance.

Thanks for the info about the appt complexes - I'll be calling them soon. I think we should all get together for a pre-semester get-together. I've met some of the our future fellow students already - they seem great! I can't wait for the Second Look weekend.

Let's hope we get something in the handout at the end of the month. OOS tuition seems cruel, but not as bad as Wayne State. $83,000, are they kidding? I guess if it was my only acceptance, I would have done it, but boy, what a way to twist your arm (off).

I'm a CA resident but I moved to AA this year, after I heard about my acceptance.

Thanks for the info about the appt complexes - I'll be calling them soon. I think we should all get together for a pre-semester get-together. I've met some of the our future fellow students already - they seem great! I can't wait for the Second Look weekend.

Let's hope we get something in the handout at the end of the month. OOS tuition seems cruel, but not as bad as Wayne State. $83,000, are they kidding? I guess if it was my only acceptance, I would have done it, but boy, what a way to twist your arm (off).
AA is a great place. I'm down for a pre-semester get together. I'll be over in AA in a few short weeks to scope out apartments. I'm surprised there aren't more of us posting here.

$83,000 is pretty bad. I talked to a CA resident attending MSU's MD program and she's paying in the 90s (!!!). Now THATS horrible.

Hey all, I'm an M1 here at Michigan and I love it here :) Can't wait to meet you all for Second Look. I'm looking for a roommate next year (my current roommate is moving out this summer), do you know if there is an email list with all the accepted people on it?

Hey all, I'm an M1 here at Michigan and I love it here :) Can't wait to meet you all for Second Look. I'm looking for a roommate next year (my current roommate is moving out this summer), do you know if there is an email list with all the accepted people on it?
There is an email list. Actually its the "facebook" of who has been accepted, but I'm pretty sure it has everyone's email address on it. Its a .pdf document. I could email it to you if you like.

Alex you're right. 90K is just a racket. I know that's how some of these schools pay for their low in-state tuitions, but is still feels unfair. Especially being a CA resident, where it's so difficult to get in.

On a way more fun note. I heard that last year people had a lot of opportunities to get to know each other before the year began. For example, my student host mentioned there are some kind of summer pre-med school classes. A month in July when they went over some anatomy and physio. Does anybody know anything about that?

Also, medical students, what other places to live can you recommend?

Alex you're right. 90K is just a racket. I know that's how some of these schools pay for their low in-state tuitions, but is still feels unfair. Especially being a CA resident, where it's so difficult to get in.

On a way more fun note. I heard that last year people had a lot of opportunities to get to know each other before the year began. For example, my student host mentioned there are some kind of summer pre-med school classes. A month in July when they went over some anatomy and physio. Does anybody know anything about that?

Also, medical students, what other places to live can you recommend?
There's a lot about the application system that doesn't seem 100% "fair" to me. Such is life, though.

About the pre-matriculation classes... I've got a buddy there who says they stopped doing that last year, which is unfortunate in my opinion. I'm looking forward to the second look weekend though for sure. I'd really like to get together with as many people as I can before the semester starts.

The app process is unfair, but almost over (as soon as I get this FAFSA done). Currently though, I'm pleased with the outcome.

I'm sorry to hear that those classes are over. It seemed they would be helpful.

Unrelated: Can anybody recommend a nice sushi place in Ann Arbor?

As of 8:01AM this morning, I received an email for 2nd look weekend registration. As of 8:05AM this morning, I tried to register, and apparently the 80 spots available had already filled up. :(

Did any of you get a spot?

Members don't see this ad :)
I had the same problem, my email arrived at 5am, I checked it at 10, and 10:01 no spaces available. Rather inconvenient due to my not knowing much about AA, my first time in the midwest was for the interview so second look was going to play a role in if I liked it.
I signed up for the waitlist for second look, but someone would have to drop really early for me to be able to book a flight. Quite agravating.
I noticed the email was sent 2 days ago, but only arrived today, no idea how that worked.

I had the same problem, my email arrived at 5am, I checked it at 10, and 10:01 no spaces available. Rather inconvenient due to my not knowing much about AA, my first time in the midwest was for the interview so second look was going to play a role in if I liked it.
I signed up for the waitlist for second look, but someone would have to drop really early for me to be able to book a flight. Quite agravating.
I noticed the email was sent 2 days ago, but only arrived today, no idea how that worked.
Yeah, I don't get it either. It makes me wonder if they sent it out to certain people sooner than others. Either way, pretty crappy that you, myself, and I'm sure plenty of others didn't really even have a chance to register before the spots were taken.

For what its worth though, AA is a great place to live. I'm a MI resident, and I've been to AA a few times. Do some research on it instead of just taking my word for it though.

Yeah I had that same problem: email arrives at 8am, by 8:05, after watching that video, "Sorry, no more spots." It seemed like a crappy thing to do to predate the email. I called, and they said that the emails had been sent out in three batches, the last of which was today. I felt kind of slighted...What's worse is that those chat transcripts say that "most people" meet their roommates and sign leases that weekend.

Anyway, because I loved the school in spite of this debacle, here is my solution/proposal: Just go anyway. Maybe we won't get to have the dinners/lunches or go to the seminars, and it will definitely be more expensive, but we can still meet up independently at a bar or whatever. And you can go looking for housing. I'm pretty sure I'm just going to go, because I am getting really nervous about moving there. What does everyone think?

Yeah I had that same problem: email arrives at 8am, by 8:05, after watching that video, "Sorry, no more spots." It seemed like a crappy thing to do to predate the email. I called, and they said that the emails had been sent out in three batches, the last of which was today. I felt kind of slighted...What's worse is that those chat transcripts say that "most people" meet their roommates and sign leases that weekend.

Anyway, because I loved the school in spite of this debacle, here is my solution/proposal: Just go anyway. Maybe we won't get to have the dinners/lunches or go to the seminars, and it will definitely be more expensive, but we can still meet up independently at a bar or whatever. And you can go looking for housing. I'm pretty sure I'm just going to go, because I am getting really nervous about moving there. What does everyone think?
I definitely feel slighted. Why would you or I deserve less of a chance to get to know the school better? Perhaps it's because I'm already a MI resident, who knows. I'd totally be down with just going anyway to check out housing and meeting up with future classmates. I'm only a few hours away, and I have friends there that I could stay with. We should consider organizing something...

I, too, felt very disappointed about the whole email debacle. I was going to weigh a lot of my decision on Michigan's 2nd look, since my only experience in all of Michigan was for the 15 hours I was in Ann Arbor for the interview, but if I don't get a chance to go, I'll feel like I'm making a relatively blind decision. My primary goal, really, is to mingle with the Michigan students just to chat about their experiences, so that doesn't really require fancy tours!

I support Raje's idea of just... showing up. You never know, some registered folks might not show up at the last minute. Either way, they might just let us tag along to the events that aren't resource-dependent. We could also share hotel rooms and stuff too, to make it cheaper. What do you think?

Okay, let's organize something casual. How do you guys want to do this? Should we make up an email list? Here are the three main topics: (1) sharing hotel rooms/finding a place to stay, (2) meeting up sometime on Friday or Saturday, (3) looking at housing/finding roommates. Between the lot of us, I'm sure we know current students who might be able to hang out for a little bit to mingle, as Nerakium suggested. The other thing to keep in mind is that some of us may get bumped up from the wait list -- you never know. Anyway, let me know what you guys think.

Has anyone received merit aid information from michigan yet? Or know when it is going to come out? Do they give out merit aid without needing to look at your FAFSA and taxes? Or does all the paperwork need to be turned in before they consider you?

Okay, let's organize something casual. How do you guys want to do this? Should we make up an email list? Here are the three main topics: (1) sharing hotel rooms/finding a place to stay, (2) meeting up sometime on Friday or Saturday, (3) looking at housing/finding roommates. Between the lot of us, I'm sure we know current students who might be able to hang out for a little bit to mingle, as Nerakium suggested. The other thing to keep in mind is that some of us may get bumped up from the wait list -- you never know. Anyway, let me know what you guys think.
We could start an email list. I wouldn't want to share it unless over private message though. I have friends down there, so I would probably crash at their place; however, if the hotel rates were cheap enough between us I'd crash with whoever was going. I'd definitely want to meet up with some people to get to know them if they're for sure planning on UofM. And, about the housing thing, I've already found a roommate, so I wouldn't really be looking--but I'd like to hang out in AA for a bit...

Has anyone received merit aid information from michigan yet? Or know when it is going to come out? Do they give out merit aid without needing to look at your FAFSA and taxes? Or does all the paperwork need to be turned in before they consider you?
Nobody has recieved merit aid information from UMMS yet. I believe they start handing those out on the 31st of March... so not too long. I have no idea if they give out merit aid without looking at the FASFA & taxes--I could see it both ways. That would be a good question for the admissions office on Monday.

Hi there. I just accepted at UMMS. Like many other baffled folk, I wasn't able to get a place for Second Look weekend. I was just wondering if there's anything in the works for an unofficial Second Look for outcasts like me who still want to see Ann Arbor again and meet future classmates/roommates. Thanks!

Hi guys,

I am not attending UMich next year (congrats to those of you who are!), but I'm looking for some info on it anyway. Any input y'all have would be very helpful.

I know that tuition at most (if not all) schools fluctuates with the third year generally being the most expensive. Has UMich told you exactly what your tuition costs will be for each of the four years? I'm looking for the in-state numbers.

Thanks!

Hey, what internet provider do you guys use in Ann Arbor? I specifically want internet and not cable tv, so would at&t be my best bet?

Hey,
I got admission to the program and they sent some evaluation survey e-mail for the different interviewers and feedback. It came in our email and I lost it. They told me to contact Sandra Davis and I even managed to lose it a second time. Something is messed up with my e-mail.

I feel really embarrased asking her for it again, so if anyone has a copy of the interview survey they sent back to evalute the interviewers, and could send me an e-mail that would help out so much.
Oh which interviewers did everyone get? One that stood out as really nice was Dr. Seidman in Neurology.
Thanks a bunch,
~*Gina*~
[email protected]