University of Michigan GI program

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

IBD123

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi Guys,

I interviewed at University of Michigan GI program last week. Wondering if anyone else interviewed there and what you guys think about it. Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

I am from an east coast program and recently interviewed there. I was unfortunately very surprised when I was there. After talking with my friend who is a fellow there, I heard that some key people want to leave the program for other positions. Names like Dr. Conjeevaram is going to Cleveland Clinic. What was weird was that they did not even mention that in the interview, I felt like they were dishonest. I had also heard that the chair plans on going back to mayo, and that he is bringing in other people, cause he wants to get out. The chair of medicine is also leaving to go to miami of all places, so it seems like key people there won't be there. I think this is a red flag to any program that they are flocking away from a once good program.
Secondly, it was VERY concerning that this was not even mentioned like they were hiding something. in terms of ann arbor, i heard its a cold place with not alot to do, nothing like an east coast city. i will have trouble even ranking this problem given these scary flaws. anyone else feel this way?
the other weird thing they talked about was funding. i have heard fellows cant get good funding there even with great ideas and that one guy even had to take a loan out to get funding!! that is ridiculous, i cant take out a loan to get funded. anyways, let me know what everyone else thinks. what did you think IBD?