University of Michigan SOM

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

akademiks1989

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello, I am an incoming freshman at the University of Michigan and I hope to graduate (if I get in the first place) from the University of Michigan SOM in 2014. I volunteer at that hospital and I am setting myself up to shadow some doctors, so I know the institution pretty well.

I am also new to this forum and I like it very much.

I like MDapplicants.com a lot, but I was wondering if anyone, I mean anyone can tell me how they like the UM SOM, if they applied, were accepted, and matriculated. Also, give your stats if you ever so please.

Let this be the officially University of Michigan SOM thread. Say anything you want to about the school.

GO BLUUUE!

Members don't see this ad.

Talk about an early start... I recommend you stop worrying about these things and just get good grades. (Live a bit too). You are at college to grow as a person. Not to become a pre-med drone. Being here will likely make you into the latter.

But just make sure to take non-science classes (humanities), do research, and have good clinical volunteering activities and you'll be fine.

akademiks1989 said:
Hello, I am an incoming freshman at the University of Michigan and I hope to graduate (if I get in the first place) from the University of Michigan SOM in 2014. I volunteer at that hospital and I am setting myself up to shadow some doctors, so I know the institution pretty well.

I am also new to this forum and I like it very much.

I like MDapplicants.com a lot, but I was wondering if anyone, I mean anyone can tell me how they like the UM SOM, if they applied, were accepted, and matriculated. Also, give your stats if you ever so please.

Let this be the officially University of Michigan SOM thread. Say anything you want to about the school.

GO BLUUUE!

Class of 2014. That is hilarious... I graduated from UM undergrad in April and I'm attending med school in a few weeks (although not UMICH). If you want to see what current med students at Umich think about their school (nearly all love it, except for maybe some during 3rd year when docs/nurses are known to be very rude to them during rotations), then you should go to the Allopathic Umich SOM class thread. This is the pre-allopathic forum, and although there may be med students in here providing advice to premeds, the highest concentration of med students are in the other forum.

Good luck at Michigan. I had a great four-years there, and at the same time getting me to where I wanted to go: MD school

Although it may be good to keep it in the back of your head if you have your sights set on Umich Medical, you should mainly focus on your classes, MCAT, volunteering, research, etc. If that gets you to Umich Medical, well great! If it doesn't, you will still go to a great MD school.

What department do you volunteer in at the UM hospital? I volunteered there for several years.

Members don't see this ad :)
gapotts2003 said:
Talk about an early start... I recommend you stop worrying about these things and just get good grades. (Live a bit too). You are at college to grow as a person. Not to become a pre-med drone. Being here will likely make you into the latter.

But just make sure to take non-science classes (humanities), do research, and have good clinical volunteering activities and you'll be fine.

I'm not worrying, I'm just wondering (I'm at UM HHS a lot [volunteering, shadowing, broken collar bones]. BTW, I'm a psychology major and Spanish minor, and I only plan on taking the pre-requisites (believe me, I'll be far from being a pre-med drone, it seems that way because my passion is medicine).

BTW, someone told me they wished they started as early as I am, which is cool.

gapotts2003, have you applied to UMich before or visited it? If so, please elaborate. Thanks.

Anybody who has interviewed at Michigan SOM want to give the rest of us a heads-up on what it was like? I know a lot of the people on this forum are marticulating/current medical students.....

ijcMD said:
Class of 2014.
LOL!!! I think so too as that being hilarious. But for my class year now, I think Class of 10 (Class of Ten) has a nice, sophisticated, and smooth feel to it!

ijcMD said:
This is the pre-allopathic forum, and although there may be med students in here providing advice to premeds, the highest concentration of med students are in the other forum.
Since I'm new to the forum, can you give me the link. I used the search bar, but there are so many coming back.

ijcMD said:
What department do you volunteer in at the UM hospital? I volunteered there for several years.
Mott's 7 (Hematology/Oncology). I want to be a Pediatric Oncologist for personal reasons, and I absolutely love the "purity" of this floor. How about you?

BTW, I could tell Karen (volunteer coordinator) "hi" for you if you want. This Monday is the grace period to pick the new placements, do you have any suggestions?

akademiks1989 said:
I'll be far from being a pre-med drone, it seems that way because my passion is medicine

:rolleyes:

Just get good grades and try to do something really neat, maybe volunteer abroad with that Spanish major of yours.

And also, don't get your heart set on one school, each one has about a 5% acceptance rate. But you will be a doctor as long as you get in somewhere.

akademiks1989 said:
I'm not worrying, I'm just wondering (I'm at UM HHS a lot [volunteering, shadowing, broken collar bones]. BTW, I'm a psychology major and Spanish minor, and I only plan on taking the pre-requisites (believe me, I'll be far from being a pre-med drone, it seems that way because my passion is medicine).

BTW, someone told me they wished they started as early as I am, which is cool.

gapotts2003, have you applied to UMich before or visited it? If so, please elaborate. Thanks.

I'm a Michigan resident so I've visited Ann Arbor quite a few times. I've never been on a tour to the medical school though. I like the campus and the town... And of course their football.

As of now I am a current applicant this year and I have applied to U of M. We will see how it goes as time goes on.

All I can say is that they like their humanities courses.

If anyone is interested on what UMich is like without visiting, I'll tell you. Their students are very proactive (btw, I don't know about other med schools, so I can't make comparisons), very academic but still very interesting and fun. I know this because as a high school senior in Ann Arbor, I took a health sciences class, which I describe as a mini-med school, since we learn for one semester (half year) about the book knowledge of medicine and then for the second semester (second half of the year), we have placements. I had a placement at the VA Hospital the first time, and many times, the students worked with residents and had those "quiz" moments with the attending, in which they looked like this: :scared: . Ann Arbor is a beautiful town, and in the right spots (i.e. non college areas), it is very quiet and academic. The town is very diverse, so you will meet people of all different backgrounds.

But even I knew the answer, since it was basic and covered in my class, which was a rarity. The school is huge, and so is the hospital, hence many resources!!

Me= :love: w/ UM Med., but will settle :( for other schools if I don't get in, obviously.

Hopefully, for anyone interested, this will help:
http://www.med.umich.edu/medschool/

Yep. U of M is my top choice. (You can't beat the price for in-staters). Of course you have Wayne and MSU, but U of M is better in terms of combined graduate degree opportunities, research, prestige, and resources. Of course that makes it very competitive and difficult to get into. I would love to get into any med school of course and I would be happy to get into Wayne.

Not to be a jerk but did you guys know that U of M calls there school the University of Michigan Medical School, and not the school of medicine. Just thought I'd let you know :D

akademiks1989 said:
LOL!!! I think so too as that being hilarious. But for my class year now, I think Class of 10 (Class of Ten) has a nice, sophisticated, and smooth feel to it!

Since I'm new to the forum, can you give me the link. I used the search bar, but there are so many coming back.

Mott's 7 (Hematology/Oncology). I want to be a Pediatric Oncologist for personal reasons, and I absolutely love the "purity" of this floor. How about you?

BTW, I could tell Karen (volunteer coordinator) "hi" for you if you want. This Monday is the grace period to pick the new placements, do you have any suggestions?
Peds Onco 2021. Add that to your sig.

Umich Class of 2010 thread:
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=236189

I worked on the 7th floor of Mott's as well. I wrote my personal statement about my experiences on that floor and how it changed me. You can tell Karen I say "Hello!" If you PM me, I will give you my name and information.

Also, tell Donovan I say "Hey!" as well. He is a great guy and that floor is lucky to have a guy like that working in the activities room.

I would say to keep working in at hematology/oncology. It is a very moving experience, and worthwhile even for people not planning on going to medical school. I spent a semester working in the family surgery waiting room, which was cool as I met a lot of Umich surgeons and spent considerable time in pre-op/recovery/etc, but it was not like the altruistic experience I recieved while working at 7th peds.

Members don't see this ad :)
gapotts2003 said:
Yep. U of M is my top choice. (You can't beat the price for in-staters). Of course you have Wayne and MSU, but U of M is better in terms of combined graduate degree opportunities, research, prestige, and resources. Of course that makes it very competitive and difficult to get into. I would love to get into any med school of course and I would be happy to get into Wayne.

My top 2 schools are:
1. UMich
2. Wayne

Wayne SU has a beautiful campus. I went yesterday (my sister is going there) to visit and it was really nice. Nothing like the crackheaded prostitutes roaming the streets type of Detroit you hear about in the news.

akademiks1989 said:
My top 2 schools are:
1. UMich
2. Wayne

Wayne SU has a beautiful campus. I went yesterday (my sister is going there) to visit and it was really nice. Nothing like the crackheaded prostitutes roaming the streets type of Detroit you hear about in the news.

Shhh... The reputation is what scares other applicants away. Let them believe it. ;)

And yes... If I wasn't where I was now for undergrad I would be at Wayne. (Only two schools I applied to for undergrad).

I'll let you guess which one that is... Not Eastern, Western, Wayne, Michigan, or Michigan State...

PRIMER…lol!! I could never get that differentiation right!

BrettBatchelor…just for you I will.

ijcMD…awesome…I volunteer every Wednesday and WOW! I love it!! I’ll pm you too!! When did you stop?

gapotts2003 said:
Shhh... The reputation is what scares other applicants away. Let them believe it. ;)

And yes... If I wasn't where I was now for undergrad I would be at Wayne. (Only two schools I applied to for undergrad).

I'll let you guess which one that is... Not Eastern, Western, Wayne, Michigan, or Michigan State...

ummm. Central?

gapotts2003 said:
Lol... I knew I forgot one. (That's where my brother went)

But no. Not Central. :) It is public though...

Is it Northern, Northeastern, or Michigan Tech?

akademiks1989 said:
Is it Northern, Northeastern, or Michigan Tech?

Saginaw Valley State or Grand Valley State or Ferris State...

I have never heard of Northeastern...

Wait... Add Lake Superior State to the list!

ChymeChancellor said:
Saginaw Valley State or Grand Valley State or Ferris State...

I have never heard of Northeastern...

Wait... Add Lake Superior State to the list!

screw this! let me know already!

akademiks1989 said:
screw this! let me know already!

Oakland. You guys picked about every school except for the one I am at. If Wayne was any indication it would be a school that I could live at home and commute to.

gapotts2003 said:
Oakland. You guys picked about every school except for the one I am at. If Wayne was any indication it would be a school that I could live at home and commute to.

Oakland?

ijcMD said:
Also, tell Donovan I say "Hey!" as well. He is a great guy and that floor is lucky to have a guy like that working in the activities room.

Donovan's the man

ChymeChancellor said:

Yep, Oakland University. Pretty good school with a good business program, they recently were really good at basketball. My sister got in, but is going to Wayne State instead.

akademiks1989 said:
Yep, Oakland University. Pretty good school with a good business program, they recently were really good at basketball. My sister got in, but is going to Wayne State instead.

Isn't that one of the more expensice public school's in Michigan? I had always thought it was private. They really don't get much recognition over here on the west side.

ChymeChancellor said:
Isn't that one of the more expensice public school's in Michigan? I had always thought it was private. They really don't get much recognition over here on the west side.

Are you a Michigander? If so, from where?

Although it is a good school, it is pretty easy to get into. Most students have between a 2.5 and 3.0, and the cost in-state is $5,856, which is pretty cheap compared to UMich-Ann Arbor ($9,723), Michigan State University ($7,880), UMich-Dearborn ($7,116), Wayne State University ($6,389) and Eastern Michigan University ($6,935). This probably doesn't matter to you since I assume you are already in college.

ChymeChancellor said:

http://michigan.gov/documents/Public4YearUniversitiesPriceChart_129673_7.pdf

There's a link to the tuition rates for the 05-06 year. OU's tuition isn't that high compared to the other public schools. It's one of the lower tuitions.

You probably didn't hear about it because most of the students are in Oakland or Macomb county. A majority commute to campus.

akademiks1989 said:

Although it is a good school, it is pretty easy to get into. Most students have between a 2.5 and 3.0, and the cost in-state is $5,856, which is pretty cheap compared to UMich-Ann Arbor ($9,723), Michigan State University ($7,880), UMich-Dearborn ($7,116), Wayne State University ($6,389) and Eastern Michigan University ($6,935). This probably doesn't matter to you since I assume you are already in college.

Michigander here! Can you guess where I am from? muahahahaha

akademiks1989 said:

Yeah OU isn't exactly selective which kind of puts you at a disadvantage for intro classes, but it's fine if you are in upper level coures. (The professors have to deal with making the class passable or nobody is going to take them).

Although when I had my intro Bio classes they were still weeding out the slackers.

So if you can use what the university offers it is good for you. I've had a great opportunity for research that not many undergrads get. (Scholarships and fellowships). I have also gotten close to some of my professors.

Ummm...I hate guessing, but let's start with West Side Detroit? :confused:

akademiks1989 said:
Ummm...I hate guessing, but let's start with West Side Detroit? :confused:

West side.... Not WMU. If that doesn't give it away you will never get into med school.

akademiks1989 said:
BTW, I'm a psychology major and Spanish minor
No, you aren't. As of this year, there is no Spanish minor. It is on a four year moratorium... as such, incoming freshman won't be allowed to declare it.

If you've got any questions, post 'em here or PM me... I've taken plenty of psych as I'm a neuroscience major, and I do freshman advising (orientation ended today!) though mostly Honors Program stuff. Maybe I'll be your Orgo Lab TA this term ;)

_ian said:
No, you aren't. As of this year, there is no Spanish minor. It is on a four year moratorium... as such, incoming freshman won't be allowed to declare it.

If you've got any questions, post 'em here or PM me... I've taken plenty of psych as I'm a neuroscience major, and I do freshman advising (orientation ended today!) though mostly Honors Program stuff. Maybe I'll be your Orgo Lab TA this term ;)

Yes I am. I go to the University of Michigan-Dearborn :laugh: . I have my reasons for not going to Ann Arbor, such as classes being taught by TA's versus professors with Ph.D's. :cool: I don't want to transfer either, but I am still sexually infatuated with the university ( :smuggrin: ...lmao...only kidding). I've heard from some sources that going to a regional campus will not hurt you, since the transcript reads "The University of Michigan"

akademiks1989 said:
Yes I am. I go to the University of Michigan-Dearborn :laugh: . I have my reasons for not going to Ann Arbor, such as classes being taught by TA's versus professors with Ph.D's. :cool: I don't want to transfer either, but I am still sexually infatuated with the university ( :smuggrin: ...lmao...only kidding). I've heard from some sources that going to a regional campus will not hurt you, since the transcript reads "The University of Michigan"

You're joking right? You think the admissions commitee will know everything about you, your life history, SSN, demographic, educational history, but wouldn't bother to look at whether you went to class at UM AA, Dearborn or Flint?? I live in Dearborn and go to school in AA and I've heard all the rumors and they're just made up justifications for the people to be there.

I'm sure you're a bright kid but this past year a student from undergrad UM-D got accepted to UMMS and it was the first time in over a decade!! It's a fact that schools look at where you go to school and the strength of the premed curriculum. I'm just letting you know the situation.

akademiks1989 said:
I've heard from some sources that going to a regional campus will not hurt you, since the transcript reads "The University of Michigan"
That's a myth; transcripts all state the campus on them, so you won't be able to misrepresent yourself, but it won't hurt you provided your grades and MCAT scores are fine. Dearborn is a less rigorous school, but it won't stop you from getting into medical school.

If you ever drop by the ITS Accounts Office, be very nice to Linda.

this is the dumbest thread of all time. i go to UM. get through gen chem, then orgo, and physics etc, then come on here and start talking about the med school. until then this is ******ed.

tips: get good grades, dont cheat, do well on the mcat, dont get any grls pregnant, dont get an IMP, dont urinate in public, dont get too rowdy at football games, do eat at big 10

dittozip said:
this is the dumbest thread of all time. i go to UM. get through gen chem, then orgo, and physics etc, then come on here and start talking about the med school. until then this is ******ed.

tips: get good grades, dont cheat, do well on the mcat, dont get any grls pregnant, dont get an IMP, dont urinate in public, dont get too rowdy at football games, do eat at big 10

I hope as a physician you don't want to work with MENTALLY CHANLLENGED people :confused:

Wow. I now feel depressed. Was deciding on going to UM-D a bad decision over going to UM-AA? So, I'll use the cliche line: so what are my chances? ;)
Tips, now...

BTW, dittozip, your rant was ******ed, and unneccesary.

akademiks1989 said:
Wow. I now feel depressed. Was deciding on going to UM-D a bad decision over going to UM-AA? So, I'll use the cliche line: so what are my chances? ;)
Tips, now...

It's hard to get into medical school anywhere. Just do the best you can. And of course you can take general education courses at any school you want and then transfer to any other school you want to later. Schools do like to see rigor in your pre-reqs though.

seriously, too many UM undergrads get there heart set on UM med school. The presteige level of UofM med school is MUCH MUCH higher than that of thier undergrad (which is kinda overrated IMHO). UofM undergrads go EVERYWHERE... just look at the list of undergrad institutions at most schools... sadly getting into UofM med is probably made harder if you're a UofM undergrad.

/greater flint area.
//MIAA school... probably not hard to guess which one.

akademiks1989 said:
Tips, now...

Don't get depressed, just don't go off of what people say about the school, or the transcripts, or the T.A.'s. My brother did that and I nearly killed him for it. He transferred after a year and says its a world of difference--but that's him. Go to UM-D bc you are registered there and it's august already. see if you like it, you might be in love with it and that's that. You might not, but don't close the door on transferring. You seem to have a pretty much closed mind on how your life will turn out and you're fresh out of high school...people change. You can't be sure that you dont want to transfer, or what med school you want to go to, or even your major/minor yet. This forum is filled with people whose lives are nothing like they had planned and you just gotta roll with it.

maestro1625 said:
sadly getting into UofM med is probably made harder if you're a UofM undergrad.

How do you figure that? there's atleast 25% every year

total enrollment from UM
2006 170 43
2005 177 51
2004 170 42
2003 170 42
2002 170 60
2001 170 59

Thanks, I'm not really depressed though.

Okay, so this is why I chose UMD over UMAA:

-UMD has most classes taught by professors with Ph.D's.
-UMD is smaller, hence the smaller class sizes.
-UMAA has a hostile, competitive atmosphere. No one is willing to help.
-UMAA is a party school, and I might get distracted.
-UMD is cheaper.
-UMD gives me more opportunities to interact with professors without fearing other students are competing with me.
-The UMD/UMAA degree are both written as The University of Michigan

But now, I am not staying closed-minded, but don't most students make relationships with profs who write them LOR's beginning as freshman? If that's the case, then if I transfer, won't I be at a disadvantage?

I want to go to med school in 2010, hopefully UM or Wayne State. I'm I in over my head? Seriously, what do I need to get in? Would a MCAT 36+ and G.P.A. of 3.7+ suffice?

Thanks everyone for calming my freshman ass down.

Sorry, for sounding desperate, in advance.

Ironhead2000 said:

total enrollment from UM
2006 170 43
2005 177 51
2004 170 42
2003 170 42
2002 170 60
2001 170 59

I agree. UM wants alumni donorship in the future, as does any other university. Does that list include UM-D if you happen to know?

I am so hitting up my pre-med advisor tomorrow. :thumbup:

akademiks1989 said:
Thanks, I'm not really depressed though.

Okay, so this is why I chose UMD over UMAA:

-UMD has most classes taught by professors with Ph.D's.
-UMD is smaller, hence the smaller class sizes.
-UMAA is a party school, and I might get distracted.
-UMD is cheaper.
-UMD gives me more opportunities to interact with professors without fearing other students are competing with me.
-The UMD/UMAA degree are both written as The University of Michigan

But now, I am not staying closed-minded, but don't most students make relationships with profs who write them LOR's beginning as freshman? If that's the case, then if I transfer, won't I be at a disadvantage?

I want to go to med school in 2010, hopefully UM or Wayne State. I'm I in over my head? Seriously, what do I need to get in? Would a MCAT 36+ and G.P.A. of 3.7+ suffice?

Thanks everyone for calming my freshman ass down.

Sorry, for sounding desperate, in advance.

If you get those numbers and good ECs you have a very good chance at most schools. (Except maybe the very top of the top). But since U of M is public and you are in-state you would have a very good chance.

Of course that takes a lot of work.

akademiks1989 said:
I agree. UM wants alumni donorship in the future, as does any other university. Does that list include UM-D if you happen to know?

I am so hitting up my pre-med advisor tomorrow. :thumbup:

Nope UM-AA only. True about the alumni. Also, as a pre-med powerhouse the University has to be confident in it's product.

Ironhead2000 said:

total enrollment from UM
2006 170 43
2005 177 51
2004 170 42
2003 170 42
2002 170 60
2001 170 59

it's a good percentage, but UMich is an enourmous school and everyone and thier mother is a pre-med at Ann Arbor it seems. Lots of students who get into top med schools all around the country here (yeah, I live on campus during the summers, despite the fact I dont go here), There's a lot of competition for a lot of students here who all have the school as thier first choice. it's not that UofM doesnt want thier own undergrads, it's just that there are a ton of overqualified ones who go here, and the school wans diversity (UofM buzzword) in thier incoming classes. Students from Kalamazoo, Hope, etc, probably have it a slight bit easier...though not much.

As I see it: it's awesome that you have the drive and motivation this early- it'll definitely keep you going when you're in the library at 2:30am getting ready for an orgo exam and everyone else is coming back from the bar, stopping at big 10 burrito (except dittozip, who is a good guy in real life).

Also, by being an in-state student, regardless of where your undergraduate school is, you're at an advantage because UMMS is a public school and ~half their class is made up of in-state residents. I've personally asked the director of admissions about this and he always points to the stats that Ironhead2000 mentioned. He also talks a lot about how representative they are of Michigan colleges and universities, so if you do well in your courses and the MCAT, you have as good a chance at admission as anyone. Especially the MCAT, which might end up being the biggest thing in your favor by silencing any doubts about your school, if they even exist to begin with. Use this board, too- there are a lot of really smart people around here that can help you learn from their experiences.

Now- kick butt in your science classes, make sure to take the time to do something great (as in: something you like to do) with your years in undergrad, have fun, and never lose sight of your goals. There is absolutely no reason why you won't achieve all of them. Good luck- and if you have any questions PM me- I went to U-M for undergrad and I'm an applicant for UMMS right now.

akademiks1989 said:
I don't know where you heard that, but that is completely and entirely false. The grading scale for all of the pre-med courses is static, centered around historical average... so refusing to help someone doesn't help you at all. There's no bell curve.

Anyway, I don't want to change your mind; that's a decision for you to make, not me. I've attended both places, but I have a very biased opinion, so there's no reason for me to argue. I just couldn't let those two points stand.