Mt. Sinai (Icahn) vs. University of Michigan

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

user2425

Reaction score
Mount Sinai
Pros:
  1. NYC: all my friends/support system live there. Always have been a “City” person and lived in NYC in the past. Already did the “live in a rural setting outside of your comfort zone” for undergrad and loved it, but I feel like it’s time to think ahead to where I would want to be in the future after my studies and start laying down my roots somewhere. I am almost 100 percent sure I want to do residency in NYC (NYC first choice, Boston second) and live there during my professional life. I feel like I would not want to stay in the Midwest (no family or friends there).
  2. Already know some doctors in NYC that could be potential mentors if I wanted them to be
  3. Easier for my family to visit
  4. Really liked the students currently there, feel like I have a lot of things in common with them and share their ambitions/goals
  5. Big Hispanic patient population, which is important to me (can volunteer as interpreter at the free clinic)
Cons:
  1. Will most probably have to take an extra year for research since I want to go into a competitive specialty (probably Derm), which isn't that big of a deal if I am in NYC and can feel like I am not putting my personal life on hold (as opposed to having to take an extra year of research anywhere else)
  2. Not as much early clinical exposure as UMichigan, but still have opportunities to shadow and do the longitudinal care experience (LCE) during the first year. This is the BIGGEST con compared to UMichigan, which I feel has a stronger curriculum.

University of Michigan

Pros:
  1. More clinical experience (time to do sub-internships, away rotations in NYC)
  2. Flexibility lectures and quizzes (can retake)
  3. You take all the shelves before step 1 and step 2, so you get a lot of practice
  4. Branches and health policy institute I am interested in
  5. Top Derm program, has a pipeline for Underrepresented students interested in matching in Derm, lots of research time/ time to explore subspecialties since you finish your preclinical year way sooner
  6. Also really liked the students (everyone there is extremely kind and welcoming)

Cons:
  1. Ranked grading during M2: 40% honors, 40% high pass, 20% pass. I heard most people get a mix of all those grades in the end anyway, but definitely hear that students at schools without capped clerkship rankings feel less stressed.
  2. Would not live in Midwest after graduating, and would have to restart my life somewhere else.
  3. Work harder to match East Coast than I would if I go to Sinai (?)

Overall, I feel like by choosing Michigan I would be picking the best academic/career choice, in which I will both be able to thrive given the support and resources and will also be able to feel emotionally supported by the administration/very kind non-cutthroat student mentality. Whereas for Mount Sinai, I will be prioritizing my personal life, and will already be able to officially start my adult life (post-college) in the city I would like to live after graduating. :)

Members don't see this ad.

Congrats on the great choices. Honestly both schools have amazing opp; obviously umich is slightly more prestigious but Sinai will also set you up well in the future. I think that Umich is such a great school that you probably could match to the east coast, especially since you already have ties to NYC. Seems like it comes down to how important your support system is to you and whether you would be willing to forgo it for potentially slightly better academic opportunities, which may be worth it if you want to pursue derm. Sinai would not be a bad choice though either since your personal life is extremely important as well.

Reactions: 1 users
Congrats on the great choices. Honestly both schools have amazing opp; obviously umich is slightly more prestigious but Sinai will also set you up well in the future. I think that Umich is such a great school that you probably could match to the east coast, especially since you already have ties to NYC. Seems like it comes down to how important your support system is to you and whether you would be willing to forgo it for potentially slightly better academic opportunities, which may be worth it if you want to pursue derm. Sinai would not be a bad choice though either since your personal life is extremely important as well.
Thank you very much! I appreciate your advice!

Members don't see this ad :)
If anyone has any other advice would greatly appreciate it!

Michigan and you can do away rotations in NYC.

I feel like Sinai is a pretty prestigious school still and having all your personal life there makes Sinai the way to go.

Reactions: 1 user