University of Michigan vs. Weill Cornell

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

howdypartner

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
About me: I’m interested in pursuing academic medicine. I will definitely have to explore more with regards to specialties in medical school, but I currently have interests in Neurology and some surgical specialties. I’d love to get involved in the community wherever I go, and I am also interested in medical Spanish.

The University of Michigan Medical School (expected to graduate with about $62,000 in debt)

Pros:
  • The people I have met here (current students, prospective students, faculty members, etc.) have all been so friendly and cool
  • I visited Ann Arbor recently and I really liked the college town vibes and thought the campus was nice; plus the surrounding area has pleasant places to be outside
  • It seems like there is a large focus on community building here which is important because I would be moving from the west coast and I would need to build a support network
  • Strong school spirit with a college basketball and football team I would be proud to root for
  • Flextime and second chance quizzes during the first year
Neutral:
  • Larger class size (168)
  • 1 year preclinical P/F
Cons:
  • Very cold weather
  • Lack of diversity
  • Car needed
  • Less “prestigious?”

Weill Cornell Medical College (expected to graduate with about $93,000 in debt)

Pros:
  • Before the application cycle began, NYC was the number one location where I hoped to land if not near home
  • A plethora of research opportunities with MSKCC, HSS, and Rockefeller connections
  • NYC is diverse and working in a diverse community is important to me
  • A great set of organizations that fit my background and interests
  • On-campus housing, which supports community building
  • Strong global health connections
  • No car is needed
  • More “prestigious?”
Neutral:
  • Smaller class size (106)
  • 1.5 year preclinical P/F
  • I haven’t interacted with many people here so I can’t make a comment like “the people are all incredibly nice”
Cons:
  • The financial aid is not in its favor
  • Less outdoors space

Summary: I could see myself being very happy at either of these schools. I really enjoyed interacting with virtually every single person at Michigan and I know that I won’t lack opportunity if I go there. On the other hand, Cornell seems to have so many really cool opportunities. I’m visiting NYC for the first time this week to see how I like it. All takes are welcomed!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
I think you’ll get a better sense after you visit NYC. Ann Arbor and NYC are obviously very different, and I think it’s up to you where you want to study. NYC is more exciting and has more opportunities but Ann Arbor is calm and has a good community. In terms of prestige, they’re both great and arguably Michigan is actually more prestigious in medicine. In terms of a lack of diversity in Ann Arbor, I’m sure there are ways to work in the community in Detroit. Either way, both are great programs and it seems like at similar cost, so I would go where you would be happier and more comfortable.

I think you’ll get a better sense after you visit NYC. Ann Arbor and NYC are obviously very different, and I think it’s up to you where you want to study. NYC is more exciting and has more opportunities but Ann Arbor is calm and has a good community. In terms of prestige, they’re both great and arguably Michigan is actually more prestigious in medicine. In terms of a lack of diversity in Ann Arbor, I’m sure there are ways to work in the community in Detroit. Either way, both are great programs and it seems like at similar cost, so I would go where you would be happier and more comfortable.
Thanks for your response, it was very helpful and reassuring! You bring up some great points about how I should be careful not to discount Michigan with regards to prestige and diversity. When it is all said and done, it seems Michigan and Cornell lie on the same tier of medical school and there are definitely programs already in place I can make use of to expose myself to different communities in Michigan. I'll keep these things in mind when I make my decision!

Members don't see this ad :)
Agreed, Cornell as a university is probably more prestigious because it's an Ivy private school, but in medicine, Michigan historically has the edge. Cornell also doesn't have easy access to its other programs which makes interdisciplinary training harder, especially if you want a joint degree, but if you highly value living in NYC this is your chance.

Michigan is actually a more prestigious program. I lived in both A2 and NYC. I have to say that if your heart is set on NYC, you will be very disappointed by A2 very quickly.

Maybe I should not comment here but I did undergrad in A2 and I loved the enviroment and the people. A2 is fantastic and has something for everyone.

Maybe I should not comment here but I did undergrad in A2 and I loved the enviroment and the people. A2 is fantastic and has something for everyone.
Also did undergrad in A2 and quite honestly would have chosen Michigan Med over any medical school if given the opportunity. I also don't think you would need a car in A2 for pre-clinical years.

This is effectively a wash, so I wouldn't be too stressed or overthink it. Go where you like more. Just sounds like NYC would be more your style.