Weill Cornell vs. Ichan Mt. Sinai

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

premedvibesss

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I'm in a rutttttt. I'm so lost as to where to go to med school and I'm hoping y'all could help me out.

• Sinai:
    • Pros:
      • "wellness" of students is a priority
      • Tests are less frequent and are remote, to be taken any time from Friday-Sunday
      • Much nicer facilities - Campus/ housing is new and nice
      • No AOA, no student ranking
      • Step 1 = 6 weeks
    • Cons:
      • 2 years pre-clinical
      • 75-80k more expensive than Cornell
  • Cornell:
    • Pros:
      • 75-80k cheaper than Sinai
      • 1.5 years of pre-clinical
      • Are generous in paying for a lot of things (Step exams, uWorld, etc.)
      • Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center
    • Cons:
      • Campus / housing (at least for first year) is old and gross.
      • Testing is much more frequent, in-person, and students here are generally a bit more stressed than at Sinai
      • Step 1 = 4 weeks

I think I'm placing a lottt of weight on the finances, perhaps more than should be placed. I just feel like considering both schools will get me where I need to be in the future, 80k is a lot?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
There's no denying that expenses play a large role in people's medical school decisions! I think the fact that Cornell is also generous with paying for other things, such as exam prep, is also something to consider. Do you know if Sinai does the same?

Based on the fact you mentioned Sloan Kettering, are you interested in Hem/Onc? MSK is a more nationally recognized name than Sinai, so you'd likely have better research opportunities/cancer connections there.

You also mention the first year housing to be old/gross at Cornell, but I think that is very trivial compared to the fact that you would be saving way more money (+ it's only for one year). I am pro-Cornell, but maybe I am a bit biased since I live in the area.

Reactions: 1 users
There's no denying that expenses play a large role in people's medical school decisions! I think the fact that Cornell is also generous with paying for other things, such as exam prep, is also something to consider. Do you know if Sinai does the same?

Based on the fact you mentioned Sloan Kettering, are you interested in Hem/Onc? MSK is a more nationally recognized name than Sinai, so you'd likely have better research opportunities/cancer connections there.

You also mention the first year housing to be old/gross at Cornell, but I think that is very trivial compared to the fact that you would be saving way more money (+ it's only for one year). I am pro-Cornell, but maybe I am a bit biased since I live in the area.
Thank you so much for your insight!
Sinai does not seem to offer to pay for study material or exams.

I am interested in Hem/Onc, but def not decided.

Yeah, I guess the housing aspect is a bit trivial. I think I was just stunned when I saw the first-year hall, it's like a dungeon haha.

Members don't see this ad :)
I think pretty much every every expert here would strongly suggest the cheaper option, as that seems to be the trend. Considering these are both top institutions it should be a no brainer.

Congratulations, Student Doctor!!

Reactions: 1 user
You get what you pay for.... Essentially, the nicer living situation, the extra 6 mos of pre-clinical and the extra weeks to prep for Step 1 costs $80K. Is that worth it to you?

Reactions: 2 users
Sounds like your heart is towards Siani. Online flexible less frequent testing and no ranking sounds like a dream.

Reactions: 5 users
I would always advocate for people to go where they would be the most happy . In the long run I don’t think 80k is that much money . I would go to sinai that’s where you obviously want to be .

Go where you will be happier with that cost difference. I would suggest Sinai in your case.

Disclaimer: WL by Sinai.

It really depends on what you want. I’d say if you were interested in research and specialization, go to Cornell. If community service and primary care is more your vibe, go to Sinai. I think another poster mentioned this but if your interested in hematology/oncology/ortho, then Cornell without thinking because of MSK, Rockefeller, and HSS. EEHOP at Sinai is one of the best free clinics in the nation (to the point where they have a consulting branch to help other schools start free clinics), so if your interested in underserved care go to Sinai.

Reactions: 3 users