University of Minnesota Child Clinical program

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

psyc4me

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone have information on the UMN child clinical program? I know the adult clinical program is very well respected. The child clinical program seems to be housed more in the Institute of Child Development, rather than the Psychology department. Is it still a good program? I am trying to decide whether to apply there.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Yeah, the child program is one of the best in the country. Some of the most famous child researchers are there, including Dante Cicchetti, Alan Sroufe, Ann Masten, and Nikki Crick. It's heavily research-based, but has an outstanding reputation.

Do you know if it is as hard to get into as the adult clinical program? It's hard to tell from their website.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thats quite the loaded and subjective question actually. Depends on what your stats are. Minnesota's reputation lends itself to being one of the most selective and difficult clinical programs in the entire country. I would imagine GRE 1300's or so, and a long track record as a total "research hound" with pubs.

There website has two application pages - one for the psychology program and one for the institute of child development. It's a little hard to tell which admission stats apply to which program.

I am very early in the process of choosing schools, but I don't want to have too many "reach schools." It sounds like UMN might be a reach school!:laugh:

oh I misunderstood. i thought the child program was part of the department of psychology and their clinical science program. Either way though, admission will be pretty tough and require a heavy research background I'm sure.

I know that they Clinical program accepts 4 people a year. My friend got in there. She had GRE scores over 1400 but no publications.