university of mississippi neuro

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

alateralus88

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Has anyone heard anything from this program..? Like teaching wise, quality of patients, resident- resident interaction... and if in general a good program?

thank you in advance

Members don't see this ad.

alateralus88, I sent you a PM

Hello sim tech!

Do you have any information on U of Mississippi Neurology program? Please let me know. I am interested. Thanks.

Members don't see this ad :)
I interviewed at UMC a few weeks ago. Here is my impression.

Most all specialties are covered, although they lack depth in some specialty areas. Location may be a problem for some people. Jackson is a smaller city (about 150k) in the deep south about 3-4 hours from Memphis and New Orleans. Resident interaction seemed very good and the faculty seemed nice as well. Call is apparently Q4 on wards in PGY1 and PGY2, but seems to lighten during year 3-4. Pay is less than other places that I have applied, but cost of living in MS is cheap. UMC seems very solid if you have an interest in living in MS.

Bad: Schedule is very busy (and ward heavy) for the first two years.
Only two months of elective during the four years of residency.
Pay is 40K as a PGY 1 but the state has sales tax.
City is extremely segregated racially.
Crime is bad on one side of the city.

Good: Outstanding clincal education - residents leave being excellent diagnosticians and being exposed to all of the latest interventions.
Incredible ICU experience. Residents can become very comfortable with vent management, line placement, trachs. (yes, i mean tracheostomies)
Very thorough neurophysiology training.
No problem landing competitive vascular/stroke/ICU/neurophys fellowships
Awesome parking!!!!!!

I'm not a resident but i'm a med student at UMC, so i can give my perspective. The faculty are great! it's a busy service for sure, but you learn so much. We are the only teaching hospital in MS, so we get EVERYTHING here - definately the interesting cases and trauma stuff at least (of course stroke you will see everywhere). If you are interested, we also have some faculty doing research as well. the neuro department works with genetics to trace ataxia and MJD families in the southeast and although the major physician in charge of this is gone, the research still exists. We have good clinics at two locations, one on campus and one about 1.5 mi away at the Jackson Medical Mall. the main hospital is brand new - it opened last year and has the latest technologies. We have a new research building that is expected to open at the beginning of next year. You do get free parking as a resident in a garage that is actually attached to the hospital - not that it's really that cold here, but i'ts nice when its hot and raining.
It's a good program and continues to improve each year. Jackson is a good place to live; crime is not too bad and there are lots of things to do. Let me know if i can answer any questions for you from the inside! good luck to all :)