University of MN - do they screen

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

KatieJune

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know if University of MN screens out of state applicants for secondaries?

Members don't see this ad.

I would assume so. Rumor has it that not every in-state person gets an interview this year. So I'd assume an out of stater will get screened. And since it's a state school I'd bet it won't be easy to get into. But then again, rumor has it that the U of MN wants to raise it's avg. GPA/MCAT and is looking nationally to do so.

Any reason you want to go to the U of MN? (I'm assuming you're from CA)

I just got back as an out-of-stater interviewing at the University of Minnesota. I was under the impression that they do not screen before sending out secondaries.

As for the out-of-state focus, there has been a little bit of a change in their mission and they have a new dean coming in, and it may be part of her plan to increase the scores/gpa etc. in trying to boost the visibility and reputation of the school. Over the last few years they've been trying to emphasize the research element of their curriculum, trying to become a school with the same sort of bimodal aspect as U of Michigan or U of Washington.

I don't really see any reason why an out-of-stater should rule out University of Minnesota; it has a nice hybrid curriculum and a systems-based approach, they have plenty of hospitals to choose from for a wide variety of experiences in the clinical years, and the faculty were universally pretty positively received by the others I interviewed with. I wouldn't say it's perfect - it's not a very diverse class in some ways...and it is in, as my cab driver put it, "St. Pathetic and Minnehopeless". To put it in perspective, it was my fifth interview and I liked Vanderbilt, Case Western, and Pittsburgh more than Minnesota, and I liked Minnesota more than Thomas Jefferson.

Members don't see this ad :)
yes they do screen...they said so in the letter they sent to me for a secondary invite.

words of caution: i've found it impossible to get a live person on the phone at the admission's office.

so frustrating!

Originally posted by Joe Joe on da Radio
yes they do screen...they said so in the letter they sent to me for a secondary invite.

words of caution: i've found it impossible to get a live person on the phone at the admission's office.

so frustrating!

Really??? Wow. Every time I call I either get Lola Gavin (very nice lady), or the other lady who schedules interviews. Just call during normal business hours (we're in central time here) and I'm sure you'll get ahold of somebody. So far I'd have to say MN is one of the most human programs to apply to. But, I may be biased ;)

By the way - I call the number they list on their letterhead - it's nice that they don't hide it like some schools (Harvard, Pritzker)

Univ of MN screening is based upon your GPA and MCAT score prior to sending you a secondary. Not all in-state applicants are interviewed. Almost all applicanta that receive a secondary are interviewed. Last year, out of 1700 applicants, 580 were interviewed. They offer spots of admission to 265 people to bring their class to 165.

If you are out of state, I would submit the AMCAS and then await a secondary. If you don't meet their standards, you won't have to waste your money paying a secondary fee.

Originally posted by Discoteca
Univ of MN screening is based upon your GPA and MCAT score prior to sending you a secondary. Not all in-state applicants are interviewed. Almost all applicanta that receive a secondary are interviewed. Last year, out of 1700 applicants, 580 were interviewed. They offer spots of admission to 265 people to bring their class to 165.

If you are out of state, I would submit the AMCAS and then await a secondary. If you don't meet their standards, you won't have to waste your money paying a secondary fee.

Is that MSAR info?

I (erin) interviewed at Minnesota on Monday and loved it. I am biased though since my dad is a doctor in Lakeville (south of the Twin Cities) and IMO, it is a much better school reputation-wise than the 2 allopathic med schools in my state of official residence (New Jersey). I don't mind the relative lack of diversity in the Midwest since I went to a school in a small city for undegrad which has a similar student population. Anyway, I got a secondary relatively quickly and heard through word-of-mouth that my ties to the state were a factor along with my GPA and MCAT (which are good but not spectacular) in being selected for a secondary. If accepted to Minnesota, I am definitely going! good luck to all applicants.

Good luck clittle1981! Let us know when you find out. I interview on the 18th and am really hoping to get word ASAP. My lab (in the Twin Cities) just got a large grant, and my PI wants me to do my PhD in the lab. If I get into the U I'm thinking I will tack on the PhD at some point - hopefully as MSTP but that won't be a deciding factor. Anyway...I really want to get an acceptance to the U of MN soon so I know I'm sticking around. And my fiance would appreciate it too.

Is that MSAR info? [/QUOTE]

No, personal experience. They told us this at the orientation before our interview.

i've heard that the diversity issue at U of MN is overblown, and for a state that has a reputation of being lilly-white you actually see a patient population consisting of many minorities and immigrants during clinical rotations in minneapolis and st. paul.

Originally posted by tpt21
i've heard that the diversity issue at U of MN is overblown, and for a state that has a reputation of being lilly-white you actually see a patient population consisting of many minorities and immigrants during clinical rotations in minneapolis and st. paul.

I spend a bit of time in a clinic at HCMC (the county hospital in Minneapolis) - we do see a fair number of East African patients (mostly Somali) as well as a number of hispanic and african american patients. So yeah, I think the diversity issue is rather overblown.

Can you tell me the timing of your applications?

My file was completed in mid-september, I believe, but I have not heard from them yet. Would love to go there though. I am officially a state resident although I have never lived there- my parents did for two years.

When did you guys receive your invites in realtion to when you file was completed. When did you interview, and did they tell you when to expect hearing back from them?

Thanks,
And good luck to all those who interviewed!!! And those of us waiting!