University of Montana-Skaggs School of Pharmacy 2009 Applicants

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SeattleCoug

Pharmacy Student
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I haven't seen any new threads about the University of Montana program, so I thought I'd start one to get some information.

I applied there for a number of reasons. The school is pretty high on my list because it is close to my home city of Seattle. I have heard great things about the program that are a result of it's smaller class size.

Has anyone else applied there? I talked to Erika in admissions today and she said that the admissions committee is going to be meeting today and she will be sending out interview invitations for March 21st tomorrow around noon.

If you applied how far up on the list is it for you? Do you have anymore information?

Members don't see this ad.

I applied and I would say that it is my #2 or #3 on my list of schools that I want to go to. Due to the fact that most schools I applied to heavily favor instate applicants I will go anywhere and Montana is still pretty close to home for me. That is cool that she told you she is sending out invites tomorrow. I would imagine it will be by email, that means I will be checking my email way too much these next couple of days.

I applied and I would say that it is my #2 or #3 on my list of schools that I want to go to. Due to the fact that most schools I applied to heavily favor instate applicants I will go anywhere and Montana is still pretty close to home for me. That is cool that she told you she is sending out invites tomorrow. I would imagine it will be by email, that means I will be checking my email way too much these next couple of days.

Yes, she did say she'll be sending out invitations by email.

Good luck to you. I am headed to interview with Midwestern tomorrow so won't be able to check my email during the day. :eek: I'll be thinking about it all day though!

Members don't see this ad :)
sweeet. Ive been checking my emails and mail everyday to find out from Montana..almost decided to call them today until I read your posts. I was getting worried b/c the 21st is coming up soon. Anyways good luck!

I got my interview invite!!!!!! It came in around 10 am. Good luck everyone else!!!

Last edited:
I got mine too. I wonder what percentage of the applicant pool is invited for interview.. Probably quite a bit.

Montana actually does HEAVILY favor instate applicants. They do take some out of state because they don't get that many applicants period. Good luck you guys Missoula is a nice city :thumbup:

I got mine too. I wonder what percentage of the applicant pool is invited for interview.. Probably quite a bit.

I got my interview invite!!!!!! It came in around 10 am. Good luck everyone else!!!

Good luck! I signed up for the afternoon session. See ya there!

Congratulations you guys! Are you all Montana residents?

I did not get an invite but they did say I was classified as a competitive applicant and asked if I would be available for the interview if any of their current invitees turned down the invite. We'll see what happens.:xf:

Congratulations you guys! Are you all Montana residents?

I did not get an invite but they did say I was classified as a competitive applicant and asked if I would be available for the interview if any of their current invitees turned down the invite. We'll see what happens.:xf:

No I am not a resident. That is a bummer, hopefully enough people that don't really care about Montana will hear from another school and cancel their interview. How did your interview with midwestern go. The way schools accept students for interviews doesn't make since to me, I applied to midwestern and didn't get an interview. You win some, you lose some I guess.

Yeah, I'm a Montana resident. I'm glad all of my work up to this point allowed me an interview!

No I am not a resident. That is a bummer, hopefully enough people that don't really care about Montana will hear from another school and cancel their interview. How did your interview with midwestern go. The way schools accept students for interviews doesn't make since to me, I applied to midwestern and didn't get an interview. You win some, you lose some I guess.

I can at least be happy that they didn't reject me outright, at least that is how I am interpreting the situation.

The interview with Midwestern went really good. Their facilities are small, but brand new. They seemed to have a different philosophy than the other schools with whom I have interviewed in that they are focused on developing each student's character with a knowledge of pharmacy rather than the student just be a fountain of knowledge. They have definitely moved up on my list. It was the first group interview; there were 3 interviewers and 3 applicants.

Nope not a resident of Montana, but I am in the WICHE PSEP program. I wished they sent out the invitations earlier, I shelled out 825 bucks for my plane ticket. Good luck you guys!

Members don't see this ad :)
Ouch, Where are you flying from?

BTW, good luck everyone.

Congrats!

I am not sure what the percentage ends up being invited, but she did say that about 35 people were put on an alternate list. They would be inviting people from this list as soon as they assess how many decline the initial invitation. Erika said she asked people to respond by Wednesday at noon, so she hopes to send out additional invites by Thursday or Friday as spots become available.

We'll see, because I am one of those 35 who are in limbo at the moment.:xf:

This is the only school I applied to. I figure if I dont get accepted to my in-state pharmacy school then I probably won't get in anywhere, and will need to improve my credentials. << probably flawed thinking, but it makes sense to me :idea:

Looking deeper into Montana's program, I noticed that they admit 65 students a year. They are only doing interviews on the 21st of this month correct? How many interviews are they planning on doing on the 21st? I've been to a couple interviews already and the most interviews any of the schools did was like 50. So I guess I am wondering how are they going to cram enough interviews in to actually be able to reject some people?

Looking deeper into Montana's program, I noticed that they admit 65 students a year. They are only doing interviews on the 21st of this month correct? How many interviews are they planning on doing on the 21st? I've been to a couple interviews already and the most interviews any of the schools did was like 50. So I guess I am wondering how are they going to cram enough interviews in to actually be able to reject some people?

It is my understanding, from the website and conversations with Erika from admissions, that their only interview date is March 21st. However, she did mention the option of video conferences if out of state applicants couldn't make the trip to Montana.

I am not sure about answering your other questions. I would suggest that you email or call Erika Claxton. She has answered all my questions so far and is VERY helpful. PM me if you would like her contact info.

I'm really curious about how many applicants Skaggs interviews. Just by guessing, they can't interview more than 80-100.

They typically interview 110-130 applicants. Anyone want to flip a coin? Just kidding....

Looks like I will not be interviewing this weekend as all of the slots were filled up. Good luck to those of you who will be there!!

How did everyone elses inteview go? My interviewers were pretty laid back. I still was pretty nervous, and answered a question somewhat "wrongly" in my opinion. There were 113 interviewees split in two sessions. I'll post once I get rejected/waitlisted/accepted.

EDIT: The morning session was ran smoothly and professionally. I really like their setup.

Last edited:
I thought things went really well also. Who did you have as your interviewers? I had Lori Morin (she was way cool) and Ken Chatriand (cool too).

Do you know when they email the rejection/acceptance/waitlist notifications?

well they said they were meeting on tuesday, so I expect to recieve a letter by next saturday. But I won't be too worried if i don't since they said everyone gets a letter whether it be acceptance or denial.

Sorry, I forgot to mention who my interviewERs were. Curtis Noonan and Lisa Barnes. Both of t hem were really nice.

Last edited:
Every should recieve their letters regarding acceptance/rejection/waitlist notification probably by the first or 2nd week of april.

What is the acceptance rate for out of state applicants at Montana, and is there any preference for applicants from the NW?

You'll have to ask Erika Claxton that. She's extremely helpful and knowledgable. Her email address is on the UM pharmacy site.

I have to wait and send in my spring semester grades before they decide what to do with me. They have already accepted the "best" applicants, but there are still spots available.

Anyone that applied to Skaggs and recieved a letter, please do post the outcome in this thread. Thanks.

I received a denial letter, but I knew it was coming when I went off the interview alternate list a few weeks back. Good luck to the rest of you!

I got waitlisted as well but i got into my first choice anyways so it doesn't really matter.

Grats^. What were your stats if you don't mind posting? I'm just trying to see what my chances might be.

I have a 3.79 overall and a 3.8 science, I only shadowed a pharmacist and am not a pharm tech (which is what I think hurt me at montana), and I am also out of state. My PCAT score was pretty horrendous as well, 67 composite. Anyways good luck to all the other applicants that really want to get into Montana, I wish you the best.

All of your stats are better than mine by a small margin. Looks like it's possible I'll have to do one more year of classes and retake the pcat again. I can only hope now ;) I hope there's alot others like you that got in somewhere else, LOL.

I hear they are a very good school, I am from Montana (Great Falls) and will be applying for the Pre-Pharm program in spring. Missoula is a beautiful city when there are no fires around lol! Good luck to those who applied.

Erika said the latest letters were sent out today. I'm a little bit anxious now because this is basically the final cut.

Hey, anyone out there that either got an acceptance letter or knows someone that got an acceptance letter that may deny? I was waitlisted and am number 1 on the list and really would like to know if I should start planning my departure. I have kids and need to find a place to live as soon as possible.:)

Montana actually does HEAVILY favor instate applicants. They do take some out of state because they don't get that many applicants period. Good luck you guys Missoula is a nice city :thumbup:

Actually this is wrong.

Montana does favor the in state residents TO A POINT. there is typically a 40/25 split though.

The class admitted is 65 people. Only 65 applicants get in of about 360 applicants. There are many applicants and it is one of the most competitive that I know of in the west (from my experience with other schools). The University of Montana has implemented another course into the pre-pharmacy curriculum...anatomy. Makes sense right? lol.

For all of you applying for this coming up application year...I suggest you have a B or better in all of your classes and higher than a 65 on your PCAT. That is pretty standard, but that is the MINIMUM i know of with my class.

If you have any questions, feel free to ask