University of ND???

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Stayce

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone out there have any experiences relating to UND? Interviews, applications, etc? I am a ND resident applying to UND next year and would like to know anything about them from previous applicants, interviewees, or people who have knowledge of their avg MCAT and GPA. I have called and spoken with an advisor there, but of course, she would not tell me anything other than what a wonderful place it was. Any comments or assistance would be appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

I applied to UND as an in-state resident a few years back...

Back in the day, I remember getting my invite to interview at UND quite late... since they're non-AMCAS, they have their own way of doing things. I declined my interview (got very lucky and was accepted to Hopkins), but I have friends at UND who told me all about it. Apparently the interviews are 3 on 3... 3 applicants are interviewed by a med student, a clinician, and someone else (administrator, PhD, etc) in a panel/round table format.

Since UND restricts its applicant pool, (in-state and American Indians only), the result is that few people apply. If you're invited to interview, your chances of getting in are quite high. The average GPA and MCAT at UND are substantially below the national average (~3.4-ish and ~26)... I think they're more concerned with training people from ND who will stay in ND to practice medicine. My understanding is that the admissions committee values clinical experience quite highly.

Good luck! Feel free to contact me ([email protected]) if you have any questions I could help answer.

doepug
MS II, Johns Hopkins

Members don't see this ad :)
I applied there myself, as did some other people on this board, and I have some newer information for you.

I applied in-state. They are a non-AMCAS school, but there is an entirely online application which wasn't very hard. It includes an essay, so I just used my AMCAS personal statement. The application was due November 1st, and there is no secondary. Basically, if they like you enough, you get an interview. They interview from I think mid December to early January, on weekends, :) and issue acceptances all at once after the interviews are concluded. The interview is 3 on 1, two faculty members and one student. I was expecting an inquisition, but it wasn't bad at all; the interviewers took turns asking questions. After a very short time the awkwardness disappeared and they were laughing at my jokes and we were getting along famously. I think they interviewed something like 150, accept about 100, and fill a class of about 50-60. Most applicants are in-state, but they have a special pathway for Native Americans (INMED), which I think accepts about 5 students; they have places set aside for WICHE applicants; and residents of nearby states like Minnesota; "long term" ND residents are overwhelmingly favored, however.

UND vastly exceeded my expectations. All the facilities are very new and state-of-the-art, the curriculum is progressive, and the students all seem very happy. UND is a great school if you are interested in rural medicine, but it is possible to match in many other fields (for exaple, I know personally of people who matched in OB/GYN at Iowa and general surgery at MCW, both strong programs).

Good luck, Stayce. :)

Thank you for the very helpful information! I look forward to applying and will see what happens. I have been a resident of ND my whole life, with a co-residency in Wyoming for awhile. (Don't ask! :) ) Good Luck and thanks again!

I have a somewhat less encouraging UND experience. I applied this year and have been waitlisted. My stats are decent (3.75, 29). They offered to send my interview comments, and they were all very good (poised, confident, would be a good addition, etc.) The only negative comment was that I am a little short on clinical experience. I have done some shadowing and volunteering (at a mental health establishment), but I guess it wasn't sufficient. I am a ND resident. I asked about the application process, too, so I am very up-to-date about that. Ideally, their class size is around 57 (40 ND residents, 5 MN studnets, 5 WICHE students, and 7 INMED). This year, they accepted exactly 42 ND residents (but that varies slightly from year to year based on the number game, but they don't usually over-accept very much). The waitlist is complicated, as MN and WICHE waitlisted students cannot take ND spots but ND waitlisted students can take MN and WICHE spots. Last year, they went down pretty far on the waitlist (to 33, I think, so if that happens again I'm in for sure) but in the previous years they didn't go down so low. If you have any more questions, please feel free to ask.

Well this is very encouraging, as I have quite a bit of clinical experience(6+ years), ranging from a C.N.A. to a respite care provider for disabled children with Easter Seals of America. I am hoping that will shed some light on my not-so-impressive GPA and I have yet to take the MCAT this year. Do you have any idea how much clinical experience they are looking for? What school do you ND residents attend in ND,if you don't mind me asking?