University of New England Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Thanks, jkong! The first time i'm traveling to Portland, so excited. How far is the Hotel to UNE? how long does it take? How much does it cost for ASAP Taxi?:p Since the interview check in is early 8:15-8:45, I am thinking of renting a car. How do you think? How about the airport shuttle (in case I don't rent a car) if I want to catch the 6:00AM flight? I am sorry for being a bother. Thank!

La Quinta to UNE is 2 mi. away (10 minutes?). You can call them when you land and they'll come pick you up. They offer the shuttle service from 4:30am-10pm.
* free high speed internet
* free continential breakfast

ASAP Taxi has $2 off coupons (ask La Quinta Front Desk for some) so it was $8 ($10 total) from La Quinta and UNE. You can call ASAP Taxi the night before and ask them to be at the hotel at 7:45am. There's only one La Quinta so they know where you'll be :)

I used taxi, SouCal rented a car. He might be a better person to ask.

Members don't see this ad.

Thanks, jkong! The first time i'm traveling to Portland, so excited. How far is the Hotel to UNE? how long does it take? How much does it cost for ASAP Taxi?:p Since the interview check in is early 8:15-8:45, I am thinking of renting a car. How do you think? How about the airport shuttle (in case I don't rent a car) if I want to catch the 6:00AM flight? I am sorry for being a bother. Thank!
I was jacked a lot of money for renting a car, because I didn't book ahead. So the NICE lady upgraded me to a Malibu with onstar service and satellite radio, ended up costing me 150-160 for 2 day-rental. I had bad experience renting cars for my interviews, maybe cuz I do look kidda dumb. lol. I love renting car though, cuz I usually cruise around after my interviews. The only good experience I had was in Denver, I booked ahead and paid for the insurance online too (you can use your insurance), so an economy car was only 29 bucks, my insurance was 18. So yeah, if you are the type who likes to go around, definitely rent a car, but remember to book online, and bring the confirmation with you. haha. If you fly back right after the interview. You don't really need to rent a car.

I think I know you. You asked me this over phone XD.
Edit: nvm, wrong person.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
"Appalachian"? :D
Congrats everyone!

I'm the same as SouCal... I try not to give my opinions anymore either. Just please remember that this entire application process should be tailored for YOU! I know everyone asks for second opinions but everyone is different with different backgrounds with different budgets and going to pharmacy school for different reasons ('tis true!)

At the end of the day, all you got is you and your decision.

How many people were at the interview on the 25th? I'm curious on how many seats are filled...
Hello, I was at the interview on the 25th :)

haha i was one of the asian girl in black. not very descriptive, in deed, but i don't know how else to describe myself. I don't think we've met though. :)

haha i was one of the asian girl in black. not very descriptive, in deed, but i don't know how else to describe myself. I don't think we've met though. :)

I was pretty quiet that day bc too excited to get any sleep the night before. I sat in the middle column, towards the front.

btw did you get accepted?

I was pretty quiet that day bc too excited to get any sleep the night before. I sat in the middle column, towards the front.

btw did you get accepted?
yeah but conditionally accepted cause I still haven't finished one of the prereq. boo :(

yeah but conditionally accepted cause I still haven't finished one of the prereq. boo :(

i'm conditionally accepted too. but they only require a C or better. that's not very difficult to get.which class do u still have?

physio with lab. how bout you? are you considering other schools as well?

Just the 2nd part of General Chemistry (retaking for a better grade). I'm 100% going to this school. I've since ignored all other inquiries from other schools, also because I haven't heard back from them. Have you decided where you're going to go? btw, where are you from?

i am going to UNE. i just hope i do well in class :) i'm from Cali. U? how are you looking for apartments? I honestly

Members don't see this ad :)
i am going to UNE. i just hope i do well in class :) i'm from Cali. U? how are you looking for apartments? I honestly
This schools is SO biased toward CA candidates! LOL !!! Congrats! We're on Facebook too.

Last edited:

Congrats! Most of us on the forum are from CA as well. :)

You can look for apartments either on craigslist, UNE's website for on-campus housing or check out BaySide Apartments which is popular with UNE students because you're only responsible for your own rent and the apartments come furnished. However there are pros/cons so carefully review what you need.

I'm looking for a studio and I do intend to bring my car... long drive ahead! :thumbup:

Hi everyone. I am late to the UNE party train but hopefully my interview goes well! Have read this entire thread and am grateful to you guys for being so helpful. Wish me luck on this interview! Anyone know a rough estimate of how many seats have already been filled? I really want to go here. Hopefully a campus tour will solidify my decision.

Any tips for the interview besides being myself? I'm hoping to have a very strong interview to make up for less than stellar gpa/pcat scores =(

What are everyone's specific interests for going to UNE besides the fact that you were accepted?

Congrats to everyone who got in! I just declined so hopefully that helps someone out! :)

Hi everyone. I am late to the UNE party train but hopefully my interview goes well! Have read this entire thread and am grateful to you guys for being so helpful. Wish me luck on this interview! Anyone know a rough estimate of how many seats have already been filled? I really want to go here. Hopefully a campus tour will solidify my decision.

Any tips for the interview besides being myself? I'm hoping to have a very strong interview to make up for less than stellar gpa/pcat scores =(

What are everyone's specific interests for going to UNE besides the fact that you were accepted?

Hi Whitecoat! We have no idea how many seats have been filled but we do know some people have been placed on the waitlist.

Tips:
Like I said earlier, compile a bunch of questions and kinda just go over what your answers would be and how you would want to say it. They use the same interview questions I feel, so check out SDN's Interview Feedback.

I myself have less than great GPA and PCAT too but I tried to convey how outgoing I am, how I am a well-rounded person that would make up for my GPA with leadership and extracurriculars, and especially... passion!

Why UNE interests me... hahaha oh boy. my list is way in the beginning of my posts (you can checkout my profile and search for all my posts).

My personal pharmacy career interest is HIV/AIDS outpatient clinic. It's a topic that I have a great interest in since 10th grade when my first community service project was with APLA (AIDS Project, Los Angeles) and through college where I volunteered (Special Delivery/Mama's Deliver) and ... well now... work :)

I LOVE my patients! I'm going to miss them when I leave :(

Congrats to everyone who got in! I just declined so hopefully that helps someone out! :)
Aww :( well good luck wherever you'll go! :thumbup:

I like the fact that they care about the students, and see the efforts we put into the interview. They have nuclear and pet meds, which I like. they let you do rotation out of the country if you choose to (so far it's either Thailand or Ghana). They have a specific rotation site for alternative meds. Maine lobster! Acadia! I think I run out of things to say lol. good luck!

I like the fact that they care about the students, and see the efforts we put into the interview. They have nuclear and pet meds, which I like. they let you do rotation out of the country if you choose to (so far it's either Thailand or Ghana). They have a specific rotation site for alternative meds. Maine lobster! Acadia! I think I run out of things to say lol. good luck!

Isn't it Taiwan and Ghana? The Ghana program exists and I believe they're still working on the program to Taiwan.

but I could be wrong

Be it Ghana, Thailand, or Taiwan -- that sounds incredible. I didn't find any of that on their website. That's for APPE right? Where are the sites for their alternative meds located?

And jkong, your posts have been very helpful. I'll look into your previous posts. Your passion sounds genuine. I hope I can join you guys too!

Isn't it Taiwan and Ghana? The Ghana program exists and I believe they're still working on the program to Taiwan.

but I could be wrong
I think it's Thailand and Ghana, I'll ask the P1 to confirm, cuz that what he said he wants to do, since it's so close to VN, and he wants to back to VN afterward. They are trying to expand to other nations, so maybe we will have more options later. And yes, you can only to this during your 4th year and you have to do back to back rotation so it's at least 3 months.

Congratulations to all who got accepted, and Good Luck to all who are waiting to hear back.

Just wondering, is there anybody from the Bay Area, who plan to attend UNE this fall?

Congratulations to all who got accepted, and Good Luck to all who are waiting to hear back.

Just wondering, is there anybody from the Bay Area, who plan to attend UNE this fall?

I know someone is :)
Will you? Congrats!

i have the interview date on 4/22 but i dont think ill be going in anymore...its awesome to see how all of you are soo excited about the school...the exorbitantly high tuition and candidate status and me running out of money to go to all these interviews (have one more next weekend :scared:) is making me withdraw....i knw late notice but hopefully they can give some1 else a chance! good luck to all of u!

i have the interview date on 4/22 but i dont think ill be going in anymore...its awesome to see how all of you are soo excited about the school...the exorbitantly high tuition and candidate status and me running out of money to go to all these interviews (have one more next weekend :scared:) is making me withdraw....i knw late notice but hopefully they can give some1 else a chance! good luck to all of u!
Good luck with your remaining interview. I thought Regis's tuition is higher than UNE's (one of the reasons why I declined my seat). The candidate status is the same for 2 schools, but Regis doesn't have a permanent Dean, so it's a bit iffy. I am pretty both wouldn't have problems obtaining their full accreditation though.

Didn't UNE get a new dean? I think I read that in the earlier threads. I wonder why they left? Can't wait for some Maine lobster. I've been so deprived!

Thanks everyone for your responses. I'll try to keep you updated on my status. Did any of you interview at UH-Hilo college of pharmacy? I'm waitlisted there... Did anyone get accepted but opted for UNE instead?

Last edited:
Didn't UNE get a new dean? I think I read that in the earlier threads. I wonder why they left? Can't wait for some Maine lobster. I've been so deprived!

Thanks everyone for your responses. I'll try to keep you updated on my status. Did any of you interview at UH-Hilo college of pharmacy? I'm waitlisted there... Did anyone get accepted but opted for UNE instead?
Yup. The old UNE Dean stepped out and they have a new Dean. Regis has the same situation. The old Dean left the school, but nobody in the program wants to be Dean. So they have an Interim Dean, temporary Dean, and they are interviewing people for the Dean position. Kidda odds.

Yup. The old UNE Dean stepped out and they have a new Dean. Regis has the same situation. The old Dean left the school, but nobody in the program wants to be Dean. So they have an Interim Dean, temporary Dean, and they are interviewing people for the Dean position. Kidda odds.

So Gayle Brazeau isn't the real "Dean"? Weird.

Anyone else interviewing April 22? I'm resting up! Zenning out. Lol.

Good luck last cycle candidates!!

Last edited:
So Gayle Brazeau isn't the real "Dean"? Weird.

Anyone else interviewing April 22? I'm resting up! Zenning out. Lol.
Dr. Brazeau is the 2nd Dean now for UNE after the 1st Dean stepped down. I was talking about the Interim Dean for Regis, because I believe dilemma12 also applied for that school. I got accepted there, but had some personal issues so I decided to decline my seat. I like UNE a lot better anyway.

Hilo University does Close-file interview, so everyone who applies automatically get an interview, and they look at your application after the interview. I was waitlisted also, but decided to withdraw. I think it's a bit waste of time to go for the interview then wait for 2 weeks for the result you could have known way earlier.

I interviewed to day with about 50 other students :eek:

The Portland area is quaint but very livable! I enjoyed the staff and students very much so this has quickly become my top choice school.

They said there is a very high chance those that interviewed today will be waitlisted just because of the nature of the rolling interview -- which is totally understandable but I'm crossing my fingers for that rare acceptance letter.

I want to thank everyone in this thread for being so helpful. It makes this school look so much better in my eyes that they have dedicated students willing to help other students. Big plus for me.

Will keep you updated if I get denied, waitlisted, or accepted...

I interviewed to day with about 50 other students :eek:

The Portland area is quaint but very livable! I enjoyed the staff and students very much so this has quickly become my top choice school.

They said there is a very high chance those that interviewed today will be waitlisted just because of the nature of the rolling interview -- which is totally understandable but I'm crossing my fingers for that rare acceptance letter.

I want to thank everyone in this thread for being so helpful. It makes this school look so much better in my eyes that they have dedicated students willing to help other students. Big plus for me.

Will keep you updated if I get denied, waitlisted, or accepted...

Holy cow 50! that's quite a lot. BEST OF LUCK Whitecoat! :) I'll have my fingers crossed for you! let us know <3 :xf::xf::xf:

Man... after reading all the comments I kind of regret turning down my interview. I went to so many interviews, started to run out of money. Looks like lots of asians from Cali. I think I would of been at home at UNE lol. I got accepted into MCPHS manchester a few days before my interview and so I decided to not attend the interview at UNE. I should of went.

No one seems to post on any of the MCPHS threads so i'm a little bit jealous of you guys and the camaraderie here!

Manchester isn't that far from you guys, I'm a lobster fanatic so I'll be heading up there for the fame lobster rolls and such whenever I get the chance. I'd like to meet up or make new friends in New England if thats cool with you guys?

Man... after reading all the comments I kind of regret turning down my interview. I went to so many interviews, started to run out of money. Looks like lots of asians from Cali. I think I would of been at home at UNE lol. I got accepted into MCPHS manchester a few days before my interview and so I decided to not attend the interview at UNE. I should of went.

No one seems to post on any of the MCPHS threads so i'm a little bit jealous of you guys and the camaraderie here!

Manchester isn't that far from you guys, I'm a lobster fanatic so I'll be heading up there for the fame lobster rolls and such whenever I get the chance. I'd like to meet up or make new friends in New England if thats cool with you guys?

:) always welcomed. My friend got into MCPHS so we'll try to visit too. Ikea trips!! :D

:) always welcomed. My friend got into MCPHS so we'll try to visit too. Ikea trips!! :D
Speak for yourself! Jkong. lol. My enemy at work got in the Worcester/MCPHS. Urg. :laugh:. My pharmacist went to MCPHS and she said her hair turned frosty while she was walking from her apt to school (2 block-distance) lol. It will be worse in Maine!

Speak for yourself! Jkong. lol. My enemy at work got in the Worcester/MCPHS. Urg. :laugh:. My pharmacist went to MCPHS and she said her hair turned frosty while she was walking from her apt to school (2 block-distance) lol. It will be worse in Maine!

How did your pharmacist like MCPHS?

I'm curious if MCPHS and UNE share the same rotation sites.

I'm curious if MCPHS and UNE share the same rotation sites.
Probably not, cuz the Associate Dean for UNE said that they try to keep our rotation sites close to the school so we can enough time to come back to school after rotations. Besides, we have options to do rotation (back to back for 3 months) outside of the country in Ghana or Thailand (yes it's confirmed Jkong). I am not sure if they let us to rotations out of state, cuz I heard it's a PITA.

Last edited:
Probably not, cuz the Associate Dean for UNE said that they try to keep our rotation sites close to the school so we can enough time to come back to school after rotations. Besides, we have options to do rotation (back to back for 3 months) outside of the country in Ghana or Thailand (yes it's confirmed Jkong). I am not sure if they let us to rotations out of state, cuz I heard it's a PITA.

Nice! Ghana and Thailand! Wish we had rotations like that. Every school that i interviewed at had rotations out of state. At MCPHS we have six 6 week rotations our last year. It's gonna be a pita trying to find places to live for 6 weeks at a time!
But I guess finishing a year earlier will be worth it.

Thailand would be so cool! :D