University of North Florida Sociology B.A. w/concentration in Social Welfare?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BrightSide820

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm planning on attending UNF in the spring of 2012 and majoring in Sociology. I'm currently working on my general A.A. and will obtain my degree at the end of Fall 2011.

My question to all of you is, if I plan on pursuing a Masters in Mental Health Counseling after I obtain my B.A., would it be wise to do the Social Welfare concentration?

Also, if there's anyone out there currently pursuing any of the above at UNF, I would love to get your insight as to the best teachers/electives/internships, etc. as well as the positives and negatives you've come across so far.

Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

Hello, I'm currently a Junior majoring in Psychology and minoring in Social Welfare and Spanish. The Social Welfare program at UNF is excellent with all of the opportunities at hand and having a couple of adjunct professors from FSU's MSW program. Professors (Jennifer Spaulding-Givens, and Bill Kintz) are quite brilliant when it comes to teaching Social Welfare's past, present, and future. Also, the program pairs you with an array of internship opportunities. Jacksonville has numerous non-profit organizations everything from JASMYN (Jacksonville Area Sexual Minority Youth Network) which works with LGBT youth and emerging adults to Women's Center of Jacksonville, and governmental agencies. I've met a good amount of graduates who ended up at NYU, UT Austin, due to the great experiences and background education they received at UNF. In the near future the sociology department plans to add a BSW then maybe it would lead to an MSW.

Hello, I'm currently a Junior majoring in Psychology and minoring in Social Welfare and Spanish. The Social Welfare program at UNF is excellent with all of the opportunities at hand and having a couple of adjunct professors from FSU's MSW program. Professors (Jennifer Spaulding-Givens, and Bill Kintz) are quite brilliant when it comes to teaching Social Welfare's past, present, and future. Also, the program pairs you with an array of internship opportunities. Jacksonville has numerous non-profit organizations everything from JASMYN (Jacksonville Area Sexual Minority Youth Network) which works with LGBT youth and emerging adults to Women's Center of Jacksonville, and governmental agencies. I've met a good amount of graduates who ended up at NYU, UT Austin, due to the great experiences and background education they received at UNF. In the near future the sociology department plans to add a BSW then maybe it would lead to an MSW.

Thank you for the insight!